Post Your Stupid Coronavirus Takes Here

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by bmradio99, Mar 10, 2020.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,888
    He's fine. 72 and barely had a symptom other than a little fatigue. No fever, no loss of any senses, no pain, no coughing etc. Like I said in the past, Satan couldn't kill that man. I just hope I have his genes. Will mean y'all are stuck with me a long time.

2. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,888
    Agreed. You're in a "bubble" kinda, just test daily and test early enough that the results are back an hour or so before opening pitch. It's never going to be perfect but it's not like they do not have the money.

3. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,000
    Yeah it appears it was an inconclusive test and then retested test came back late. I can’t fully understand the outrage to be honest. The guy was amongst them for 7 innings which probably caused more issue with infectivity then him celebrating after. Probably wouldn’t have kissed my wife though

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,752
    So COVID cases are going way up, and the stock market is going down. Weird, huh?

5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,884
    Maybe the stock market should stop fearing the impacts of COVID.

dawgs2014 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  6. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,888
    I was watching some market channels this afternoon and they were saying that it's two fold...the covid uptick like you mentioned and the fact that we are less than a week out from the election and people are fearing uncertainty about what comes next so it's sell sell sell time. I listened to a few different people all with the same take-fear/uncertainty with covid plus that they are assuming Biden wins next week so they are selling. Not a willis opinion. So, no yelling.

Also, the euro markets had a tough day too along with many of those countries now looking at a shut down as their cases rise. That also is driving uncertainty. They said regardless of outcome they doubt we follow suit, but even so with the unsettling though of cases increasing across the world, we're going to continue most likely to see drops.

One guy, I think it was CNBC...he said that the dow kept climbing recently because basically we are procrastanators as humans, but now that people are paying attention to the polls and buying into them, they are running from the market in fear of what Biden will do.

Again, this was all on market shows all over my dial. Not a willis opinion.

7. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $5,884
    PSUButlerFan likes this.
  8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $500
    Ah, so you're the guy keeping Joe Kernen on the air. Most of the CNBC hosts are pretty neutral, but he leans hard to the right.

Markets hate uncertainty. They actually only care about who wins President if they think the same party controls all the legislative branches, which is still unknown at this point. The lock downs in Europe are creating uncertainty, and the rising cases/hospitalizations isn't helping matters here at home. I do agree that there's no way we'll do a lock down no matter how bad it gets (not that we really had one before).

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,486
    Just pointing out the best biz school in the world (Wharton) and the most influential investment bank in the world (Goldman) are saying the markets need a Biden win.

Doesn’t mean the markets aren’t fearing uncertainty related to the election. I’m fearing the impending violence stoked by the orange messiah upon losing myself.

10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,752
    For those of you who posted “well yeah but what should Trump have done differently?!” Wrt to COVID...

How about what Canada did??

9F36A17F-457E-465C-B3E1-305100A71F1C.png

Tentozen likes this.
  11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,068
    Regarding estimates of lives lost from our covid response.

A study compared us to six developed countries. On average, our approach cost 130k lives (these countries included Germany, Canada and four others and looked at deaths per capita). The authors find that deaths mostly could have been saved with a few simple approaches (that these other countries employed): adequate testing (we wholly failed early on and it is still insufficient—remember when trump had that press conference early on with CEO’s of Walmart, target etc about testing in all their parking lots—great idea! But alas no follow through), robust contact tracing programs, and masking policies and messaging. No, these wouldn’t have prevented all deaths but they would have cut a large chunk of needless lives lost.

PSUButlerFan, seadawg and Tentozen like this.
  12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,633
    The tests were simply never available at that time. It was merely lip service. Concerning the stock market, we are seeing Wall St. finally catching up to politics and the economy.

13. Dawgedd

Money:
    $2,068
    In my lifetime, dem presidents have presided over stronger markets than republicans. No, I don’t think this is causal but it certainly refutes your belief that Dems are bad for the market and capitalism and repubs drive the market. The last 25 years suggest that’s not the case.

In addition, it seems like the feeling on Wall Street is that they want a dem trifecta bc it increases chances of stimulus. It’s republican senate and trump that has refused a 2 million stimulus passed for months by the house.

All this is not to say that Biden will be better or worse for the stock market. But it is to say that fear of a tanking stock market under Biden versus trump is completely unfounded.

PSUButlerFan and Tentozen like this.
  14. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,626
    "The new recordings of Kushner's interviews with Woodward for his book "Rage" show in the most intimate detail yet how the President and close aides marginalized government scientists earlier this year in a bid to push economic openings at all cost to help his reelection effort.

In a conversation on April 18, the President's son-in-law told The Washington Post veteran that Trump was "getting the country back from the doctors" and referred to public health officials as if they were adversaries when he talked of a "negotiated settlement" with them.

Comprehensively misreading the situation, Kushner, who had no previous governing experience to match his elevated influence, also said the US was moving swiftly through the "panic phase" and "pain phase" and was at the "beginning of the comeback phase ..."

At the point of the recordings, more than 40,000 Americans had died from the virus. More than 227,000 have now perished, the death toll is rising and hospitals in many states risk becoming overwhelmed."

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,633
    The GDP rate grew 33.1 % in the 3rd quarter but fell 5% and 32.7% in the 1st and 2nd quarters. Increased spending was mainly reflected due to the to stimulus checks.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,888
    What I hate about the stimulus is that much like the virus, it has become 100% political and not what it should be which to me is an agreement that rips apart the toxicity that now is the political temperature of the people in power. They're all acting like children and now that we're close to the election, it'll never pass (at least for awhile) because Pelosi/Mitch/Mnuchin (sp?) have their heels so dug in. The people that run these governing bodies have all forgotten their oaths to serve the people. It's quite sickening.

The question becomes will anything pass after the election and before Biden is sworn in? I'd like to think so with holidays and cases back on the rise. But, my confidence in expecting it is close to nil.

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $500
    I think it's far more likely that if Biden wins, even if there is a desire to get something done in a lame duck period by the House and the Senate (doubtful, regardless of the election results) that Trump would be far more interested in burning everything down around him to make it that much harder for the next President (and America itself) to recover from the Pandemic.

A week ago, Trump put out an executive order that weakens the Pendleton Act, which would then give him greater power to fire Senior federal employees (such as the scientists at the NIH, CDC, FDA, etc.) so that he can install individuals who are more loyal to the President. While Biden could issue an executive order to rescind that on his first day in office, we could be going the better part of 3 months with no real leadership at a time when we'll likely desperately need it. Will it happen? I don't know, but given Trump's historical vitriol for anyone who disagrees with him or makes him look bad, I certainly wouldn't put the chance at zero.

18. Dawgedd

Money:
    $2,068
    It seems like trump and republican just want to suppress voting, which is just incredibly sad and unpatriotic. Instead of running on ideas, it’s just about anti democratic efforts. From New York Times :”facing gap in PA, trump camp tries to make voting harder”

What would you say if you saw this in another country?

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,613
    Sadly, it's not exactly rocket science on how to win this election.

20. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $5,884
    The link if folks want it: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

seadawg likes this.