On the Streak

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by PSUButlerFan, Dec 22, 2020.

1. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,845
    Way to work in your LaVall jab. What specifically is he doing that is not meeting your expectations?

Lots of baseless LaVall criticisms in the SIU game thread, I’m not sure what people are expecting out of him playing glorified preseason scrimmages with almost all new players. Did we really anticipate everything to fall into place day 1?

2xDawg, troggy, Tentozen and 5 others like this.
  2. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,845
    We’re going to have trouble keeping Omar (because he will be poached) around if he continues to be as strong of a recruiter as he’s proven.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,234
    Finances have been and will continue to be an issue until BU comes up with some new innovative solutions. It's actually remarkable BU has managed to come this far and remain competitive. I will say I have zero issues with the present staff given the economic environment. Stability is the critical factor concerning the program at this juncture.

2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  4. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $430
    Since you asked, I don’t think he’s great with X’s/O’s, don’t think he maximizes his talent, doesn’t run anything resembling a good offensive scheme, has a very boring personality that kids have a hard time buying in to, don’t think he’s a great motivator, and think he’s made very uninspired assistant coach hires.

I do think he has recruited well starting last year. Can he sustain that? I hope so. But we’ll see. But I don’t have full confidence that he will keep us on the same trajectory that Holt had us on. We’ll be more Providence then we will be Nova. Do you disagree? Will we close that gap in the next 4 years?

Would love to be wrong here.

5. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $430
    I think you are overvaluing his recruiting. Take a look around the Big East. Yeah, we’re excited about the guys we’ve got coming in, but in reality we are in the middle of the pack in the Big East. Some good players, sure, but we’re not lighting the world on fire.

GodawgsXsucks likes this.
  6. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $493
    Do you REALLY think the freshmen were not aware of the streak? Athletes will seek out ANYTHING to put a chip on their shoulder. Have you heard of teams putting up a quote in their locker room from an upcoming opponent or a reporter just to piss themselves off and take it out on someone in the game? "The Last Dance" was full of stories of how MJ would read the sports page of their opponent's local news paper to find a quote or even an insinuation that would serve to rile him up to keep his edge.

Northwestern attributed their victory over Wisconsin this year to a comment Joey Galloway made about how they were a "bunch of Rese Davisis out there."

Take a look: https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2020/11/23/joey-galloway-says-northwestern-a-bunch-of-rece-davis

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,585
    That's why he happens to be in every national board as the next top assistants to get head coaching jobs... Just utter ignorance except for your continued hate... Has LJ been the best, no. But honestly I'd rather him than Holt. Holt is a used car salesman who hasn't exactly lit the world on fire with unlimited resources at the O$$$

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  8. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $430
    If we’re settling for “not the best” at Head Coach, we’re going to be Providence at best.

I’m salty about Holt leaving too. I hate Ohio State, and am not fond of the way he left at all. But if he’s just a “used car salesmen” would OSU really have thrown the kitchen sink at him to hop aboard?

Interesting that there’s been no such interest in LaVall over the last few years - makes you think....

9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,787
    If Butler was serious about winning Collier would have lured Izzo away from Michigan State by now.

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,756
    I can’t look it up right now, but pretty sure Holt was OSU’s at least 3rd or 4th choice. It’s not like they were banging down his door from the start.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  11. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $918
    [​IMG]

12. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,605
    It's always nice to see Butler's name on a list, but I don't think the streak is awful to lose. We once lost to Northern State at home, so...yeah. (although I think that was an exhibition game)

Ultimately, the 7 consecutive first round NCAA wins mean more.

2xDawg and troggy like this.
  13. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,907
    More concerned about a loss, than ending the streak. I guarantee today they are more upset about losing a winnable game. The streak is just a little salt in the wound, but it’s the loss itself that stings. A win would have done them a world of good mentally—fighting back in the second half without AT against a good squad would have been a boost. Hope Vall can keep them in a fighting mood.

2xDawg, troggy and Tentozen like this.
  14. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $339
    2xDawg and willisbrown like this.
  15. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $555
    Literally none of this chatter means anything whatsoever. What we have seen on the floor is the exact result of a team that is like 6 practices in. Come back in four to five games then spout of your hot takes.

2xDawg, jeff, willisbrown and 3 others like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,463
    Good point there last sentence. By far my biggest concern about this season is morale. We have a freshmen class where none of them are close to home. Keeping the spirits up and belief in the program is all I care about.

jeff and BUcheer like this.
  17. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $609
    I think the loss of TJ hurt worse than the loss of Boltman. Also Jeff choosing to leave earlier than planned hurt too.

18. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $609
    Bring Kelan, Shelvin and Gordon over, Brad too. Focus on the prize. Even the Cornette family.

19. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,845
    Yes I really think it’s possible some of the freshman were unaware of a meaningless streak.

20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,463
    Butler playing the “resources” game isn’t a battle they are going to win, or that is going to make an 18 year old less homesick. Ensuring that they feel valued as a human being and will be happy and cared for is what’s going to be the difference maker.

I literally cannot imagine being a freshman this year going through what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.