NIL/Pay For Play Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bumba, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,183
    Transfer portal and NIL have become a joke. Long term sustainability for both is limited. Has to be. I'm all for allowing kids to transfer. How many 18 year olds make good decisions? So let everyone transfer one time within their first two years without having to sit out a year. No penalty. Transferring as an upperclassman will require sitting out a year unless there are extending circumstances, such as an illness at home, head coach leaving, etc. Limited reasons for not having sit out a year if you leave as a junior or senior. Limit transfers to 2 times over 4 years for each kid, unless for extenuating circumstances and by petition only. Over 1600 kids in the transfer portal this year is laughable.

NIL is totally being abused. Who saw that coming? Best comment I heard recently was that these kids are actually being paid to play and not really for their name, image or likeness. Have you seen some of the "efforts" put forth by so-called sponsors to live within the NIL rules that really have zero positive impact on the business/supporter who is paying? It's a joke. Don't kid yourself either if you don't believe that schools are not involved in these negotiations or at least setting up the situations or greasing the skids for kids being paid. This will be short lived. U. of Miami will be the poster child here for change.

What's wrong with a four year full ride with a grand or two a month for pocket money? And maybe even a lease on a "reasonable" car while on the team, for each kid on the roster. Isn't that enough? The argument that "someone is making money off of me" doesn't cut it. So what? Welcome to the real world. So as a college athlete going in you know the set-up. Live like a king for 4 years and get a college degree. If you don't like it, skip the college experience, move on and get a job. Then the only one who makes money from your efforts will be your employer. That's how the real world works. Life's a b!tch. Sorry, I simply don't possess much empathy for the student athlete argument here.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
    tyrin101, tcdtcd, PDXDawg93 and 5 others like this.
  2. Ross

Ross New Member

Money:
    $43
    I wonder if NIL will evolve at the pro level because of what's happening in college. An NFL or NBA team with limited cap space picks up a free agent or re-signs someone to a below market salary offset with an above average local or regional NIL deal

3. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $495
    In NBA parlance, this is called circumvention and Article XIII of collective bargaining agreement explicitly prohibits it (as well as more creative things like the time Spencer Dinwiddie started a GoFundMe campaign to let fans choose where he would play next). The select schools that emerge out of all of this and form a breakaway entity would probably do the same.

Mr X likes this.
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325

After they're done in DC, they should head up to NYC to beg the NBA to repeal the one-and-done rule when the CBA expires after the 23-24 season.

5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,522
    The NCAA needs to work with the NBA and get some things figured out. Deregulated/Unregulated free agency is part of the reason MLB isn't nearly as popular as it used to be. If anything can be learned from CBA history in professional sports, it is that parity sells.

6. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    The one-and-done rule came from the NBPA, not the NBA. Team owners would love to be able to lock in 18 year olds fresh out of high school.

Also, once again, the NCAA has (almost) no authority here unless Congress gives it an antitrust exemption. The majority of things people are proposing here that the NCAA do would quickly get struck down for being anticompetitive.

Mr X likes this.
  7. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $440

When I saw this headline I couldn't stop thinking of Chapelle's Show black Bush skit when Dave says, "UN, you have a problem with that? You know what you should do? You should sanction me. Sanction me with your army. Oh! wait a minute! You don't have an army! So I guess that means you need to shut the **** up! That's what I would do if I don't have an army, I would shut the **** up".

NCAA and some of these AD's are absolutely naive if they think they are going to be able to enforce pay for play rules at this point in this current structure.

CMG and BulldogsFTW like this.
  8. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $495
    This one slipped under the radar a bit and the comments by OSU AD are a whole heck of a lot more interesting: https://es.pn/3vFujCh

9. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $152
    Maybe in American professional sports. Not in the rest of the world - parity is not a consideration elsewhere.

10. MasterSplinter

Money:
    $495
    One to watch for all those interested in NIL: https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-05-16/nil-college-sports-california-bill-ncaa if you've been following all of this the past couple of years you know the name Romagi Huma. He ain't no joke.

Also, Saban's comments has NIL world on fire but the more telling ones were in his save face interview where he said Bama is setting up a fund to pay every scholarship player £25k, what he calls 'parity'.

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,862
    I would absolutely love it if they paid Alabama football players in pounds.

Hinkle and 2xDawg like this.
  12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,790
    ButlerNut likes this.
  13. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,790
    Also Jair Bolden

2xDawg likes this.
  14. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,475
    That backpack is tempting. I can’t fit into any of the clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut and thevinrod like this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

Auburn's QB selling his own fashion product line on Amazon.

16. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325
    I can't wait to look so fierce in my TJ Finley merch /s

PSUButlerFan likes this.