Other games thread discussion

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Nov 5, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,056
    The citation is the same because the charge is possession or consumption of alcohol by a minor. The practical reality is that most law enforcement don't mess with charging someone - or at least not an 18, 19 or 20 year old - for consumption alone. There's a whole host of reasons for that. You see it more frequently for people under 18.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    I think I have to disagree on grossly negligent. He could have been, certainly. But if his teammate says “I’ll drive you home I’m sober”, Banchero was doing what he believed to be the responsible act.

I think he would have to know that his teammate was “drunk” in order to be grossly negligent, and that likely would require more information than he was capable of having (given the reading was .08)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. NCJon

Money:
    $9,056
    I'm bloodthirsty? That's ridiculous. I'm not calling for the kid's head. I'm just calling out the obvious hypocrisy here. Duke has historically suspended athletes while minor charges are still pending, and dismissed them when more serious charges are filed. I know Duke's past practice from personal experience with cases involving athletes. If they followed that policy here, Banchero would be out through mid-December at best and would miss their games against Gonzaga and Ohio State.

You're bending over backwards to draw some moral distinction between Banchero and Savarino when they're literally charged with the same crime. And by the way, 0.08 BAC is not 0.01 over the legal limit for a 20 year old. It's 0.08 over the legal limit. Banchero wasn't charged because he was a passenger. He was charged because it was his vehicle and he was a passenger, which is enough to make him legally complicit in the crime.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,206
    By this sentence here it’s clear you missed the whole point, so, dropping it.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,270
    It’s not like he did something horrible and smoked a little bit of weed. That’ll get you 3 games at some places.

6. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,448
    When a discussion about Duke basketball breaks out:

willisbrown likes this.
  7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,448
    I don't know if this game vs Auburn is a one off, but UCONN can shoot the bleep out of the basketball

Also, a UCONN freshman has the nickname "Air Fryer." That's phenomenal

ButlerProf, bwesson15 and dawgs2014 like this.
  8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    But as a passenger in this case, do they make the passenger do the breath test? That's where I'm curious. Did they charge him because it was his car or because he was a minor that had been drinking...or both? If he had booze on him, then an MIP is a no brainer (if the cop wants to be a hard ass)but curious as to the charge they hit him with...do they have to have proof of anything other than it's his car?

9. bwesson15

bwesson15 Well-Known Member

Watching Auburn makes me so jealous. They would make us turn the ball over 100 times and run us out the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,296
    Texas A&M beat ND in the final Maui/LV game last night. They outscored them by 16 in the 2nd half & caused 17 ND turnovers.

11. NCJon

Money:
    $9,056
    In this case they probably did try to get him to take a portable breath test just because it was a highway patrol case and their practice, in my experience, is to give PBTs out like they're lollipops. But it isn't necessary to prove the case against him.

What they have to prove is that 1) Savarino was driving impaired and 2) that Banchero knowingly assisted him. Banchero being drunk too (assuming he was) wouldn't really be a factor except maybe if he was passed out it might open a viable defense on the knowingly part. Just being hammered wouldn't.

To the defendant being drunk or sober part, I handled an aid and abet case a few years ago where the defendant was stone cold sober. Her husband got a DWI, blew a .2 something, and she was called to come pick him up. She drove him right back to the parking lot where his car had been left and he got back behind the wheel. The same trooper witnessed her pulling up and dropping him off. Husband got a second DWI charge and wife got an aid and abet.

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,331
    Ok, your case...that's just plain stupid what they did. Not even silly. Stupid.

It sounds like (I know NC laws are different) that it would be an easy play to defend Banchero legally if it gets that far. If they have a breath test recorded (or blood) have him plea to an Minor consumption, take some counseling and do some community service. If they don't have anything on him other than it was his car, isn't that some that should be pretty easy to get kicked or will the county only take a plea deal?

13. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,281
    Whatever the line is against UConn, I'm hammering UConn, good Lord...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,281
    Wow, what a god awful call that's going to cost UConn the game. There are bad calls but this was a just amazing bad call, trail ref who can't see jack, calls an across the arm on a clear jump ball or no call where the under the basket ref had a clear view doesn't call anything, and it fouls out Cole... Just wow

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,428
    Iona and slick rick strike again and beat Bama

The man can coach

ButlerProf, BoyGeoff and willisbrown like this.
  16. DawgPoundMac

DawgPoundMac Well-Known Member

Money:
    $382
    That Belmont/Drake game was one of the best I’ve watched this year. Both played really well.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,331
    Iona-Belmont tomorrow night will be (should be at least) outstanding. We have dinner reservations at 715 unfortunately but I'll dvr it and watch it late night. The fundamentals and play will be worth a late night. I didn't catch much of Iona today but my brother told me it was damn near a perfectly executed game by them.

DawgPoundMac and znelson15 like this.
  18. BURph92

Money:
    $2,296
    Just out of curiosity can anyone(maybe UDDawg) explain how Dayton just beat Miami(FL) & Kansas(today) after losing 3 straight to UMass-Lowell, Lipscomb by 19, & Austin Peay?

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,335
    Not really, honestly. However, full disclosure I didn't watch a second of those 3 losses so I can't speak to how bad they looked then. But there's definitely some talent there, especially in top-50 recruit freshman DaRon Holmes. Old friend/recruit Elijah Weaver is in his 2nd season with them after being at USC, and they have Scoochie Smith's little brother as a freshman starting PG.

BURph92 likes this.
  20. BURph92

Money:
    $2,296
    Thanks for the info. Sometimes sports results are hard to explain.

UDDawg likes this.