'Nova ACC?

Discussion in 'Around the League' started by shoeevv, Sep 4, 2018.

1. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $489
    The ACC went outside the box to accommodate ND's football status, any thoughts on whether they would do something similar to lure 'Nova to the conference? I may be way off, but I think it's a real threat to the Big East. Realignment is never a dead issue.

FRENCH DAWG likes this.
  2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,026
    I know the board is struggling for topics here in the dog days of summer, but I think that idea is plain silly. I can't imagine how much money the ACC would have to come up with to pry Nova out of this league, it seems like the perfect setup for them at the moment. Unless they want to gear up a big time football program I don't see it making sense. The fact that the Catholic 7 broke free of the football driven schools tells me they are in the Basketball "first" mode and it would take some momumental dollars to change that.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  3. NCJon

NCJon Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,473
    The ACC doesn't need another basketball school. The Notre Dame deal included an obligation to play 5 football games against the ACC each year, which was the prize. Nova doesn't offer anything like that.

Should the ACC seriously consider expanding again - or need to replace another member - Texas and West Virginia would be targets 1 and 2. Cincinnati would be 3 and UConn 4.

4. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $489
    Well at least it was only "plain silly" and not "special silly" . . .

MSUDawg likes this.
  5. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,310
    I'm not saying the above will happen, but Villanova is a top tier FCS football program. The ACC would be a HUGE jump from FCS, but they're better positioned to make that jump than probably any other FCS program.

dreamcrusher78 likes this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,657
    If the ACC and every other power 5 conference don’t want UConn, they absolutely don’t want Villanova. Zero chance any power 5 takes on a team without FBS football - why would you add another mouth to feed when that mouth can’t give you football dollars (which is all that matters in the context of power 5 money)? UConn at least has FBS football (and as of 4 years ago, had a basketball brand comparable to Villanova today), and they still said no.

If Nova were to suddenly decide it wanted to make the gigantic investment necessary to transition to FBS football, maybe there’s a 10% chance it’d happen many, many years after that transition (if it were at all successful). But that’s not happening.

And notre dame arrangement doesn’t really show anything. They’re part of ACC football whether it shows up in the conference standings or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $483
    Hard to say what the school would do if presented that unlikely option but since realignment in 2013 is there a single school that's fared better than Nova?

I do think they had the pieces moving in the right direction and would've been dominate in the old big east (the conference that was co-champed by Gtown and MU in its last year) but they've had a 5 year dynasty and I think selling the Basketball only league and focus has helped them reach their full potential. If Jay has a say I don't think they'd go to the ACC if offered even.

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,292
    The impact if this were to happen would have profound effect on the BE. The ramifications would be a of more than a significant loss prestige and relevance. I do agree the possibility is low at present but never say never.

9. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    I'll say this will never happen...Ever. The more likely is Gonzaga coming to the Big East

10. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,026
    I've forgotten - did Gonzaga say they would be joining the Mountain West conference in 2019-20 ?

11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,819
    Last I've heard they thought about it and eventually declined. They will still be in the WCC...for now

12. novachap

novachap Active Member

Money:
    $187
    Hi folks, having lived through Villanova's up and down ride with football, (I graduated with Howie Long!) I don't see them going back to top-tier football. Not happening, could never get the fan base and lost a fortune on it at that level. Just don't see it happening, ever. With that in mind, I don't think the ACC would ever consider a school just for basketball. Nor frankly, do I think Nova want to leave the Big East.

troggy, fdr, BoyGeoff and 2 others like this.
  13. Eric

Eric Active Member

Money:
    $3,089
    Nova's football stadium seats 12K. The smallest in ACC is 33K. I just don't see any upside for either the ACC or Nova.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,292
    Currently Nova is refurbishing their basketball facility. It would require quite an upgrade for their football stadium.

15. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,310
  16. novachap

novachap Active Member

Money:
    $187

Basketball arena is now done, will be called "the finn".. lead doner is William Finneran.

First game is morgan state (i believe) there and they just announced Michigan will be at the finn and NOT at wells fargo in phila where all the games were last year.

Crazy zoning issues (long story) kept it to just 6500 ish seats, but supposedly many upgrades. Tickets are VERY tough to get.

troggy likes this.
  17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Money:
    $12
    The issue isn't money. The revenue split is generally 80% football and 20% basketball. As a non-football school Nova would not receive a football share so there would be no change for existing members. Nova would certainly enhance BB revenue so there would be an increase for existing members.

The issue is that the ACC only has 1 slot available unless they go to 18 or 20, which creates a whole host of other issues. So, do you use that slot for a BB school that can get you $2-3 million per member or a FB school that can get you $5-8 million per year. ('m guessing on those numbers.)

18. Eric

Eric Active Member

Money:
    $3,089
    You start out saying it's not about money, but then say it's about money. If they do expand, the ACC isn't going to bring in a partial participant. The numbers just dont work.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Money:
    $12
    You are right, I worded that poorly. I should have said that It's not that Villanova couldn't carry their own weight. With only 1 slot you want a school that can get you the max increase.

As far as partials, Texas is the only one that comes close to making financial sense. I don't see that happening though. (So look for the announcement tomorrow lol!)