Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,335
  2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,550
  3. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $545
    Duke upset by Syracuse. White for Duke, 10 Fg attempts, all 3’s, missed all 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,809
    Duke was 9-43 from three. Thus Battle was awesome. Hope his younger brother is that good.

Staxawax likes this.
  5. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $545
    Battle wasn’t that efficient. Took 28 shots to get his 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    It's hard to overstate just how bad the Pac 12 is this year. It's rating is the second lowest Power 6 conference rating since Kenpom began (2002). The only one worse? 2004 Pac 12 - but just barely.

Some examples of just how bad it is:
    • Washington is 5-0 in the Pac 12 and it's best win is against Colorado, which ranks 90 in Kenpom.
    • The Big East is the worst it's been since re-alignment, and it's lowest rated team - DePaul - is better rated than one third of the Pac 12 schools.
    • No Pac 12 team is currently ranked ahead of Ohio State on Kenpom, which is currently the 9th rated team in the Big Ten.
    • Washington State isn't even the worst team in the Pac 12 (Cal is - by a mile) - but it would be the worst team in any of the other power conferences by around 50 spots.
    • Cal is worse than any team in the MVC, MAC and Ivy League except Cornell.
    • Half of the Pac 12 is worse than any team in the Big 12.

7. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    Exactly how did they get this bad? Have they de-empahsized basketball or something?

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,212
    They go as UCLA and Oregon go in the non conference, the conference as a whole gets almost zero viewer audience because most of their games on ESPN networks START after 11PM EST/10 CT which makes up a large chunk of the US. Coupled that with the fact the most of them are not traditional basketball powerhouses, a whole lot of bad coaching or coaching turnover=less highly rated recruits and the ones that go are typically 1 and done=less competitive overall which again makes it hard to land the solid upper 3 and 4 star gets you need to build a foundation for lasting success. I think it's going to get worse before it gets better because now Gonzaga and provided Musselman stays at Nevada are collecting the few top recruits out there and added in the FBI probe into Arizona where as a kid do you want to go if you aren't getting paid to play by Oregon or Arizona or UCLA or USC??

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,143
    It's a bit baffling because they definitely are getting players. In 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, the Pac-12 had five of the top 25 recruiting classes three times, and in the year they didn't, they had 4 of the top 21.

There are several programs that should be good but just aren't this year. Arizona, UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona State are all performing way below the level of their recruiting. USC has also pulled top 15-40 classes each of the last four years, and they're not any good. All of these programs should be putting out top 40 teams this year, at worst, given their recruiting, and none of them are.

Why? No idea. While this year is particularly bad, the Pac 12 is pretty much always a big disappointment. They're never as good as they should be. I guess one could theorize that because the fans care (way) less, it trickles down to the players and they just don't develop (or try?) like players in most other conferences. But I'm just spit-balling. I really don't know.

10. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,199
    Just watched IU stink out against Michigan - they are making our bad season look not so bad.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  11. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,242
    Does the Horizon League have any openings? I don't mean for IU!

12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,809
    Several years ago Shaka Smart was often mentioned as one of the top young coaches in the country and comparable to Brad Stevens. His record this year at Texas is 11-9 and overall in his first 3.5 years is 61-59 with better talent than Butler.

13. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,514
  15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,300
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,072
    Yo. They coulda shoulda knocked off uva the other night then drop 24 in a whole game?

17. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,215
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,550

Collapse in Champaign. Wow.

19. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,215
    MSU has now lost 3 in a row. @ Purdue, home vs. IU, and @ Illinois.

20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,242
    IU is crawling back in the picture with a favorable home schedule, I guess Fred Glass's job is safe for now.