Other games thread discussion

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    They’re great. Let’s check back in April.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,448
    UCLA keeps trying to beat Gonzaga at their own game by running and jacking up early 3's. That's not how you beat them. Going 1-10 from 3 also doesn't help

3. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,271
    The only way to beat them is to bully them. That’s what Baylor did. Zags last year were a bit soft. That’s what it will take to beat them.

BoyGeoff and dawgs2014 like this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    Which is why I don’t see a, e.g., Nova or Duke or UCLA beating them. Gonna take a great team that’s kinda weird by today’s standards…like a team that plays slow and efficient from inside out because they have two elite big men…

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

5. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,271
    Lol come on… Gonzaga has multiple bigger and more elite big men. You have the National POY in Timme and the #1 recruit/Top 3 lottery pick.

They have two 4-star backup bigs. And a 6-7 shooting guard in Strawther.

Zags are elite everywhere. Wish they still had Suggs.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    They are definitely great everywhere, but Edey is weird and great and weird and great is what could beat them.

(I think you’d agree Edey and Williams are very different kinda big guys than Chet and DT (though amazingly, all four of them are currently in Kenpom’s top 10 players list.))

7. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,271
    Holmgren is nasty. Whoever coached him and Suggs in HS did something right… teaching Uber-talented lottery picks to be team-first guys. Amazing.

Chet is incredibly skilled and plays with fire for his team. Just like Suggs. Amazing.

znelson15 likes this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,056
    There's no justifiable way to explain the different punishments within the team except to acknowledge Banchero is a good player and Savarino is not.

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    Banchero got in a car with a driver who was .01 too drunk. Sav drove drunk. These are vastly different levels of culpability in any sane non-legal sense. Duke is not - and should not- be dolling out punishments on the basis of what the legal system indicates but on the basis of what it thinks about the conduct and what it needs to prevent/correct. People driving drunk damages society. People riding in a car with one who they thought was legally sober (as most .08 people seem) does so only in the most strained and tangential sense.

If you don’t see any of this, I’m shocked, and I’d suspect you are blinded either by your JD or by your Duke haterade. You are smarter than this. I get everyone hates Duke, but acting like the two players did the same thing is absurd.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    2xDawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  10. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,921
    True, but tossing your keys to a drunk person and allowing him to drive your car isn't completely faultless. I'm guessing Banchero had to be the drunker of the two for that to happen.

Either way, as far as optics - to not even give a slap on the wrist looks bad. If one of our freshmen got charged with a crime (even if it was minor) I doubt they'd start the game the next day.

NCJon likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    I suppose I have a lot less of an issue with someone saying he should’ve been punished than someone saying his punishment should equal Sav’s.

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    This is an interesting law. At first when I thought of it I felt like I admire the spirit of it, but I think an equal punishment seems kind of crazy. After all, he quite literally did create a situation where someone did something very dangerous.

On the other hand, what will he learn from this legally? On one hand he may learn to not give his keys to someone who has been drinking and that would be good, but on the other-it’s not crazy for his lesson to be he should just drive himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,281
    Am I missing something as well, isn't Paulo 18 or 19, isn't that an understanding drinking ticket as well, that alone should be a suspension

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,384
    Or….and hear me out….maybe the lesson is neither of you should be driving. Have a DD. Call a cab. Get an Uber. Call a friend. Call a teammate. Call a coach. But don’t drive drunk/buzzed.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and NCJon like this.
  15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    I do wonder what the citation is IF you've been drinking underage but do not have any alcohol on you (like a 12 pack, bottle etc). Question is if he wasn't driving in this case, does he get breathalized? And if he didn't have anything on him and they didn't check his bac...can't remember if they did or not but in GA if you're a passenger (same in TN and MS) you don't have to agree to a breath test and won't face any consequences outside of calling a ride to get home. NC seems different with their booze laws though.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    No one is saying that’s not the best route. But that’s not what happened, so you look at what did happen and figure out the most reasonable response. Equating a bad thing with a less bad thing is neither reasonable nor just.

The US criminal justice system struggles among its Western peers in large part because even bright Americans like NCJon are relatively bloodthirsty and uninterested in nuance when it comes to responding to crime. For all of our collective draconianism, we get nothing back in return but high rates of recidivism and incarceration.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    Of COURSE. But it’s not that’s not new news. He knew that ahead of time. I’m sure he thought he was doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,490
    In actual game news, Loyola up on Michigan State at the half by 5. Don't lose your culture Loyola, it isn't fun to deal with.

19. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,384
    The question presented was, "what will he learn from this legally?" NOT what should be done in this situation for a reasonable response. "What will he learn?"

Dawgs then states, "he may learn to not give his keys to someone who has been drinking and that would be good, but on the other-it’s not crazy for his lesson to be he should just drive himself." I certainly hope he learns that neither of those two options are acceptable.

A pet peeve of mine is when you are "coaching" someone about poor performance and they reply "Yeah, I know!" Really? If you knew before screwing up, then why did you do what you did?! You either didn't know and you can learn from this. Or you truly knew and were just grossly negligent.

If he truly thought he was doing the right thing, then he DIDN'T know the best option is for neither of them to drive. If he knew of the other options but still thought having one of them drive was the best option, then he was grossly negligent and needs to learn to not be grossly negligent in the future.

ButlerProf likes this.
  20. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $17,271
    Here’s the question:

If this wasn’t Coach K’s last year, does he get suspended?

I’m betting yes. K needs him to get a high seed and wants to go out a winner. The Media can complain, but what does K care? He’s done.

NCJon likes this.