Phil Knight Invitational Game Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    He gave up a comfortable family type environment for money. There is a price for that. Move on Chris.

2. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Hilarious that he compares himself to Stevens. Nothing alike and Stevens is 100x the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs and UDDawg like this.
  3. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    It all seems pretty simple to me. The Butler community, even if at times gets frustrated or upset with its own, takes care of and loves its own. You can leave the community and still be "one of us." (e.g. Brad, Gordon, Shelvin, Barry, Todd, etc.). You do what Holt did, you aren't "one of us" any longer.

4. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Very good observation. I really like what I’m seeing from him. Shooting is a work-in-process, but Thompson has the grit and smarts to flip the game to Butler’s favor.....much like Alex Barlow and Ron Nored.

NCJon and joliebeth23 like this.
  5. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    People really need to get over Holt leaving. He’s not a saint like Brad, but he’s still part of our community (Heck Thad left after one year and is beloved). His daughter and wife are die hard fans. He loves Butler and left for a better opportunity that pays more. I️ wish he hadn’t have done it and think he handled it poorly but that doesn’t make him a bad guy.

The shade thrown at him is pretty lame and unbecoming of us fans. We’re a program that preaches the Butler way, and we need to represent that in all aspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Holtmann is a good guy who means well and an outstanding coach he made two major mistakes- hone he handled it poorly and two he made a mistake by leaving.

seadawg likes this.
  7. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    I will forever hate Holtmann because of the way he left....no feeling sorry for the guy. If he wanted to take more money and bounce, no problem. Would've I been frustrated initially? Absolutely, but I wouldn't have had any ill will towards the guy. Don't lie and burn bridges on the way out, and expect things to be the same when you meet your old team less than six months later.

That's like ghosting your girlfriend of three years, and then awkwardly seeing her at some singles resort and expecting to hook up with her. Did he think we'd just let it fly by? C'mon now.

dippper61, Tentozen and PSUButlerFan like this.
  8. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,032
    Do you also tell friends with cheating spouses to get over it if their spouse is generally a good person? Seems ludicrous for me to tell anyone else how they should feel about getting cuckolded or, in this case, ramrodded by a coach on the way out the door. There is a difference between getting a divorce and getting a divorce because you have been cheated on. Don't feed me all I want to hear and then let me find out it's all crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

dippper61 and Tentozen like this.
  9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,781
    [​IMG]

johnhardingftw and huss587 like this.
  10. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    I'll get over it when he moves on and stops giving interviews for articles about how hard it was for him to leave and how much he still loves Butler and blah blah blah.

Sorry, but when you tweet that you are staying, change your mind 2 days later and leave, someone in your camp leaks false salary numbers, you talk about wanting Butler to maintain continuity and continue on but say you're willing to take the entire staff even before a new coach is hired, take the top rated recruit in program history (not to mention a preferred walk-on), and get quoted by recruits saying Butler was nice but this is a better all around opportunity all coming off a Sweet 16 run in the month of June right before the live recruiting period, it's not going to be an amicable break. The fact that he continues to try to validate & justify his actions and convince people he's not a bad guy just makes it worse. If he'd just shut up I'd still be annoyed, but not have near the dislike for him that I do currently.

11. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,608
    Noone is really going after his wife or daughter so unsure why they were tossed in there. But, I think we did exactly what you suggested. He had zero ties to butler yet when he came here we treated him like he was one of our own. Not our fault he handled his exit the way he did and burned bridges on his way out.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  12. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $724
    Well actually, I do tell people to get over their divorce or their partner's infidelity. It does a person no good, whether with marriage or basketball coaches, to hold a grudge and let someone else's actions define how you live your life. He's a good coach, and probably a good guy, who we wish would have stayed, and certainly wished would have handled his departure differently, but it's over. Holt is the one who's got to live with the consequences.

13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,994
    Thanks, duh. I should have thought of that. I try to avoid the "Worldwide Leader" whenever I can.

ButlerFan89 and joliebeth23 like this.
  14. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    It is time to move on. I was pissed as anyone when Boltmann left, not that he left, but just tired of this situation popping up every few years. As I have said before
    several times, "if Butler wants to play in the big sandbox, they better bring the right toys." Somehow our fellow conference members do not have this problem,
    Wright at Nova, Mack at X, McDermott at Creighton. Butler has had four coaches since entering the Big East, three trips to the NCAA's with four wins and a Sweet
    Sixteen. Butler needs continuity, not a chaotic coaching situation every few years.

seadawg likes this.
  15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,143
    They only reason we are still talking about this is because the media keeps making it a storyline. Hopefully Chris is now ready to move on and will no longer entertain those questions.

butlerdude05, bmradio99 and jal8908 like this.
  16. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    So he cheated on us by taking another job? Is that our standard bow? Does that mean Barry Lick and Thad are cheaters too? Or is there some difference here because he had second thoughts after deciding to stay?

I️ don’t see us booing Brad Stevens when he left us in a worse position.

I️ was pissed that he left because he is a great coach and had great momentum. But I️ don’t begrudge anyone from taking another job that would set up his family for life at a place you can win championships. If you want to be bitter, you’re better off directing that at Barry for not upgrading facilities and paying what it takes to keep someone here as a destination.

BullDawg2789 likes this.
  17. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    What is this “set his family up for life” nonsense??? As if he wasn’t already at Butler? I’m going to assume Holtmann was making 2M per year. He likely could have been a Butler lifer if he wanted since things were moving in the right direction and he had positioned Butler to be a top half of the BE team for years to come. He also likely had at least a min of 4 more years at Butler (what I mean is if he started losing, before he was fired). So let’s say he had 8M more max coming his way. If he lives on 1M per year (including tax), which is WAY more than enough in Indy (or really anywhere), he would be able to save 4M. If he put that away and into relatively safe investments, say he gets 5% return per year, that’s an additional 200k per year simply by having the money. That’s top 3% of all earners in the US. Plus he has a ridiculous base and that money compounds! And this is all assuming he doesn’t latch on as an assistant elsewhere assuming he is indeed fired.

Yeah, 7 years at 3M is better than 7 at 2M, but let’s not sit here and pretend he wasn’t or isn’t already set for life. And stop using it to rationalize his decision. He wanted more money... fine. But he was fine either way, as was his entire family.

Also, Butler is a place where you can win championships. OSU had one shot 11 years ago. Butler has had two more recently.

NateDog, wazthree and bwesson15 like this.
  18. Mark Shelvin

Money:
    $2,032
    If you don't see how vastly different the manners in which all of our former coaches since Barry left is from Holt, then I don't know how to help you other than to say go reread all the threads at the time of his departure.

19. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    Who cares? He was making a ton of coin, regardless.

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,531
    I realize we were all feeling the "butthurt" but I would fine with not reading about CH and OSU until the next time BU plays them. Hopefully far in the future...