Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,272
    Kansas in the Big East.....wow!!!!!!

2. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $941
    Big East Schools: “man, I hope the top end of the conference doesn’t suffer now that Jay Wright suddenly retired.”

<Bill Self has entered the chat>

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,325
    2019 Kansas in the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma:
    [​IMG]

2024 Kansas in the Big East
    [​IMG]

BU Fan in Illinois and bmradio99 like this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348

Wow, the crazy won't stop.

mwall787 and NCJon like this.
  5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    I blame Mick Cronin. Just couldn't leave midwest basketball behind.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  6. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    Yeah, I don't mean to sound dismissive for teams like Dayton or Wichita State, but none of them would command the type of draw that Gonzaga could bring to help keep the conference nationally relevant. It may be a slim chance that it happens, but I am concerned that after all the dust has settled the landscape will basically reveal only 2 or 3 super power conferences. That's not a good thing for anyone, but especially not the Big East who doesn't have football to help with revenue.

Personally I would be fine with the opportunity to see Syracuse back in the Big East. I wouldn't say that I like them that much, but to see them back home with their name recognition and having classic Big East matchups again would be good for the conference. Basically my feeling is this - If Gonzaga were to join us, then the Big East would have that national Blue Blood program to compliment and help give the conference something that's coveted, similar to having MSG as the exclusive for their tournaments. If they can't get a team of similar caliber, then they should just stick with being very selective on who they invite.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  7. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,448
    godogs91 likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,937
    All of which is true...

9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,682
    Waiting for leftover P5 schools makes sense revenue-wise, finding one who is willing to go independent in football is difficult. Although the more "independent" programs that appear the greater the chance they become more attractive to secondary revenue contractors like Fs1 Fs2, so there may be some angle in that direction. It seems like the magic number for conference size is 16 schools. If so, then that means the BE needs to find 5 sensible adds.
    Gonzaga and Kansas and Syracuse have been repeatedly mention and those seem logical - not much in the P12 looks logical, maybe Stanford. And then who ? Baylor? Memphis?

10. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $562
    I was a little surprised the Indy Star would run an opinion piece attacking a local commentator. Seems odd, even if it is valid.

11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    I'm a little embarrassed that "Dan Dakich" is now in my search history, but I no longer subscribe to The Star and thought maybe I had missed some new, egregiously stupid thing he had said or done.

Anyway, I discovered that The Star or Gannett licensed the Doyel column to Yahoo! and it can be read without a subscription here:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dan-dakich-disintegrating-one-tweet-122538263.html

12. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,145
    Wow.

Tentozen likes this.