Pierce Thomas - 2021 Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by BUcheer, May 15, 2018.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,821
    MaxPreps has stats for 19 games this season and 24 games last season.

Last season, per game: 14 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assist, 1 steal, 2TOs on 10.7 FGA per game (4 3PA per game). 51% from 2, 36% from 3, 75% from FT line

This season, per game: 22 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.6 steals, 2 TOs on 17 FGA per game (9 3PA per games). 50% from 2, 38% from 3, 74% free throw line.

bwesson15 and Shimmy like this.
  2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,822
    3.42/9 per game on 3’s then. That’s really, really impressive. Even if he were just billed as a shooter that’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,138
    like someone said from Max Preps...

20-21 Senior Varsity 19 Games 66 3s 174 att 38%
    19-20 Junior Varsity 24 Games 35 3s 98 att 36%
    18-19 Soph Varsity 24 Games 22 3s 72 att 31%
    17-18 Fresh Varsity 25 Games 27 3s 93 att 29%

4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,822
    So I just checked on this, and in college one guy shot over 37% on at least 7.9 threes attempted per game; Darius McGhee of Liberty shot 42.1% on 7.9 3 pt fga per game.

The best from a power conference were Duane Washington of Ohio State at 37.1%, Marcus Sasser of Houston at 34.6%, Aj Lawson of South Carolina at 34.1% and Prentiss Hubb of Notre Dame who shot 33.5% all taking 6.5 per game.

So that’s really, really good.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,821
    Agree. If he weren’t so ridiculously springy, he’d be mostly (and fairly) touted as our next dead eye shooter... 38% at a high volume is rare and difficult.

He can really shoot it.

For context, Sean McDermott’s senior year, he took 7.2 attempts per game and made 2.5 (34%). Now, I know he was battling health issues, and I’m not gonna predict that Pierce is gonna be as good as one of our best few shooters ever, BUT, it does show how impressive it is to shoot 38% at that volume.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  6. estar20dawg

Money:
    $6,138
    For sure, I'm not joking either I'm pretty sure he was above 50% on catch and shoot, or maybe just right at that mark. He won't have to do everything here with Chuck and Tate and Taylor and Hodges and maybe Scooby slashing. He really does project at worst a 3 and D guy

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,821
    Seems he has as high of a floor as we’ve had in a recruit in a while. It’s hard to imagine a good shooter with good size and exceptional athleticism not finding a way to contribute.

8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,407
    A lot of it will come down to how tight he can get his handle, I think. I just remember Khalif not being able to get anywhere, last year, off the bounce, which limited him and surprised me. He was never really able to show his athleticism while he was here and I don't think he shot very well, either, as a result. Not sure how that changed in his first year at Temple, but it has me really watching this aspect of Pierce's game.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. estar20dawg

Money:
    $6,138
    Well the good news is, Thomas literally played PG and had 3 guys on him at all times, Battle in HS had help and played off the ball. Also what will help him, Thomas actually likes and plays defense, Battle in HS had very limited defensive ability and didn't really exert much on that side of the ball. He's also just more physically stronger right now than Battle was as a freshman, he's just a beast and not going to be able to pushed around as much

TheDawgDub95 and znelson15 like this.
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,307
    Well, the college line is nearly 2.5 feet farther back...

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,822
    I mean the obvious counterpoint to what I said (even though I was not insinuating Thomas would be the best shooter in college basketball) is that the defenders are much bigger, faster and better than in high school.

Of course the line is deeper but that hasn’t affected shooting percentages much so I didn’t find a worthy caveat to throw in there, especially since I wasn’t trying to prove any point.

12. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $5,307
    That's definitely a factor, but the increased distance from high school is a big factor. Prior to last season ppl said not a lot of 3FG's are shot from the line, the increased distance will improve spacing leading to more open 3's, a foot deeper is nothing, etc. Well last season, the NCAA moved the line back to its current position and all of college basketball had its worst 3FG% in its history... So fingers crossed, hopefully it doesn't affect him like it hasn't for Chuck

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,822
    Yeah but that was still only 1.1% lower than 2019.

14. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,158
    DT0506_f0f64a10-21f9-41d4-923a-5379b54f65a7.jpg

15. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,268
  16. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $5,307
    Kinda surprising to have such a strong class for the state w only two kids from Indianapolis... the only kid on the team I hadn’t heard of was Sisley. Seems like a good get for Lick and the Aces

17. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,729
    Noticed a lot of them are staying in state...Purdue, notre Dame, and butler all have 2 and Evansville has one. Hopefully we can start keeping the talent in state again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and znelson15 like this.
  18. estar20dawg

Money:
    $6,138
    So Pierce and Jayden definitely still working with Joey and together with Mike Saunders here, but I gotta tell you I'm getting more and more optimistic about these two making a big impact immediately

NCJon, znelson15, #60 and 3 others like this.
  19. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,181
    Agree!! I think they are something special

Really special

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,220
    Thomas did attempt to participate in track and field this season, but has battled a nagging hamstring injury. While qualifying in the 200 meter dash he reinjured the hamstring during the sectional. Thus will not qualify in the long jump and officially ending his HS career.