Phil Knight Invitational Game Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 20, 2017.

1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,111
    I don’t have an axe to grind with play by play or color announcers. Of course there are some I prefer. That game was a Royal Sh_t Show from the start. I can see why announcers drift away from a bad game. Dakich is a stream of consciousness guy anyway, and he did go off pretty far into the weeds in this broadcast.
    I was already imploding on my own and did not need to turn to tv guys as a / the reason for my concerns with this team.
    Thing is, as bad as that game was, it was close enough most of the way. Butler actually turned the tide at a most improbable moment.
    So I went from “getting fitted for a straight jacket” to “just win baby” in 10 minutes time.
    Is it too much to ask for more consistency? Not in the booth, on the floor. Loved the win and 2/1 in Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,484
    Give me Bill Raftery every day of the week. Entertaining and he knows his hardwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bumba and DawgsMD like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,438
    "Slick" has been doing the color on radio for over 30 yrs. He only does home games at age 85. He is usually ahead of the coaches in terms of adjustments to be made. Vast Knowledge of the game.

troggy and Gregory Roach like this.
  4. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $615
    I couldn't agree more with this thought. Slick is a personal HS friend of my father's so I have known Slick for nearly 50 years (I first met him in the Pacers locker room at the Coliseum in early 1968 at age 10) . He has forgotten more about B-Ball then all of us on this site have collectively learned. For Mark Boyle to heap praise on someone is an achievement unto itself and Mark never ceases to gush over Slick.

5. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $414
    I have no doubt Slick has a ton of basketball knowledge, but every time I listen to a Pacers broadcast it's essentially Mark talking and slick chiming in every minute or so with a "Boom Baby" or some other random two word interjection. I haven't ever heard much insight

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,140
    I'm glad to hear Slick is still holding his own. I haven't lived in the Indy area for more than 20 years, so it has been a long time since I have heard him call a game. But when I think back to my childhood there and the beginnings of my love of basketball, listening to Slick on Pacers games is a big part of that time in my life.

I have no bone to pick with Dakich, but don't believe any sportscaster should ever call their own child's game.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,449
    My favorite commentator in any sport.

DawgsMD and joliebeth23 like this.
  8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,631
    It’s ironic that the post-game O$U part of this thread has turned exactly into how the game was called. The basketball game was absolute ****. The score at halftime was 24-21, we shot 36%, and O$U choked, but let’s not focus on the game just like Dakich. Focusing on announcers is much more fun than the game... hooray we won!

Dakich calls the Purdue Louisville game tonight. I wonder if again he doesn’t offer any game analysis?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,313
    Ditto for Bilas calling Duke games. But Dakich was fair with his son and called him out for a couple of mistakes.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
    Would you rather have Vitale screaming?

11. DawgFan14

DawgFan14 Active Member

Money:
    $313
    Also took time to talk about his son's girlfriend. Glad he found time for it.

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
    I learned there are no left handed Lacrosse sticks which was more than I learned about anything else on Sunday.

13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,599
    Didn’t he say it was field hockey? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
    Is there a difference?

15. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $615
    One final observation about the OSU game I forgot to share and didn't see anyone else note. Thompson played over 15 mins with 4 fouls before fouling out late in OT. For a freshman, that is VERY impressive and indicates a high basketball IQ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,844
    BTW DD is doing a great job tonight as the COLOR guy and complimenting the main commentator!

17. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $843
    Gus and Raf are the holy grail of commenters

bumba, Shimmy, DawgsMD and 6 others like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,438
    " The big fella, taken it to the tin."

20. huss587

huss587 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $474
    Not sure how often Reggie Miller calls college games anymore (outside of the Tourney) but I particularly enjoy listening to him color commentate. I seem to learn something new every time I listen to him and he always does his homework on the teams, regardless of who they are.

joliebeth23 and #60 like this.