Old Butler Games

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by readyletsgo, Mar 18, 2019.

1. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $501
    I was feeling a bit down since Butler isn't in the big dance this year, so I decided to upload a couple of old Butler games I have on DVD. These gems deserve to be on Youtube somewhere. Below are the links to Butler vs Louisville in 2003 and Butler vs. Maryland in 2007. Enjoy

NCJon, ButlerNut, #60 and 10 others like this.
  2. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Aj Graves was something special!

What a group of assistants for Butler in ‘07 (Graves, Stevens, Cornette and Jordan)

pappyball and DawgPoundMac like this.
  3. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,493
    Great D in that Louisville game. Talk about protecting the paint. Butler wasn't a great athletic team either, especially compared to Louisville. If Butler was going to get beat then Louisville was going to have to score over them. Good game plan and coaching. A whole lot of the talking heads had picked Louisville to win the national championship that year. Bet first thing Slick Rick did when he got back to Louisville was go to his favorite Italian restaurant for some "comfort" food. P.S. Miller was a hell of a take charge point guard.

IndyDawgs and bmradio99 like this.
  4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,779
    God bless you.

ButlerNut and pappyball like this.
  5. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Love them Dawgs! Badasses!

ButlerNut and pappyball like this.
  6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Thank you so much for posting these!

Also, a lot of Archey’s shots come off a similar play we run for McDermott.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    A great trip down memory lane, fun times!

pappyball likes this.
  8. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    Just watched the game vs. Maryland. So fun to see where we were at that point in retrospect. Pretty amazing what we were able to accomplish as a mid-major doing things The Butler Way.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

pappyball and DawgPoundMac like this.
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    Always wondered why Butler didn’t hire Licklitter back

bubby likes this.
  10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,454
    Man, we used to really control the tempo. We made teams uncomfortable and made them play at our speed.

CarlosDanger, pappyball and Dewars12 like this.
  11. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $842
    Thanks for uploading these! I just watched the Maryland game from 2007. Really made me realize how much I miss Butler Basketball...the kind we haven't really seen for years and surely never will again.

12. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Lickliter was the head coach, with Matthew Graves, Brad Stevens, and LaVall Jordan as assistants. Joel Cornette was Director of Operations. 2006-2007 was a fun team to
    watch, they also won the Preseason NIT beating IU, Notre Dame, Tennessee, and Gonzaga. Good times! Licliter parlayed that season into the Iowa job and Brad Stevens became the Butler coach and the rest is history.

pappyball likes this.
  13. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,184
    I remember that 2003 game like it was yesterday! I set up a projector in my house and played the game on my entire living room wall. Lots of people over. I was screaming and counting the 3's raining down! Archey going 8-9 from 3. The first trip to the Sweet 16 since the tournament went to 64 teams.

I also remember Slick Rick calling Todd Lickliter "Tim" in the postgame. In Butler's postgame was the famous Cornette line, "''On paper people think we're nothing, we can't match up with anybody, we shouldn't be here. You watch TV and people barely knew we were playing today. Nobody talked about us, nobody cares, nobody gave us a shot. We are playing for a national championship -- and we are still here."

14. CarlosDanger

CarlosDanger Member

Money:
    $115
    They used to be so discipline. Played with a great sense of confidence too. Truly a tough blue collar group of gutsy players that wouldn’t back down from anyone.

Ster8462, BoyGeoff, #60 and 2 others like this.
  15. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,525
    Yeah. I've always thought he was a really good coach and have wished BU would have him as HC ever since Stevens left. There's talk on here now about hiring Matta to consult or AC or something. I read that and think, yeah, he'd be nice to have around, but how about Lick?

Some people on this board don't think much of him if I remember correctly. I never understood that. I always figured it must be leftover anger from him leaving for Iowa but I don't know. I guess it's similar to how people feel about Holtmann now.

16. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $19
    Seasons '03-04 '04-05, '05-06, also seemed to have an excuse and or gripe for why things didn't go the Dawgs way. Got a great transfer with Mike Green and lucked out that AJ's 2 older brothers had already come to Butler. Was super excited for Brad when I heard his opening statements as coach and felt that he had a "we are going to own the results" mentality that Todd seemed to lack at times.

17. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $916
    I like going back and watching the UTEP game in the 1st round of the 2010 tournament just for the fact that EVERYONE that had a job on TV covering the tournament were picking UTEP in the classic 5-12 upset, only for Butler to run Caracter, Moultrie, and the rest of the Miners out the damn gym.

#60, ConnersvilleBulldog and UDDawg like this.
  18. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Active Member

Money:
    $501
    I haven't been able to find even highlights of that online...do you have a link, or would you be interested in uploading it somewhere?

19. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,294
    Where do you find that? I watch 2009-2010 Butler tourney games on YT, but I typically only find sweet 16 on. That Syracuse game that year as money too. Also the Florida game the next year too was money to watch. Mack was fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $19
    I still question the hype of Myles Turner for the pacers because Chrabs owned him in our game against Texas that they just had too many "athletes" for Butler to compete. Still why I can never put a Rick Barnes team deep in my bracket.