Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,231
    Campbell Donovan

2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    Thanks, I had missed that. Good for him. Has there been any scuttlebutt as to where he might be looking to play - I suspect he could be a factor in quite a few programs.

NCJon likes this.
  3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,813
    Sounds like another round of conference realignment is about to kickoff with Texas and Oklahoma maybe/likely headed to the SEC.

I really hope the Big East stands pat, but once this starts again, who knows where it ends up.

ConnersvilleBulldog and Hinkle like this.
  4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,985
    Except for the extremely rare circumstance of a UCONN type school becoming available, I really hope they stay with what they have too. If D-1 starts to consolidate, we may have to look a little lower like Dayton, Loyola, etc. to keep up with the Football 5. It would be in their interest to keep the Big East as an example of letting in non-football schools into the breakaway group. My guess is that D-1 ends up being the SEC, BIG, ACC, Pac-##, Big East, American, and probably the MWC in some form merged with the best of the WCC/Big 12 and the rest in the western half. MAYBE the MAC/MVC of sorts (a lot of large public schools). All others just can't keep up.

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,165
    If Notre Dame insists on remaining an independent football power the Big East would be the logical choice for all other sports.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,985
    I think their most logical choices are the BIG and ACC (even over independence). I've been wrong before.

7. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    I would agree with you. The issue ND would have with the Big East is that Butler is in it. The local optics wouldn't sit well with their view of the world.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,813
    Notre Dame's arrangement with the ACC is pretty ideal for them remaining "independent" in football because they're guaranteed 5 football games against league members each year. That gets them about halfway where they need to be schedule-wise to be able to make the playoff. As the leagues consolidate - and likely increase the number of conference games each year - it's going to get harder and harder for ND to get the quality games they'd need if they were truly independent. Between the ACC games, the USC, Navy and Purdue rivalry games, they only need to find four more games each year to round out the schedule. Hard to see that relationship changing unless the ACC implodes.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,667
    I agree. The Big Ten could perhaps offer a similar situation, but I see no reason why theyd leave the ACC right now, and certainly no benefit to them joint the BE.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops