OT: NBA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bumba, Jul 5, 2018.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,620
    I know many of you don't like/follow the NBA game, but some of us do simply because we love basketball or the (insert your favorite team here) Pacers. BU is currently slow on news with scholies filled up & no regular season so I'm curious to hear if you think Lance & LeBron will co-exist on the Lakers or if this is a trainwreck waiting to happen.

NBA: LeBron James Gives LA Lakers Permission To Sign Lance Stephenson
    https://www.inquisitr.com/4971077/n...la-lakers-permission-to-sign-lance-stephenson

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,378
    Conspiracy theories are generally stupid, so the following probably is, too. But here's a random thought I had this week:

How hard would it be to believe that someone is paying Boogie money under the table? He signed a one year deal for 5 million. Enes Kanter made 21 million this year. Even coming off the injury, Cousins' market had to be something close to 25 million, right? You're telling me the guy is willing to take a 20 million dollar pay cut to get a ring (not to mention the blow of CA income taxes)? Maybe, but isn't it also possible that there are people funneling him some money to soften to blow? Other than maybe the Knicks and Lakers, I'd imagine there's no fan base wealthier than GSW, and there may be no team that has a roster with as deep of pockets as GSW (e.g., Durant and Curry are two of the richest guys in the league). If you're Durant, or Curry, or a 28 year old who just sold his start up to Google for 160million, would you chip in 2 million to the Boogie fund to essentially guarantee a title next year? I would.

3. ArizonaXU

ArizonaXU New Member

Money:
    $27
    Cousins is off of an Achilles tear. That is something that is hard to come back from in any sport basketball being the hardest. Couple that with he is 270#. His market was higher than 5.3M but it was not 25M. I would think 10-15M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,378
    If that's the case, then it's much more understandable because he'll get the season/NBA Finals to show he's 100% and get a great contact next year that more than makes up for the cut this year. Is that true, though? I hadn't seen that the injury was projected to hurt his value so much. It's not like he's ever been a springy player, and he's not old.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $556
    Achilles tears in general are very difficult to come back from. Pair that with it happening to a guy who was already a big, lumbering dude in a game that continues to pick up speed, and Boogie gets what he gets. He sees himself as a max player. I think New Orleans was possibly toying with the idea when he was healthy, but I think everyone is waiting to see how he comes back from this injury before committing to him for big money and long-term money. The move makes sense for him and the Warriors. Now if Houston puts Chris Paul on their 5 man, Golden State can destroy that defense, whereas this past season they struggled to beat that.

NBA offseason is infinitely more interesting to me than the games themselves. I think if the Lakers fail to get Kawhi, or if they do get Kawhi and it turns into another Steve Nash situation where he's never the same player, it's going to be a disaster. There are literally no nights off in the West, and if Lebron is still there by himself when the season ends, they'll be lucky to get out of the first round.

6. Hinkle Cellar Dweller

Hinkle Cellar Dweller New Member

Money:
    $14
    I thought of another angle that could derail the Lakers. Lebron generates a lot of off-court attention and stories by himself and seems to be the type of personality who wears on teammates and members of the organization over time. Pair that with Lavar Ball's circus act and I could see the young players on the Lakers imploding because of the strain from the drama.

7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,918
    Give you all something to chew on-

James has averaged $130,000 per day for the last 15 years. That's per day.

8. bumba

Money:
    $4,620
    Translation: Single NBA 1st round pick & new millionaire overdoes it with sorority girls.

9. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,156
    The Pelicans reportedly offered him 2 years at $20M per. He's a max level player when healthy. This is somewhat of a strange year for free agents, given that there are a number of prized free agents that will be hitting the market in 2019 and the slowing cap growth. Most teams are trying to create or maintain flexibility for next summer. I'm still surprised there weren't more teams willing to take a chance on him at $20-25M per for 2-4 years, which would prove to be a bargain if he returns to his former self, much like the Warriors and Steph Curry in 2012.

I'm not even a huge fan, but Boogie is one of the best playmaking big men in the league and averaged more assists than every center not named Nikola Jokic, who might already be the best passing big man ever. He averaged 35.4% from three last year with a fairly high volume (6.1 attempts per game), especially for a center. He also led all centers in steals per game (1.6) and is an elite rebounder and scorer. I don't think the game is passing him by.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/17/demarcus-cousins-pelicans-anthony-davis-james-harden

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  10. fdr

Money:
    $1,156
    I hate the Lakers more than any other team in the NBA, by far. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them lock up the seventh seed and fall in the first round of the playoffs.

11. fdr

Money:
    $1,156
  12. bumba

Money:
    $4,620
    It might take Kelan a bit longer to get his opportunity but I do think it's coming. He's at TB's level of game.

Good for TB, he's still an Indy guy.

13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,977
    He will probably give himself every chance to get an NBA job but I really think he just ends up having a Rotnei Clarke type career, where he goes overseas somewhere and leads the league in scoring. That will be better for him than sticking around in the D league.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

MSUDawg, Hinkle and DawgsMD like this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,378
    Agree. Hate to think this way, but I hope kelan can give up on the nba thing relatively quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app