Post Your Stupid Coronavirus Takes Here

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by bmradio99, Mar 10, 2020.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,310
    Butler has developed a pod system in groupings of 2-6 seats, so they’ve thought through the social distancing part and seat hopping seems really unlikely as it should be pretty obvious. The masking part will be interesting as you literally could be eating/drinking the entire time—unless masking up between sips.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,075
    Yeah I think one reason for my skepticism is that most places have approved 25% outside as probably safe. I’m not expert so I try to stay open minded, but if 25% outside is safe, it seems likely you’d want to stay under 25% inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    Or you could just say you’re eating and drinking and not a wear a mask because you don’t want to, so as good of a plan as they may have, it’s only as good as the populous that it’s applied to, and that populous is the reason we are in this situation.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  4. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,310
    Well, yeah you could just say, you’re eating or drinking—but my guess is there will be a ton of announcements about proper behavior, signage, etc. And I absolutely could see staff monitoring and politely enforcing. Thinking the BU crowd will be a pretty compliant group, so not concerned until I see anything different. Hoping for the best obviously.

TheDawgDub95 and willisbrown like this.
  5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,555
    I have to push back, a little, on this if you are implying the Butler crowd is the "populous" that is responsible for Covid being as bad as it is.

I have many "good" Trump hating Democrat friends that are far less Covid compliant than other Republican friends. Zionsville, Republican leaning, is extremely compliant. I rarely see someone doing something that makes me uncomfortable or shake my head.

Things are not nearly as according to political lines as the media, or some on here, would lead us to believe. I feel very confident Butler fans will be highly considerate of one another and exhibit safe behavior. If not, I will discontinue going.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,790
    I think Butler fans will adhere and be respectful as about any fan base in america, so, 25% capacity doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure why it strikes fear in so many. But we all have our opinions on it. I am planning a January trip up for a game if they are still allowing fans up there. I have no issue with traveling or attending live events but that is definitely the minority opinion around here. I hope those that go have a good experience and that the patrons are staying within the given rules for attending.

To your point about the media and posters on here in regards to the "political" opinion...It's pumped up aplenty by the media and that's not fair. I went and played at a golf tournament at Atlanta Athletic Club Wednesday, and I can promise there wasn't one democrat there. 46 teams of 2 and everyone when they got there were masked up. No hand shaking, all fist bumping mostly. We had a big lunch afterwards and we did it outside...all went fine. It was mostly a 65+ year old crowd...I was prob the youngest one honestly. All rules were followed to a T.

7. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,310
    I really think BU is going to go about this as best as it can be done. With the NCAA here and everything pointing to the tournament being in Indy/Central Indiana this will be a perfect opportunity to showcase having fans in a responsible, safe way. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if NCAA is assisting behind the scenes in some way. Fingers crossed it goes well.

willisbrown likes this.
  8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,613
    It's great that BU can have some limited seating. Marion County has been most fortunate while the rest of rural Indiana is suffering the effects from the pandemic. We can only hope that our luck can continue to hold.

9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,987
    I’d be curious to see the numbers on the athletic department golf outing. I was there, typically one of the younger ones, most 40-50+. But this was July and there was probably 250+ people there, and almost all were respectful of wearing mask around the carts, while grabbing beer, etc. and this was even outside. Family wedding has 10-15+ sick (wife and I didn’t go). Wonder if there was anyone from the golf outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    This is not an unfair pushback, and I think generally I’d agree with all your assertions.

My point, however, remains that when people have been given responsibility to make decisions for themselves it has led to bad things with the virus.

I live in Chicago, which has been mostly EXTREMELY adherent to protocols, and we’re absolutely struggling right now. I simply think that people are more inclined to do what feels right in the moment-especially when alcohol is involved.

It seems to me that allowing some students and some faculty/staff like Notre Dame football does a much better job of letting some people go to games while also protecting people better.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    *eye roll*

PSUButlerFan, Tentozen and NCJon like this.
  12. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,711
    Have friends in suburban Atlanta who told me prior to the election that there were a significant number of Biden/Harris yard signs in their neighborhood and almost no Trump signs. He also said the number of signs should be taken with a grain of salt....that there were still a whole lot of Trump supporters on his street, they were just too embarrassed to admit it. Kind of similar to this thread. Wasn't the genesis of this, if I remember correctly, the cancellation of the 2020 Dance for an illness supposedly no more dangerous or deadly than the common flu? Hence the name "Stupid." I'm too lazy to go back to those early days, but it seems that a lot of those early posters have disappeared. I do remember when Trump drew his line in the sand and said no more than 35,000 were going to die from the virus, and several on this board commented how great it was because so many more die of the flu each year. I mean 35,000 and no more, according to Trump. Haven't seen a lot of those people commenting in recent months. Almost about the same time that Trump quit attending the virus meetings. So are these "former" posters like my buddy's neighbors in Georgia, latent supporters of the undemocratic lying bigot, just too embarrassed to go on record any longer as this issue developed? So, this thread is soon to be locked. Just wanted to say that I have a lot more respect for a guy like Willis, who is almost 100% wrong and misinformed in every single one of his postings, but at least he stayed around and owned it.

#60 and CMG like this.
  13. The Hound

The Hound Member

Money:
    $169
    As a diehard Republican I crossed my fingers in 2016 and hoped for the best with Trump compared to the alternative. Over the past four years we’ve watched his trail of destruction and his attempt to turn my party into his personal ego cheerleading section. He thrives in chaos and belittlement of anything and anyone who disagrees with him. The Republican Party must shun Trump and his followers and regain its’ footing. If it doesn’t, it deserves to burn away into history’s furnace of political failure. I’ve stayed away because three to four on this thread chose to dominate and ideologically monitor the discussion. Any conservative thought was attacked as being pro Trump. Locking the thread provides us with an opportunity to move on and get back to what unites us. It’s going to be a weird, fun, winter ride with this team. Let’s not get too frustrated with the ups and downs. The future is bright!

troggy, BoyGeoff, willisbrown and 7 others like this.
  14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,697
    Yeah have to agree here. I have quite a few liberal friends who are not taking the precautions they should. While I obviously have argued that the response on the political level (read: leaders/lawmakers) has been good on the left and a disaster on the right, at the individual level, it is way more nuanced, and I have been pretty disappointed to see all my friends and acquaintances on the left not doing what they should be doing. Ugh. Come on, ppl!

NCJon likes this.
  15. seadawg

Money:
    $7,613
    Indiana cases surged to over 8,800 today. We can lock this thread, but the fact is covid-19 will continue to roll across the countryside for the foreseeable future .

Tentozen and NCJon like this.
  16. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,310
    Seadawg—where are you getting your numbers? The IN dashboard shows 6,255 for today as far as I can tell.

17. seadawg

Money:
    $7,613
    To address the Willis comment: I think much of the fear is from the unknown. Not only the threat of dying, but the lingering and in some cases permanent damage to one's body. There is broad spectrum of side effects from skin rash to teeth and hair falling out. Others are less fortunate with organ failures like the heart, lungs and kidneys. Not only was I reluctant to mention having the virus, but I too have a long term side effect that so far has not subsided. I developed neuropathy in certain areas of my right leg from the knee down. I am not diabetic. Early on I noticed a slight puffiness just above the outside of my ankle. My family doctor is not sure since still we are learning how the virus can effect certain parts of the anatomy. It does in no way have an adverse in motor control thus far and has not grown any worse, but I know it's there. There seems to be little rhyme or reason as to who may be susceptible other than the older folks among us.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:59 PM
    troggy, BoyGeoff and PSUButlerFan like this.
  18. seadawg

Money:
    $7,613
    "Coronavirus updates" is a accurate site that uses CDC and WHO statistics

BoyGeoff likes this.
  19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    The problem with Willis’ comment, and we’ve explained it many times, is that some people’s preference for no fans is not a reflection of fear, but a desire to prioritize public health.

Tentozen likes this.
  20. seadawg

Money:
    $7,613
    I don't see a huge problem with BU having limited fans if protocols are strictly followed, but this is a very fluid situation at this point. Since I have experienced the virus first hand I can say in all honesty no one should desire to contract it. Hell, I was not scared because I had no idea what I had. It floored me in 1 day and after 4 days I went to the hospital emergency. I could not concentrate to even drive a short distance. That was back in early March. To not know if we can get this again was enough for me at age 66 to exchange my season tickets for credit and another donation, but to each is own.

troggy and Tentozen like this.