OT: Butler Baseball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BUBandGeek, Mar 3, 2015.

1. BUBandGeek

BUBandGeek Member

Money:
    $13
    I know we have a big game tonight against Georgetown, but I'm wondering what insight, if any, folks around here can provide re: Butler's baseball program? I checked out their schedule just now and the team is 1-9 thus far. What is the overall status of the program? Do we have a good staff in place? Obviously basketball is king, but does the Athletic Department have much of an emphasis on or plan for strengthening the baseball program? I know a lot of our teams have really grown on the field/track/court along with the ascension of the men's basketball team, and have held their own in the BE, but it feels like BU Baseball has never been much of a priority. Thoughts?

2. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,566
    From what i understand, despite small improvements, we are at a competitive disadvantage with the current Facilities and coaching salaries. Its difficult to attract and retain any assistant coaching talent with the current situation.

3. bakerh13

bakerh13 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Need to bring back Scotty.

4. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    After starting the season 3-14 Butler has now won 9 straight, including a 3 game sweep of Purdue. They start conference play against St. John's at Victory field on April 2nd.

5. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,566
    Pleasantly surprised at the turn around so far this season. Hope they can keep it up!

6. BUBandGeek

BUBandGeek Member

Money:
    $13
    I saw that! I took notice that they had won 6 straight, but when I looked at the opponents I was very underwhelmed and discounted the string of wins significantly. Purdue isn't some world-beater of a baseball program, but to sweep 3 from a B1G oppenent is a good sign that BU is actually getting on a nice roll. Keep it up Dawgs!

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,235
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Game on tonight! Butler vs. SHU. Go Dawgs!

#60 likes this.
  9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    Opened with a 2-1 victory over Seton Hall in 13 innings. They move on to play St. John’s. It’s a 4 team, double elimination format.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

#60 and huss587 like this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    Hell of a game! The baseball team is really looking good!

huss587 likes this.
  11. huss587

huss587 Active Member

Money:
    $304
    Great to see... If it wasn’t for Coach Farley, I would’ve never went to Butler, met my wife, yada yada yada, but the program needed new leadership. I love what Schrage has done. I would’ve laughed, HARD, if someone told me Butler baseball would eventually be winning BIG EAST Tourney games 10 years ago. Keep it up boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $661
    It'd be cool to see the tournament played at Victory Field in the next few seasons. Does anybody know the current contract with the ballpark in Ohio?

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,235
    Got out of a TIGHT, bases loaded/no outs jam in the bottom of the 7th inning.

HUEVOS!! Or, as Mr. Raftery would say, "ONIONS!!"

huss587 and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    That was a hell of a win! Those couple of walks in the 13th were making me nervous, but the closer buckled down and got the job done.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    Lost to SJU 12-8. Were down 12-2.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,235
    The first 2 innings killed us. Can't go down that big to the #12 team in the country & expect to come back.

Saturday's another day. And another showdown with Seton Hall. Other than the season's first game with the Pirates, every game has been 3-runs or less. Likely another nail biter to try to take down St. John's. Gotta win 3 in a row to take the championship. St. John's just needs to win one game on Sunday.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,472
    Dawgs knocked out today by SHU 4-3.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,235
    Heartbreaker.

EXCELLENT SEASON, GENTLEMEN!! Thanks for your efforts. Next year looks promising!

seadawg and huss587 like this.
  19. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,367
    Butler pitcher, Ryan Pepiot was drafted in the 3rd Round by the Dodgers. Scouts for MLB.com stated he probably has the best change-up in the draft.

jkcdawgs, huss587, Sidd Finch and 8 others like this.
  20. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,367
    Butler OF, Harrison Freed was selected by the SF Giants in the 13th round. MLB.com scouting report says he went from being a walk-on to one of the best sluggers in the Big East.

#baseballschool

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    huss587, #60 and butlerguy03 like this.