Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,267
    A picture is worth 1000 words. That picture about summarized LaSalle hoops.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,284
    They have the single least impressive division one facilities I’ve ever seen in person. Most high schools that I have been to are fairly substantially better.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,643
    When I first moved south after having grown up in Indiana, I lived in Wilmington, N.C. and went to a game at UNCW, which at the time was one of the better teams in the CAA and coached by Jerry Wainright. I was thoroughly confused walking into a college gym it being about the size and character of a non-descript Indiana high school gym. That was my first experience with basketball outside the Midwest.

4. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,150
    I drove up to Valpo to watch the dogs play during the ‘09-‘10 season. Their gym reminded me of a HS gym.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,284
    The thing that was so bad about the la salle gym is that the floor was incredibly slippery. It felt like a middle school gym surface.

6. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,004
    Ah ha. And how is it that you know about the slippery floor

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,284
    Because I could feel it under my shoes?

2xDawg likes this.
  8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,276

Wonder who we'll replace w/ the Crossroads Classic opponent? For LaVall's sake, he needs another directional school next season

dippper61 likes this.
  9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,643
    I'd love to get a game with Notre Dame, ideally a home-and-home but at least a neutral site game, after so many years of being on the opposite side of the Crossroads from them.

I've never thought scheduling was an issue in the LaVall era. I think he's been striking the right balance in the nonconference season. The problems are elsewhere.

Irishdawg likes this.
  10. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,894
    I mean a lot of the scheduling is made up for him, so short of pulling a Patrick Ewing, it would be hard to screw that up. Other than the Thanksgiving tournaments, I think the only scheduling "win" was a home and home with Florida thus far in his tenure.

11. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,818
    ND would be great but after BU owned them for a period of time they wouldn’t schedule us. Hopefully that will change.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
  13. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
  14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,101
    UIC headed to the MVC...not a bad move for them and maybe it can awaken their program. I remember when I was in school (the first couple years) they (and Detroit) were pretty damn good and a thorn in our side.

BURph92 and ButlerProf like this.
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,842
    Yes, it’s hard to believe now but back in 1998 the Horizon League sent 3 teams to the NCAA tournament. Butler beat UW-Green Bay in conference tournament championship game to earn the automatic bid. Both Detroit & Illinois-Chicago received at-large bids despite not making it to the championship game in the conference tourney.

NCJon and ButlerProf like this.
  16. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $797
    With Loyola leaving The Valley the wanted a presence in Chicago!!!

17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,646
    That IUPUI team that we opened the season with on a 9-point win (56-47)? They're ranked 358 in Kenpom and are now 2-21 and 0-12 in the Horizon League. Their only two wins have come against a D-III school and an NAIA school. That said, there are some extenuating circumstances. For example:
    • They have played their last 6 games with only 6 players available, and several of those have nagging injuries that normally would cause them to sit out a few games. One is scheduled for surgery after the season.
    • 5 players have had season-ending injuries. That includes Zach Gunn, who transferred from Ball State and was anticipated to be their leading scorer. He was injured before the first game. (11 players played for IUPUI against Butler.)
    • Only 2 players have played all 23 games.
    • They use red-shirt players, managers, and coaches to run plays in practice so they have enough players.
    I guess all of that goes to show: no matter how disappointing Butler's season has been so far, there's always someone who has it worse.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-crenshaw-bj-maxwell-division-one/6769870001/

tlp63 likes this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,843
    CBSSN picked some ****ty games tonight. Butler's stinker and now 22-4 Ohio scored their first field goal 11 minutes into the game. Now losing 23-6

Oof

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,417
    dawgs2014 likes this.
  20. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,646
    Crazy day in college basketball yesterday: the top 6 teams (plus no. 9) all lose. The first time ever that 7 top 10 teams lose in a day. Zags lose at St. Mary's by 10. What a day in college hoops!

BU Fan in Illinois and 2xDawg like this.