Non-Big East Conversation

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,773
    A lot of good basketball today:

12pm: James Madison vs #1 UNC
    3pm: #19 Illinois vs #16 Virginia in a championship
    3:30pm: Providence vs St Louis
    4:30pm: #24 TA&M vs Loyola Chicago
    5:30pm: #8 UCLA vs #5 Baylor in a consolation game
    7:30pm #4 Gonzaga vs #2 Kentucky

I actually think this JMU-UNC game could be really good. The line is only UNC -11 and it’s a home game for UNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,134

Anybody else following the New Mexico/New Mexico State game that was supposed to happen this week?

Some New Mexico students were setting up to jump one of the New Mexico State players, guns were involved and a New Mexico student is dead and the New Mexico State player was shot in the leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  3. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,254
    The good news for Louisville: they broke their nightmare streak of starting the season with three straight one-point losses. The bad news: they did it by losing tonight by 26. It looks like the NCAA didn't have to impose a post-season ban on Louisville; they're doing it themselves.

troggy likes this.
  4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,033
    It could get even worse for Louisville as they have 2 more games in Maui starting with Texas Tech tomorrow followed by Maryland, Miami(FL), Florida St., & Western Kentucky.

5. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,773
    IMG_5915.JPG

Serious question… what is even the point of calling this a “Hoosier tip off classic” during feast week? All of these teams are garbage and have 0 chance of winning. Is this just a way to make IU feel important by having their own “classic”?

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Seems like a loophole to allow them to play more games. I think you can play a max of 28 games plus a non conf tournament. This is their “tournament”.

7. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,334
    How funny would it be if Little Rock or Jackson St. upset IU?

8. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,385
    NCJon likes this.
  9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,235
    Original Hoosier Classic started in ‘48 and was played by the big 4 at Hinkle. IU peeled off after a time thinking they were too big for it. Replaced by Illinois IIRC initially and limped along for a few more years then discontinued. IU brought it back ‘81 with 4 teams until BU defeated IU in ‘81 on the infamous Joel Cornette dunk at the buzzer. IU had never lost until then—year 20. They discontinued it. We all know what happened with the Crossroads Classic. Anyone see a pattern here?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen, seadawg, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  10. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,256
    I wonder who'll beat them in 2042 to bring an end to the "Hoosier Tip-Off Classic"?

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,224
    I was always told BU beat IU in the original Classic, thus IU moved on?

12. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
    Louisville scored 13 points in the first half against Texas Tech and with five minutes gone in the second they have scored none. They trail 44 to 13.

13. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,773
    Guys, Louisville is so bad. It’s past the point of being funny. And now it’s just really really sad for the coaches and players. They have 5 top-100 players on that roster and they are down 45-13 in the 2H to Texas Tech.

Kenpom has them favored in only 6 more games the rest of the year. And only 2 of them are they favored more than 60%

14. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
    Louisville's new coach may not make it past Christmas. What has made them so terrible?

15. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,256
    Ouch! 70-38 Final. Ellis and Withers led the way with 7 points each.

16. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,254
    How did Louisville get to be so bad? I imagine the various scandals and NCAA investigations have hurt recruiting, but they've had top 30 rated recruiting classes the last three years. The NCAA put them on two years probation in the latest scandal, but that was much less severe than many had expected. They've gone through several coaches, but that seems to be more effect than cause. Does anyone have any insight?

https://www2.ljworld.com/sports/ku-...stigation of corruption in college basketball.

17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,811
    In the last seven seasons, including this nascent one, the Cardinals have had five different head coaches. They've had a major NCAA scandal and a the Dino Gaudio mess.

Eleven players off last year's team either graduated, transferred or left basketball after Mack was fired.

Kenny Payne is a good bet to rebuild, but that program cratered about as badly as a blue blood can. It's gonna take a minute.

18. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,773
    Again though, it’s not like IU after Sampson where they are playing walk-ons. they still have 5 top-100 recruits on their roster, albeit young.

troggy and Albick like this.
  19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,532
    Arkansas game: not sure how going up and intentionally elbowing someone in the rib is not a flagrant foul?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. Cranjis McBasketball

Money:
    $2,773
    I’m not sure I remember a Feast Week with as many great matchups as this year. It’s really been all week long and this is just today’s slate.