Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,044
    According to multiple reports on twitter, Hanner Perea and Peter Jurkin have been suspended 9 games by the NCAA for receiving improper benefits. They must also pay back the money they received to charity.

And yes, I realized IU is not in the A10. Maybe I should change this forum to "Around the League", as there are always several Indiana threads.

2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,044
    Combining multiple tweets from Alex Bozich at Inside the Hall:

Edit: Here is his post containing releases from IU and NCAA

ITH: IU Freshman Must Sit

3. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,996
    Is it suspension w/o practicing w/the team? Or, are they still allowed to participate in practice?

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,044
    I'm not sure yet.

A few random thoughts on the subject:

According to the IU report, this investigation was opened June 22, 2012 after IU self reported a violation. Why didn't the NCAA start this investigation when ESPN reported the violation in an article on May 26, 2011?

This really isn't going to have much of an impact on IU. I'm not looking at their schedule, but I'm guessing they play no one outside of the ACC/Big 10 challenge.

I still don't understand how some players are completely ineligible when they receive benefits and some are only suspended a few games. And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting they be ineligible for the season. I just don't understand how they determine number of games.

5. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    If the 9 game suspension is upheld, the first game they are eligible to play is against Butler.

6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Active Member

Money:
    $103
    This is fantastic newsklm,kdfs[;'lpaq[hr]
    Sorry, not sure why it did that.

7. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,531
    I'm sure more details will come out over the next few days. And don't forget, IU has announced an appeal, so maybe it won't be 9 games after all.

Crean should thank his lucky stars that it took the NCAA this long to make its decision. They've been able to crow about the #1 preseason ranking (and scoop up a top 50 recruit) and are in good position to hold on to a Top 5 ranking entering B10 play with a relatively weak non con schedule.

8. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,450
    Why does IU cheat so much?

The karma is going to be great when they bow out early in the tournament.

9. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    http://www.a-hope.org/students.html

--------------

Here's a link to the A-Hope website. Crean, if he has a brain, distances himself from Mark Adams and A-Hope. Alot of the donors to A-Hope are also boosters of Indiana University. Needless to say A-Hope cannot be paying for plane trips for Perea, with a donor list that includes IU boosters.

IIRC Crean already sent Drew Adams packing. NCAA wanted to do whatever it could to bust Mark Adams. The $185 link to him being a booster seems trivial, but they wanted any link as his foundation with money coming in from donors, who are alot of IU people, is against the rules.

I think 9 games is about right, if the NCAA couldn't find anymore than 6-8 K in improper benefits.

Indiana, at least self reported this. I am waiting to see how hard the NCAA hits UCLA and Kentucky. The Shabazz Muhammad rumors of what he received in improper benefits was mind numbing. Calipari and WWW are extremely savvy and slick. NCAA is really going to have to connect the dots there with bank financial records of recruits.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,044
    I'm not sure why IU fans on twitter and such are saying this is a bad ruling. NCAA rulings very clearly state that once you are a booster you are a booster for life. That isn't anything new. It doesn't matter how much or how long ago you donated money or whatever it was that qualified you as a booster. It's pretty black and white.

11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    N.D. Kendrick ?@NDkendrick
    The Hanner and Peter suspension is a joke! Indiana got screwed on this ruling. Hate when good kids get the shaft

--------------------

I like ND, but he fails to mention Mark Adams and Tom Crean. Both of them knew this was against NCAA regulations.

12. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    And the Perrea and Hanner story somehow has something to do with Butler but I am having trouble connecting the dots.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,044
    It has little to do with Butler. But its a team most Butler fans follow for one reason or another, plus they are a team on our schedule. It's why I put it in the "Around the A10" forum and not the Butler basketball thread. Even though they aren't in the A10, it's the same concept.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,044
    Also, here is the link to the report from May 2011

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=6587669

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Brian Snow ?@BSnowScout
    I know the NCAA has their definitions for their reasons, but I know Mark Adams personally and to call him a "booster" is EXTREMELY creative

-------------------

maybe, probably Brian, but the list of donors for AHope is filled with people who also contribute to IU athletics...and there's the rub and WHY the NCAA penalized IU and these players.

16. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,681
    Curious, where can you find info about who donates to AHOPE and which of their donors are boosters? Where did you find that info?

17. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    No I do not believe that info is public. I looked after the Fish story came out. Rumors were rampant at that time that numerous A-Hope donors were also boosters of Indiana athletics, which makes sense given the A-Hope foundation is located in Bloomington and Mark Adams has long had ties with the IU basketball program. My hunch is the NCAA asked Adams for his donor list and Adams complied. NCAA undoubtably cross checked the people on it and came to the same conclusions numerous other people that have followed this story came too. Adams basically got donations from boosters of Iu for his foundation, which in turn he used to give gifts/plane trips and other improper benefits to Perea/Jurkin and Jobe. The $185 amount was probably accurate and all they could tie to Adams as a booster to IU, but they gave these kids 9 games because they did get numerous perks from A-Hope and that money had to come from somewhere. Most likely a large amount of it was donated by IU boosters who gave to A-Hope. That's a violation since those players signed with Indiana. Not sure if that would be a violation if an IU booster gave money to A-Hope and say Perea went to Purdue.

I do think A-Hope is a good foundation, but you simply can't give improper benefits to recruits if you are tied to the school they are planning to attend.

18. Dog77

Dog77 New Member

Money:
    $5
    It's interesting that the article in the Indy Star today (and all of the comments from the readers) focused on the fact that Mark Adams' wife made a donation 10+ years ago to IU athletics and THAT was the NCAA's reason/claim for citing a violation. The article didn't say anything about the other IU Boosters that contributed to A-Hope as the issue and the cause of the NCAA violation.

Not very complete reporting by the writer at the Indy Star.

19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,531
    The NCAA is also now saying there was ongoing involvement by Mark Adams in the IU program beyond the $185 donations. My guess is that when they respond to the appeal, they will release a great deal more information. They can't be happy about this negative PR (much based on not having all the facts) and will launch a counter attack to sway public opinion.

20. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    This is setting up to be like Lance Armstrong's case. Everything thinks the NCAA is wrong here, IU will play victim and the NCAA will drop more evidence that makes the program looks worse than it would have if it just accepted the penalty and moved on. 9 games IS harsh for a donation made before the players were event born, which leads me to believe there is much more to this situation.

Either way - coaches, analysts, and "experts" have been calling for the NCAA to make an example out of someone when it comes to recruiting and improper benefits. Regardless of the severity of this incident, the NCAA finally did that and now everyone is up in arms about it.