Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    bumba likes this.
  2. fchd

fchd Member

Money:
    $144
  3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    There is unbelievable agreement between the AP and Coaches polls. The top 9 teams are identical in both. Kentucky and Illinois are 10 and 11 in both, but reversed. In fact, after being in lockstep for the first 9 picks, in slots 10-25, the teams are within one place of each other in both polls. That seems incredible, especially in a preseason poll before anyone has taken a shot. It perhaps suggests how incestuous the relationships are between the coaches and the media and how little original thinking is done by either.

4. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $761
    For those that had no idea (like me) Theo John is now at Duke.
    Good for him. He was a beast and I’m relieved we don’t have to face him at Marquette anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  5. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Until we see him in the Final Four... (too soon?)

ButlerNut likes this.
  6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,707
    Based off of last night, we’d all be happy to say first weekend of the tournament, but I see what you did there.

ButlerNut likes this.
  7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,038
    Interesting...

BoyGeoff and DawgsMD like this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,038
    UNC-Charleston is pretty fun right now. Cbssports network...unfortunately Lappas on the call. But great game.

9. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,571
    The A10 has been a multi bid league and MVC hasn't. Pretty easy decision really.

ButlerProf likes this.
  10. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,571
    IU is getting more home cooking than an only grandkid at Thanksgiving.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,038
    Oh definitely and much more tv exposure. I said interesting because I didn't know the A-10 was pursuing them but it's a huge move for their program. Much like moving from Horizon to MVC...A-10 another level up. Pretty good run here lately for Loyola.

troggy and #60 like this.
  12. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    The MVC is now at or below the level of the 2000’s Horizon.

13. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,336

Injuries even extending to transfers out.
    In all seriousness, this sucks.

Tentozen and #60 like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,038
    Butler's team docs have looooooooong voodoo reach.

Sucks for him. I was a huge fan and remain a huge fan. Was happy seeing him kick some ass at Temple.

NCJon, 2xDawg, #60 and 1 other person like this.
  15. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    Seeing him Post those numbers vs what I saw when he was at Butler prompts a couple of questons: 1. Did he develop his capabilities, beyond what he would have developed here, or 2. 2. Did they do a better job of scheming around what he can do and keep him away from what he couldn't do (get to where he wanted to with the dribble)?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  16. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,840
    At least we haven’t had a performance(at least not yet) as bad as Arizona St. last night. They lost their PAC 12 opener at home to Washington St. 51-29 after trailing 18-10 at halftime. ASU shot 21% from the floor, 11% from 3, & 25% from the FT line. They had more turnovers than made FGs.

17. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    Just you wait until December 18th…

bmradio99 likes this.
  18. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,336
    I was kinda thinking this too. It's probably both. And he's probably developed his capabilities because they're scheming differently. Also the A-10 American isn't the Big East. Really solid conference, but he's probably one of the lengthier guards. Real bummed it didn't work out here, but sounds like it was multi-layered.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    knobcreekfan likes this.
  19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,881
    All still true, but Temple is in the American now.

UDDawg likes this.
  20. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,984
    For anyone with an Athletic subscription, I highly recommend CJ Moore's in-depth breakdown of Purdue's offense. There are too many embedded videos for me to fully share, but I'll list some quotes below that I found interesting.

https://theathletic.com/2994580/202...-zach-edey-to-trevion-williams-to-jaden-ivey/

In an era where we’re told the post-up is inefficient offense and everyone runs ball screens, no one plays through the post more than Purdue and a ball screen in the half-court is a rarity.

“I think the ball screen is great,” Painter told The Athletic. “I think it’s overused. I think it’s productive if you have the right personnel, but the other thing that I don’t like about it has nothing to do with it. It’s just I want to be different. I don’t want someone to walk into play Purdue, and be like ‘okay, they do a lot of the same stuff that we saw on Wednesday. It’s a lot of the same stuff we saw two weeks ago against this team.’

“I want them to get to our prep and be like ‘whoa, this is so much different than playing anybody else.’”

You can hear a hint of jealousy when Hummel talks about Painter’s playbook now. In his era, he says Painter ran eight plays and lots of motion. “He’s come a long way in terms of his playbook,” Hummel says. “He has changed to whatever his personnel is, and he’s listened to other people.”

Hummel says he noticed a change when current Penn State coach Micah Shrewsberry first joined the staff, leaving Butler and Brad Stevens to join the Boilermakers in 2011. After two years with Purdue, Shrewsberry left to join Stevens with the Boston Celtics, where he was the defensive coordinator for six seasons before coming back to Purdue. This is all relevant, because some of the best stuff Purdue runs comes from Painter asking Shrewsberry what the hardest actions to guard were at the next level.

“It was like a prosecuting attorney becoming a defense attorney,” Painter says. “Even though that person has never been a defense attorney, he sure knows the other side because he’s worked the other side for a long time.”

If Purdue wins on Friday, the Boilermakers will be ranked No. 1 on Monday for the first time in program history. The skeptic may argue that Purdue is such an old team that it’s already reached its ceiling, unlike younger teams like Duke and Gonzaga. Plus Purdue cannot keep scoring at this rate, right? Big Ten coaches are going to come up with some answers, right?

I say go watch the tape from Tuesday night. The Seminoles defend in a way that it’s really difficult to run your sets as designed, because of their aggressiveness and length. Painter provided some play calls designed to use the Seminoles aggressiveness against them — see the alley-oop to Edey up top — but mostly it was on the Boilermakers to navigate FSU’s defense on their own.

Painter hammered home one message he’s been writing on the whiteboard before games lately: “nothing cute.”

“Take pride in having discipline and being fundamentally sound,” he says. “You’re going to have more fun that way. It doesn’t mean you’re hokey.”