OT: NBA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bumba, Jul 5, 2018.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,136
    I understand where this is coming from but the word “governor” seems inaccurate to me. The most common understanding in the US would be the governor of a state—an elected official. Owners are not elected. And yes, I get that “govern” has other meanings but this one seems off to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon and Hinkle like this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    If something is offensive to the vast majority of a business's employees, and changing it won't harm anyone, wouldn't you be an idiot not to make the change?

I will say it seems like a dumb replacement term. Wouldn't "shareholders" work? It doesn't carry the same connotations I don't think, and it's a whole lot more accurate than "governor," which isn't really used outside the political context, and which would be a better term for a GM or president or someone in ops than someone who generally isn't actually governing anything.

NCJon likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,711
    I don't know if it's offensive to the vast majority, I know a few have spoken out and that Adam Silver is the most woke commissioner out there, so, he'd fall right for it. I think something like "investors" would be ok, but still, I think this is a little much PC overreach. Then again, that's the world we live in, everything is offensive to someone, and that someone makes their voice heard while the silent majority shakes their head.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,272
    I agree that "governor" sounds a little off. I imagine they were looking for a term that adequately covers the variety of ownership models/business structures across the league that also would not unintentionally misrepresent a particular person's role with a team. I also imagine there are business structures where "investor" or "shareholder" would be inaccurate.

I also think it's probably more than a small number of players who are bothered by the current term. Seems like a harmless change to me.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    I’m pretty confident the majority of NBA players would prefer a different term. But does it matter if it’s 20% or 60%? And what do you or I or anyone else gain from calling it “owners”?

If 99/100 people get nothing out of something, and even one person is bothered or harmed by it, wouldn’t it make sense to accommodate? If a company’s ad used a font that 99/100 people could read, and another was available that 100/100 could read, and the cost to switch was zero, what would you do?

It’s a pretty straightforward cost benefit analysis. I know Tucker Carlson probably tells us we should get worked up, but that seems pretty silly.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    I'm not worked up. I could care less what the NBA does. I just think it's a little off and goofy. Doesn't work me up though. Makes me laugh at the silliness. That's the benefit of being a radical moderate though, damn near all that gets the PC progressives worked up and damn near all that gets the far right riled up...I simply sit back, sip a beer and laugh at it all. I have a business to run and bills to pay, I don't give a rip about 99% of the things that bring rabble from the media/politicians/activists.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,037
    You brought it up...

8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,136
    Again, understand where the term “owner” might cause some consternation—and the NBA is obviously free to handle as they fit. Also important to note that the owners own the team—we all understand they don’t own the players. Just think Governor seems a bit contrived but majority equity holder doesn’t quite roll off the tongue.:p

9. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $154
    Chairman / Chairwoman might make more sense, since generally the ownership group is lead by one person.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    I did. Because I think it's kinda crazy and goofy. But funny. Not anything to get fired up about. I'm sure some will have a field day with it like you said though...telling us all we should be all riled up at this travesty.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    The Pacers are having a hell of a night.

fdr and bumba like this.
  12. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $461
    Meh, losing Bogie was not good. I also don't understand why we had to give up three draft picks to sign a free agent...

I wanted De'Angelo. Happy with Lamb though.

bumba likes this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,470
    Brogdon can play the 1 & 2, was rookie of the year in '16-'17 and Collison retired yesterday. The second round picks don't matter as much honestly. They were acquired for the purpose of a free agency trade.

It would have been nice to sign Bogey, but I don't think he's an $18-$20 million guy. Thad was consistent but Nate has to get the young guys like TJ Leaf & Sabonis more minutes at the 4. It's also being reported Sumner is going to get a multi-year deal, so that's two althetic guys running the offense between him & Holliday.

Not going to lie - I think Pritchard made us better tonight. We got younger and more athletic. Feeling cautiously optimistic right now.

NCJon and fdr like this.
  14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,239
    He was a RFA. Without the sign and trade, the Bucks could have waited 2 days to match whatever offer any team made to him tonight. Now, the Bucks weren’t going to match and pay Brogdon no matter what because of the luxury tax, but they could really screw over the Pacers by putting them in Salary Cap limbo for 2 days and it would have allowed other stupid organizations (hello knickerbockers) to make better offers after missing on the plan A targets on the first night of Free Agency...

Giving up the 1st rd pick sucks, but Sabonis has to be dealt bc he, Turner, and the rookie center from Georgia all play the same position. Hopefully that yields a 1st rounder. TJ Leaf better do some things bc rn I’m not sold at all. Thoughts and prayers this becomes a bad hot take

SnoopDawg likes this.
  15. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,496
    I still have hope for TJ. He needs game time. If he can just become a spot contributor for 5-10 minutes a night then I'm happy.

I'm all about moving Sabonis. Fantastic guy and a great player, but he doesn't really fit the modern game all that well. I'll be interested to see what the market is like for him; I'm intrigued by a possible Sabonis and Jaylen Brown swap, and I think the Celtics listen too given that Horford just walked. It doesn't fit what we need perfectly but Brown still has a pretty high ceiling.

I'm not sure how the Sabonis/Turner pairing is going to work. We're going to miss Thad's defense and rebounding. Still have ~$5 million in cap space and the room exception, so let's see what happens.

bumba likes this.
  16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,470
    Agree, Leaf is averaging 10 minutes a game and it's still hard to tell what kind of contribution he can make. He's only had two years in the league, but he should be ready by now to make an impact. They either need to turn him loose or move on after the contract.

Maybe Sabonis stays at the 5 and Turner plays more at the 4, then Goga backs them both up? I don't know how they would use all three. Goga has been playing in the Russian/EuroLeague since he was 16 though. He averaged 18 & 9 last year as a 19 year old! I think he could be better than most people anticipate. Sabonis would be the odd guy out of those three, which is hard to imagine because he had a solid impact last season too (e.g. averaged 14 & 9 in 25 mpg).

17. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    I'm not claiming to be an NBA savant, or that I'm absolutely, positively right on this, but I would pass on Kyrie Irving if I was the one calling the shots for an NBA team.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,711
    All I know is that Brad upgraded at that position. Lyrie may be slightly more talented than Kemba, but I'm team Kemba all day playing for Brad vs having to put up with Kyrie any further. You know Brad is thrilled.

bumba and SnoopDawg like this.
  19. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,239

I love the NBA sooooo much!

20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,165
    What happened yesterday is another reason I hate the NBA, teams like Pacers will never get a chance as long as the "superstars" pick which team to go to. Folks Indianapolis
    will never be a destination for the league's "superstars". How many of the Pacers actually live in Indy during the off season? Cannot think of any.