Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,599
    Campbell Donovan

2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,652
    Thanks, I had missed that. Good for him. Has there been any scuttlebutt as to where he might be looking to play - I suspect he could be a factor in quite a few programs.

NCJon likes this.
  3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    Sounds like another round of conference realignment is about to kickoff with Texas and Oklahoma maybe/likely headed to the SEC.

I really hope the Big East stands pat, but once this starts again, who knows where it ends up.

ConnersvilleBulldog and Hinkle like this.
  4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Except for the extremely rare circumstance of a UCONN type school becoming available, I really hope they stay with what they have too. If D-1 starts to consolidate, we may have to look a little lower like Dayton, Loyola, etc. to keep up with the Football 5. It would be in their interest to keep the Big East as an example of letting in non-football schools into the breakaway group. My guess is that D-1 ends up being the SEC, BIG, ACC, Pac-##, Big East, American, and probably the MWC in some form merged with the best of the WCC/Big 12 and the rest in the western half. MAYBE the MAC/MVC of sorts (a lot of large public schools). All others just can't keep up.

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,079
    If Notre Dame insists on remaining an independent football power the Big East would be the logical choice for all other sports.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  6. butlerguy03

Money:
    $3,486
    I think their most logical choices are the BIG and ACC (even over independence). I've been wrong before.

7. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,652
    I would agree with you. The issue ND would have with the Big East is that Butler is in it. The local optics wouldn't sit well with their view of the world.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Notre Dame's arrangement with the ACC is pretty ideal for them remaining "independent" in football because they're guaranteed 5 football games against league members each year. That gets them about halfway where they need to be schedule-wise to be able to make the playoff. As the leagues consolidate - and likely increase the number of conference games each year - it's going to get harder and harder for ND to get the quality games they'd need if they were truly independent. Between the ACC games, the USC, Navy and Purdue rivalry games, they only need to find four more games each year to round out the schedule. Hard to see that relationship changing unless the ACC implodes.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    I agree. The Big Ten could perhaps offer a similar situation, but I see no reason why theyd leave the ACC right now, and certainly no benefit to them joint the BE.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $791
    Louisville has suspended coach Chris Mack for six games without pay this season. Can Louisville ever find a squeaky clean coach. The answer apparently not!!!

MSUDawg likes this.
  11. MSUDawg

Money:
    $2,652
    Is Campbell still in the transfer portal? Anyone hear of him going somewhere to play one more year?

12. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,775
    How about Dino Gaudio though? In Federal Court about extortion.

13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,566
    This is *easily* the funniest “source” I’ve ever come across haha. I ran into Campbell in the grocery store check-out line last week. He said he’s looking for a job (we majored in the same field) so I don’t think he’s playing anywhere next season and is starting post-college life.

14. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    So the Big 12 is adding Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida.

Gotta imagine the American goes looking to raid the best of C-USA and the Sun Belt.

15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,839
    Interesting. All four of those schools have been at least decent recently in both football & men’s BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. butlerguy03

Money:
    $3,486
    A big, flat “eh.” Doesn’t make any waves at all and just cements the Big 12 as tier 2 (or 3) in football.

17. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
  18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    This is why you never, ever ever ever, agree to a breathalyzer if you've even had just one drink. Refuse that, blood and piss (they can detect etg in the wee wee, seldom used though), go sit in jail for a few hours and then call your lawyer and let he/she sort it out with the DA's office. If you give them no hard evidence, they can suspect but can't "prove" and you end up pleading to a reckless, paying a fine and with the right lawyer, you never lose your license nor does it appear on your criminal or driving record.

Roll the dice with the cops then let the suits make a deal.

19. NCJon

Money:
    $9,585
    Refusing to provide a breath or blood sample leads to automatic license revocation in many states, regardless of the criminal charges, and in many instances the state can prove impairment based on the officer's observations, especially if the officer properly conducted the roadside sobriety tests.

In other words: Don't take legal advice from strangers on the Internet.

The situation with Few is interesting. For an underperforming coach, this kind of charge would be the justification for firing him. Obviously, Gonzaga isn't firing Few over this, but they'll have to do something.

ButlerFan89 and 2xDawg like this.
  20. butlerguy03

Money:
    $3,486
    In many states, this would be akin to assumption of guilt. Essentially losing driving privileges and more.

2xDawg likes this.