Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,799
    Yes to a point. But if you have a good attorney anything is possible when it comes to this. They have nothing but video to assume or say that you are under the influence. Granted, it's much cheaper to order an Uber/Lyft vs paying an attorney but someone of means like Few (and many of you, not to that scale but can afford good counsel) you don't just hand yourself over. Allow your mouthpiece to handle it.

In GA, they just passed a law...I think 3 (?) years ago where if you get pulled over and refuse a breath test, they can try and wake up a judge for a warrant to take your blood, which could take a few hours especially middle of the night. Some counties around GA who have nothing better to do than bust rich people for DUIs have a designated judge available in off hours each day so they can get the blood test immediately. Still you make that play. Even at .11...you're an hour from being .05 or .06 in most cases, and, even with a judge on call, can take an hour or more and in that time you can contact your legal representation.

I may not be saying that exactly right, but that's the message my lawyer has passed to me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  2. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,729
    Lol.

Around these parts, which isn't rich by any means, every county has a judge (and a prosecutor for law enforcement) on call. For many reasons, not just to sign blood draw warrants to ruin people's fun...and it doesn't take hours... a .11 in almost any case would be more than an hour from .08. So if you're actually waking up a judge with this advice, I hope your mouthpiece has a great answer ready for the judge the next day when they ask why you woke them up and you're in custody in front of them.

Mark Few made a mistake. He owned it and admitted he made a mistake. Good people make mistakes every day. While his behavior/actions are not okay (and punishment may still be coming after the investigations), I still believe he is a good guy and it's refreshing to see someone own up for their mistake so quickly.

But carry on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

seadawg, NCJon, SnoopDawg and 2 others like this.
  3. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,485
    I once had a cop say: if you were ever driving under influence and get in a smallish wreck, get out of car and bust out a pint as the cop rolls up and chug, stating you have anxiety and were scared and worried. Never be able to prove driving under influence (likely open container and reckless).
    Not saying I would take this advice, but it’s an interesting theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,969
    It definitely makes it difficult, but not impossible for the state to prove the impairment was while driving vs after the wreck. The concentration of the alcohol consumed as well as where the BAC number lands matter in a scenario like that. The state can have an expert witness come in and testify to retrograde extrapolation to give a reasonable degree of certainty to what the person's blood alcohol was based on the known data point - their measured BAC - and other existing factors.

Interestingly, at least to me, is that the problem the chugged alcohol can create is that in the roughly hour between when a person gets pulled over and receives the admissible breath test at the jail/station house their BAC could still be rising.

Anyway, I would not advise a client to try it, nor would I advise most clients to follow Willis' advice either. There are some for whom the lost license is the better play.

seadawg likes this.
  5. NCJon

Money:
    $8,969
    Most counties - even the rural ones - here have a magistrate capable of signing a search warrant on duty 24/7.

6. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,012
    Holy **** just don't drive drunk it's not hard.

bumba, #60, DawgsMD and 3 others like this.
  7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,319
    Yeah - not hard. That was dumb crap done in your twenties. Uber and Lyft are hard to get right now, but let’s be honest - there are options.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bmradio99 likes this.
  8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,799
    Uber and lyft are Godsends. There are tons around here and although prices have gone up some because of gas prices...it's still worth every nickel. Even just having a date night a few minutes away in some cases, still use it. 15 bucks is easier than a few grand plus the never ending fines. Even if you have to wait awhile.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  9. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $354
    Maybe there's not a lot of availability in Idaho? I mean... it is Idaho, after all.

10. bmradio99

Money:
    $5,012
    Mark Few's a millionaire. Money doesn't fix a lot of problems, but it certainly fixes "I need a ride" no matter where you are.
    That area is tourist heavy. There are multiple limo services.

willisbrown likes this.
  11. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,105
    bmradio99 likes this.
  12. bmradio99

Money:
    $5,012
    Memphis has to recreate the Calipari era and just dominate what is essentially C-USA. Not easy, but not impossible.
    WSU got what they deserve.

butlerguy03 likes this.
  13. NCJon

Money:
    $8,969
    I think Georgia State gets an invite before Western KY. UAB is also a likely candidate.

East Carolina is going to throw a fit about either Coastal or App St coming in. Might not be able to stop it, but it'll be interesting to watch.

butlerguy03 likes this.
  14. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $386
    It’s all gradually becoming meaningless, or irrelevant to me. “It” being conference realignments. I’m unimpressed, uninspired. It’s becoming boring & predictable. It’s about $$$. I’m not looking for a lecture on the economics of NCAA Division I sports. Please spare me. I’m unapologetically supportive of traditional aka mostly geographical competition. I prefer the original Big 10 for example. Here’s a peek:

https://bigten.org/sports/2018/6/6/trads-big10-trads-html.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 Member

Money:
    $87
    Not smart giving legal advice on a basketball blog. What are you smoking? No one with a brain is going to listen to such awful advice. Every state is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops