OT: NBA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bumba, Jul 5, 2018.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Is that really a slap against Indy though? If I made millions of NBA dollars a year, I'd probably live in Hawaii in the offseason.

BulldogsAllTheWay likes this.
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
    I’m sorry to break this to you, but hardly anyone lives in the city they play for anymore in the NBA. As soon as the season ends, they all go somewhere insane on vacation and then leave to train at professional training shops in Miami, LA, Texas, etc. (LA is insane during the summer w the number of pros training and playing pickup games) The way for a city like Indy or a team like the Pacers to win the championship is to do exactly what the Raptors just did or what the Milwaukee Bucks are doing. Draft well, build a team with good players on appropriate contracts, have a good coach and front office... then find a way to get a top 20 player. A team in Toronto, Canada just won an NBA championship! How many of them do you think live there 24/7/365!?!

There’s also one Pacer who owns a place and lives here w his family almost all year, until he goes to train????
    He has a Butler connection
    he’s the longest tenured Pacer, I think 5+ years...
    Myles Turner

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    UDDawg likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    If I made 8 figures and had 4-5 months off, I wouldn't even be in the US.

bumba likes this.
  4. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $613
    Spot on, Chris. Way to be plugged in.

I wonder what Kawhi Leonard thought of Drake being "heavily involved" in Toronto's pitch. Was it a big-time turnoff for him or did it intrigue him because it's an unofficial outside revenue stream that sweetened the pot the Raptors could offer?

5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,289
    Oh yeah the Pacers also have an A1 practice facility too, which helps some too... WELP

6. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,544
    Jaxson Hayes had himself a game last night.

7. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,200
    NCJon and estar20dawg like this.
  8. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $116
  9. gytisfromhr

gytisfromhr New Member

Money:
    $11
    What are your opinions on Zion, overrated or not? will be story Rose 2 story, cause of injuries?

10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,348
    I guess you can never predict the injury bug shortening a career, but I will be shocked if he doesn't become a superstar and have a long career. The last two basketball players whose athleticism for their size amazed me as much Williamson's at this stage of his career are Shaq and LeBron.

11. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $794
    Zion is like a taller, bigger version of Charles Barkely who was a beast at barely 6'6"...IMHO. With his quickness and body control he's like a guard playing in a power forward body. Scary.

Go Dawgs!

Sent from my moto z4 using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Sidd Finch

Money:
    $613
    Pretty sure ZW was 6'6" when the NBA measured him (without shoes on).

MBA2003 likes this.
  13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,348
    I almost said something about Charles because his height and weight are closer to Barkley's. But I am not old enough to remember Charles college career or his early days in Philly. My first memories of Charles are probably around '88 or '89 when he was already a bona fide star.

godogs91 likes this.
  14. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,200
    And Sir Charles was actually only 6'4 1/2". Dude was a beast.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

MBA2003 likes this.
  15. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    I was around then , I actually helped Naismith nail up the first basket - Charles at Auburn was indeed a beast, he had a nose for the ball no matter where it went, and despite his nonsensical broadcasting skill, he had a very high BB IQ.
    Not sure he could elevate like ZW, but they would have been an interesting one on one.

jkcdawgs, MBA2003 and NCJon like this.
  16. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $731
    We measured Charles at 6’ 4 even

godogs91 and MBA2003 like this.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,249
    Barkley the player was legitimate. And his life has gone full circle. When he was a chunky player at Auburn, his nickname was "the round mound of rebound." Then he slimmed down for the NBA, becoming a bona fide hall of fame player.

Nowadays, he's returned to his "round" monicker. More of a "mountain" than a "mound" in the present tense.

Nonetheless, he's always been a tough player. He was among the last participants cut by Bobby Knight for the 1984 Olympics--one of America's best "amateur" olympic squads:
    https://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/14/sports/barkley-is-cut-in-us-basketball-trials.html

MBA2003 likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Since you all are dead set on posting about pro teams on here what do you think about the NBA and the China situation?

19. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    I think they should tear down that wall...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. Sidd Finch

Money:
    $613
    I think you will hear very (and I mean VERY) little from anyone associated with the NBA (players, management, owners) about China not named Adam Silver. He will basically be the sole mouthpiece on the issue. The players might ordinarily resent that, but their love of money will trump their love of the 1st Amendment. Loss of China money would have a profound enough impact on the salary cap and the players don't want that. Silver is smart and savvy. I'm guessing he'll be able to navigate this. China will basically get what they want. Silence. No protest. It will just sort of fade away.

As is usually the case, money talks.

gytisfromhr likes this.