Other games thread discussion

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,449
    I can’t really recall a Butler game where I’ve truly felt like we can’t win. Unlikely games to win? Yes, every year. Games where I felt confident we cannot be competitive? No.

2. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $760
    I had the same thought last night watching the game. I felt totally dejected watching OSU compete and think, damn, what would our team be like if they had been able to retain Holtmann.

znelson15 and dippper61 like this.
  3. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,088
    Purdue 82
    Butler 46

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,548
    Whatever the line is, bet Purdue and the points. They play to a standard, and Butler would desperately need them to play to the opponent to remain competitive. They dismantled a pretty good FSU team by 30. The way we've been playing, Butler could be down 25+ at the half.

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,140
    I think I mentioned it upthread a while back, but I was very impressed with how they dismantled a good Carolina team and very good Nova team in back-to-back games at the Hall of Fame Tip Off in Connecticut. Nova and Carolina play different styles and have different strengths and none of it phased the Boilers. This is the best I have seen Purdue play since that 93-94 squad led by Glenn Robinson. The Crossroads game could be very ugly.

BoilerBulldog likes this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,868
    If that line is 20ish or lower...it'll be xmas for all you gamblers out there. Purdue is complete and skilled all over plus disciplined in their play. They are the 180 of Butler in all phases right now, especially talent and coaching. This will not be a fair fight.

ButlerProf likes this.
  7. dippper61

dippper61 Active Member

Money:
    $216
    Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game. I miss not only having a competent coach manning our sidelines but a leader who knows how to run a program.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,449
    How are we going to hold them to 82? Their lowest output of the year is the 80 they scored against Nova.

I think it’ll be something like 80-50 with several minutes left and then from there maybe we touch it up. It’s going to be embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,438
    Purdue will embarrass more than 1 team this season.

10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,392
    This may be correct, but it doesn't excuse the fact that Butler will likely be one of them. That should never happen.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,868
    91-52 is my prediction.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,449
    IU was number 1 when we played them (beat them) in the 12-13 season, and we’ve played nova at number 1 in recent memory. Never once did I think “oh, we’re definitely not going to be competitive and we definitely are going to get embarrassed.”

jkcdawgs, 2xDawg, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,868
    I've had one time and that towards the end of 2013-3014 when we played Nova at Nova (I think it was a mid to late feb game) and the wheels were really coming off at that point. I knew there was no chance to win for sure and that it would likely be a beatdown.

I'm with you here...I mean I felt we'd get blown away by Houston but not like I feel how embarrassingly bad the game against Purdue will be.

14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,683
    Pretty sure the OSU fans were questioning the hire when as a #2 seed they lost in the first round last year to #15 Oral Roberts. If that happened at BU under Holtmann we’d be honked and not ready to crown him king. Having said that, if he’d stayed at BU I think we’d be in a more stable spot right now—those reboots have been hard all around. But again—he wasn’t staying after OSU opened their bank to him.

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  15. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,542
    And several people praising him now were bashing him and questioning his ability when he was here.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  16. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,250
    If I’m correct, we had Rotnei Clark, Rose, Marshall, Dunham, Moose to body up Zeller, and of course our secret weapon Barlow. Plus it was Stevens vs Crean on the sidelines. While we weren’t as “skilled” as IU, we at least had personnel to challenge them at most positions.

I remember we played so tough that Moose, Jones, and Fromm all fouled out from guarding Zeller and Watford.

We have nobody to guard 7’4 Edey. Williams is going to eat Golden for breakfast. We are going to get torched from 3 by Thompson and Stefanovic because they are so good moving without the ball. Ivey is a lottery pick who can get anywhere on the court with his quickness and is shooting +40% from 3. The dude averages like 3 thunderdunks per game. And Furst is an all-big ten freshman.

They average 12 offensive rebounds a game and have 6 players shooting >40% from 3. Plus they only have 2 players averaging more than 25 minutes a game. It’s not like you just have to shut down 1 or 2 players. It’s freaking insane. Williams comes off the bench and he was all big-ten last year. I will not be upset watching this game because there just isn’t anything we can do to stop them.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $131
    I had the same thought 2 years ago, and Golden outplayed Williams. I remember Williams really struggled and Golden had 14 points. That being said, Purdue is MUCH better this year, and Golden has regressed.

18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,501
    Purdouche? Are you like a freshman at IU?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  19. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,909
    And the worst part? Given that we haven't beaten anyone with a pulse this season. Losing to Purdue and OK will leave us with having to finish in the top 4 or so in the BE to make the tourney. I just don't see this team making that sort of 180, but who knows. Maybe Hodges and Tate are the missing pieces. Either way, this is just as close as going off the edge the other way.

20. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,606
    To be fair, 355/358 teams in D1 could say the same thing.

NCJon, Tentozen and knobcreekfan like this.