Post Your Stupid Coronavirus Takes Here

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by bmradio99, Mar 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,904
    Secret Service has issued a specific bulletin on the Boogaloo Boys. Who BTW are "white supremacists".

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,518
    Eh? Your typical trump voter is like a factory worker. Not demeaning that work, but it doesn’t pay what most of us on this thread make...

3. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $14,518
    Annnnnd with that, Donald Trump has just been impeached again.

I’ve got to give it to him... he is the only person in the history of the world to twice be impeached as the United States President. Impressive accomplishment there, Donnie.

Let’s hope the senate does its job this time, although I have my doubts.

4. seadawg

Money:
    $7,904
    WAPO is reporting Pence was literally seconds away from harm.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $769
    Yeah. Scary stuff. As more and more comes out on the attacks, I think the case will be really strong for conviction of Trump on the 2nd impeachment trial (I've seen at least a couple of the rioters using Trump's invitation as their own legal defense), but the question as always comes down to whether Republicans have the stomach to do what is right rather than what is convenient.

Also learning a lot about reconciliation bills in the Senate with the new Biden stimulus plan proposed last night. Really hopeful they can get 60 members on board to support it, but if not, I do think it's that important to use the one reconciliation bill they are allowed on spending on this. Don't think they should nuke the filibuster. I don't care who's in power, it sets a bad precedent to have no checks in place for the majority party.

I would like to see some changes too in order to prevent one party from preventing the other bringing any bills to the floor for a vote. Should be set at a certain number for bills that have unanimous support by the minority party.

6. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $14,518
    100% agree on your last point. If the house passes a Bill, there should be a 30-day Grace period before the senate HAS to bring it to debate and then vote. I don’t care who is in charge. McConnell just lets every bill die, and then their dumb voters don’t know or remember, instead of requiring his senators to go on record to vote to screw them. Enough is enough.

If R’s take the house and pass a bill that requires all of us to wear an AK-47 any time we go in public, then I don’t want Majority Leader Schumer to just block it. Bring it to a vote.

We could make so much more progress in our lives.

This is something Willis and UDdawg and BUCheer should all agree with (singling them out bc they generally will disagree with me on matters of policy).

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,482
    I have no issues with any measures taken to get members of congress to actually do more of their jobs.

DawgsMD and dawgs2014 like this.
  8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,684
    Yep. Anything that can stop what is always non movement, bills going to die I am for. There's a reason senate and the house have such publicly low approval ratings...what they do doesn't work for the public and the public put them there and pay them to do a job. A good job at that. And damn near 100% that isn't the case. So I'm definitely for anything that brings real conversation/debate and allows each party to state what they need to. So tired with the straight party votes. It's blind.

UDDawg likes this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $14,518
    Hey hey hey... some common ground :)

BUcheer and UDDawg like this.
  10. seadawg

Money:
    $7,904
    With one exception. We need a coordinated national plan to roll out the vaccines. It would require budgeting to do that and should happen ASAP. Biden has than plan in the works.

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,478
    I hear what you're saying, and I'm not trying to be provocative, but unfortunately you can't have one without the other. You either have a filibuster (aka a way for one party to prevent the other from bringing a bill to the floor) or you don't. I suppose you could say something like the filibuster can only be used 3 times per session or something like that to prevent abuse, but then Senators would bring a copycat bill to the floor immediately afterwards.

One historical note is that the filibuster's weaponization is very recent. It's was only really popularized in the Civil Rights era to stop Civil Rights bills, but it's accelerated now.

I don't have a strong take on nuking the filibuster -- I understand why folks want to be able to keep the majority party from doing what ever they way. You want a check on power within the Senate. I think a counterargument that folks would have is that the checks in place for the majority party without a filibuster is elections. You could also say that without the filibuster, there is no excuse to not vote on things. Senators would actually have to "work." You couldn't just stop a bill on the minimum wage or border security or Medicare from being called for a votes. Senators would be forced to make choices and then go back to their constituents and explain their votes. Right now, they don't have to take stands very often because polarizing bills never come up for a vote in the first place.

For example, if a party passes some super unpopular bill by purely partisan means because the filibuster was gone, then the voters would have to be informed and say "you clearly don't represent my interests" are remove them. I think we all agree that we're past that as a country, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.