Pierce Thomas - 2021 Guard (Offered)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by BUcheer, May 15, 2018.

1. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    If it’s possible I would let him! All it would do is keep his conditioning at the highest level.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    How many athletes do you know choose two sports and not be successful at both? I can’t remember any really. This kid is a stud

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
  4. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $686
    Wow. This kid is like a young Mike Powell and if he is 6'6"-ish he will be in beast mode the moment he steps on campus. It would be great if the coaches could figure out a way for him to at least do outdoor track assuming we landed him. I agree with an earlier comment that we would not recognize the team with a player like that on it and I'm good with that.

Go Dawgs!

5. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,383
    If he has any interest in continuing his track and field career it probably won't be at Butler.

SpartanDawgs, UDDawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  6. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,643
    We have had track athletes compete in the NCAA National Championships within the last few years, so it isn't too far fetched.

7. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,383
    I was a member of the track and field team for 2 years in the late 2000s. The only members of the track and field team that competed on a national level were the distance runners that also were a part of the cross country team. Our cross country program was/is elite, but everyone else (sprinters, hurdlers, middle distance, field events) kind of sucked, myself included. I'm sure things are a bit better now, but Thomas would still be better served going to a different program if he wanted to seriously compete at the collegiate/world level.

8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Member

Money:
    $102
    I think that's my biggest hesitation with his recruitment. If he is becoming or has the chance to become world-class at an Olympic event, he's not coming to Butler. If he prefers the basketball route - then it's game on.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    It’s an interesting debate for him. I can’t think of a basketball or baseball player that competed as an Olympian in another sport except for Jackie Robinson* (obviously a different era but still amazing), but can think of a handful of football players, most recently Marquise Goodwin of the 49ers.

I would say that it’s not a coincidence that I would think that basketball and baseball are generally more skill dependent than football, especially the receiver position-where all Olympian’s that come to mind play.

What it suggests is that he either has to train for the nba OR for the Olympics. Neither is a guarantee, though his athleticism suggests both or perhaps either is realistic.

For me-that’s not too difficult of a choice, especially since you can still make the Olympics as a basketball player.

*If you’ve watched Band of Brothers on HBO, one of my favorite Jackie Robinson fun facts is that he and Lt. Col Buck Compton (also the lead prosecutor of Sirhan Sirhan in the trial for (Edit:) Bobby Kennedy’s assassination) were baseball teammates at UCLA, where Compton was an All-American catcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    seadawg and UDDawg like this.
  10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
    One of the best shows of all time. It was Bobby’s assassination, not Jack’s, though.

seadawg likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Thanks for the catch (no pun intended). I’ll edit my post.

Ster8462 likes this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Isn’t there a bit of practice conflict between track and b-ball and isn’t it getting exceedingly difficult to excel in two sports at the college level?

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,071
    I can think of a few athletes who excelled in one sport in college and were good in another. Russell Wilson, Julius Peppers, Ricky Williams Jeff Samardzija.

The most recent athletes I can think of who were really good at both are Deion Sanders and Bo Jackson.

Given the season overlap it's hard to imagine pursuing basketball and track past a certain point. It's no coincidence that a lot of those guys I mentioned had a baseball-football split.

14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,663
  15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    Kyler Murray. Drafted 9th overall in baseball and then 1st overall in football.

16. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Active Member

Money:
    $387
    Also: Pat Mahomes, Antwaan Randle El, Michael Vick, Ed Reed (track), Denard Robinson (track), Terrell Owens, Tony Gonzalez, and Donovan McNabb.

17. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,317
    Just to add my 2 cents and show my age does anyone recall Bob Hayes, Renaldo Nehemiah or Willy Gault?

tlp63 and godogs91 like this.
  18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,914
    Dave Debuscherre

19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    He played pro basketball and pro baseball as did Danny Ainge