Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Terrible news! So young. Condolences to his family, friends, teammates and Dayton Flyers.

2. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    I was bored and watching "highlight" videos on youtube earlier when I came across the following of Duke commit Jayson Tatum.

I'm generally not impressed when it comes to recruiting videos, but this kid is the real deal. Love the finesse and maturity of his game. As much as I dislike Duke, they could be a big headache next year, especially if Giles is healthy.

P.S. this was against Huntington Prep and Miles Bridges, an MSU commit and top ~10 player. He was guarding Tatum on a fair few of his buckets.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,881
    He works for Mike Peagram's IU Rivals site, so yeah, basically.

4. pairadocs

pairadocs New Member

Money:
    $18
    I don't see how UNCs scandal should have any impact on how he views his fit there academically. It's still an elite school. Nobody is forcing him to go there and take sham classes.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Makes sense.

6. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Well typically if that many athletes are in sham classes it shows where the coaches and athletic department have their priorities. Why would you want to go to a program where they will steer you away from what you want to do. Plus anyone looking at your resume will cock their eyebrow at your degree. They will have to decide if you have a UNC degree of a "UNC" degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    None of which should hurt UNC in a men's basketball recruit. It's now been a decade since Roy Williams told the basketball academic advisors that he was uncomfortable with so many players taking classes in the AFAM department and asked that they be discouraged from taking classes there - and that was before he or more than a handful of people knew the classes weren't meeting as they were supposed to.

In the interim UNC has had multiple Academic All-Americans (none majoring in AFAM before you try to throw the paper classes back at me) including Tyler Zeller, a business major who was Academic All-American of the Year, and Marcus Paige on this year's team, who majored in journalism, which is one of the university's premiere programs. You can't tell me that anyone who knows anything about business or journalism education questions the degrees of either of those young men.

Despite the scandal, academics is still an easy sell for UNC basketball coaches to a serious student. The hard sell is the question about any potential NCAA sanctions, and that sell just got a lot easier with the new Notice of Allegations.

8. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,537
    NCJon, our buddy! No one in the Butler community does a better job spinning one of the biggest scandals in NCAA history!

Damn. Why didn't JoePa's people think of this excuse. He clearly did everything in his power by taking everything public. Wait, he didn't.

Stop the presses. UNC is clearly not guilty because they've had two Academic All-Americans in a decade.

Once again, forget everything I've said. Marcus Paige majored in journalism, a truly valuable field of study in today's world.

9. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,907
    I actually agree with NCJon's main point that UNC is a good university if someone is serious about getting an education. In my opinion: Yes, UNC had some shady things going on. Yes, Roy Williams should have done more. But UNC is a good school academically. And furthermore, to say that journalism isn't a valuable field is misguided. Journalism IS a valuable field in our society. It is just a tough field to get a job in today. But that doesn't diminish its credibility as a legitimate field of study.

1 person likes this.
  10. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Your BS gets old, Milksteak. You're still pissed cause I ribbed you too much about your ridiculous prediction that UNC would get beat by Providence in the NCAA tourney.

I'm no apologist like you'll find in College Station. I've stated publicly over, and over, and over, and over again - here and elsewhere - about how angry I am over the scandal, that I'd be perfectly happy for the university to kill big time sports and that it deserves punishment and scorn for what happened. It's one of a couple reasons I pay more attention to Butler now than I do my alma mater.

But I'm also way more informed on the details than you are - or than you're willing to be - and believe in putting blame where it belongs. Do you need me to go over for you for the 100th or so time why the men's basketball team was the least culpable of the three primary sports involved? Or why that death penalty you're hoping for ain't coming? Nor is a post-season ban? You wouldn't listen anyway.

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,642
    Ok, so first off, it's STATE COLLEGE. College Station is Texas A&M, which is thousands of miles away. Second, both of you, please shut the fu ck up about my football program since neither of you has a clue since you only read garbage headlines which are attached to garbage, uninformed articles. As someone who knows every single person involved, I promise that none of you has a clue.

Notice how I haven't said a word about UNC? Bc I know better than to form an uneducated opinion based on innaccurate media reports designed to drive clicks and ad dollars. Taking a wait and see approach with Baylor too. I'd figure someone who is defending UNC here would be smart enough to understand that they are likely misinformed given that so many others who aren't intimately connected to UNC's issues are misinformed as well. Put that world-class UNC education to work and get a brain. Thanks.

12. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    You're right PSUButlerFan. I shouldn't have taken the bait on Penn State, and I apologize for including that line, with my late night screw up on the town to boot.

Doesn't change my overall point that I'm not a UNC apologist, and never have been just because I occasionally try to dispel some of the false ideas floating around about what happened there.

13. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,973
    Yes, you just keep on defending one of the worst abuse cases we have seen in some time.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article77157562.html

Nyang’oro, Crowder’s boss as department chairman, told investigators he later found out about the classes but didn’t stop them. He continued them for two years after Crowder retired. Nearly 190 of the classes were listed as lecture-style but never met, Wainstein reported.

LOL

Nearly all of the documents listed have surfaced in Wainstein’s report, such as a PowerPoint presentation Beth Bridger, a former academic counselor for the football team, put together for the coaches. In it, she raises alarm that Crowder’s retirement means the loss of classes that don’t meet, have no interaction with a professor and don’t require athletes to “necessarily engage with the material.”

ROTFLOL

15. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Wrong. I've never defended what happened at UNC. It makes my blood pressure rise just thinking about it.

What I have done is point out that Roy Williams, whom I have never been particularly fond of, did what you would expect the head coach to do when he became concerned about his players clustering in the AFAM classes - he raised that concern with the appropriate people in his chain of command and had his players steered away from the department. Roy Williams doing the right thing is the major reason that men's hoops is going to come out of this thing without much, if any, punishment. I've also called for the university to voluntarily abdicate the 2005 title because so many players on that team were in these classes during the spring semester. I've said repeatedly that I'd be happy if UNC decided to de-emphasize sports, e.g. the University of Chicago in 1939.

How Roy has handled himself and the program through all this mess has impressed me, though, and made me respect him more than I used to.

16. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Do you have a point Bumba? None of that refutes anything I've said.

17. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    My brother plays football at UChicago. I've never seen a student body/alumni population more disinterested in sports. Case in point, at their homecoming festivities this past fall I must have overheard "is there a game today or something?" 20 times.

18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    That's basically the point...

19. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    Gee, thanks for that. Just an anecdote.

20. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member