Post Your Stupid Coronavirus Takes Here

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by bmradio99, Mar 10, 2020.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,968
    Please, please explain how this is “quite a leap in logic.”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,237
    It is legitimate for you to offer your opinion, as you have, about the illegitimacy of Fox News as an unbiased or truthful source, and you may support those opinions with such facts as you think are helpful to your case. (I note, though, that the "support" you provide for the illegitimacy opinion comprises solely additional opinions rather than facts.) But the fact that Trump thinks Fox News is not helping Republicans, or even the implication that he thinks Fox ought to be helping Republicans, has no bearing on whether Fox News is, in fact, a legitimate news source. I strongly suspect that there are quite a few liberals who believe that CNN or MSNBC or The New York Times ought to be helping Democrats, but their opinions have no bearing on the legitimacy of those news organizations . . . unless, of course, those liberals also happen to be executives of one of those organizations.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Dunhamfor3, Insane Dawg and UDDawg like this.
  3. Albick

Money:
    $1,237
    The fact that Trump thinks that Fox News is not helping Republicans, or even, the implication (if you believe it to be present) that Trump believes Fox ought to help Republicans, has no bearing one way or the other whether Fox News is a legitimate news organization. You may believe that Fox News is illegitimate, but Trump's statement in no way supports or disproves that opinion. It simply has no bearing on it. The same would be true if a liberal believed that MSNBC or CNN or The New York Times ought to be helping Democrats. Their belief in no way impugns the legitimacy of those news organizations unless those liberals are executives of one of those organizations in a position to direct their news coverage.

Dunhamfor3 and Insane Dawg like this.
  4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,968
    Trumps tweet clearly construes an expectation that he has that Fox News will assist the Republican Party. A legitimate news source should be impartial, right? Why would Trump a expect a specific source to assist him if it were impartial?

It is plausible that the reality is that Trump has had a misunderstanding, but what would have caused him to have such a misunderstanding?

There are certainly ways that it is *possible* that this is not true as you’re right that his statement has no causality. It is asinine, however, to suggest that it’s a logical leap to assume what was stated originally.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    PSUButlerFan likes this.
  5. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $159
    Trump? Misunderstanding? It follows.

6. Albick

Money:
    $1,237
    "What was stated originally" was, essentially, Trump tweeted that Fox News wasn't helping Republicans; therefore, that proves that Fox News never was a legitimate news outlet. Even if you read into Trump's tweet an implication, "what was stated originally" was, essentially, Trump expected Fox News to help Republicans; therefore, Fox News never was a legitimate news outlet. PSU has since modified that to limit Fox News's illegitimacy to more recent times. So, with this modification, "what was stated originally" was, essentially, Trump expects Fox News to help Republicans; therefore, Fox News is not a legitimate news outlet. The fact that Trump expects Fox News to act a certain way provides no support whatever for the assertion that it, in fact, acts that way. Similarly, if, say, Nancy Pelosi said she expects MSNBC to support Democrats, that statement would not provide support for an assertion that MSNBC views its role as to support Democrats. I'm not arguing the legitimacy or illegitimacy of either Fox News or MSNBC; I'm merely asserting that the statement that was put forth as proof for the stated conclusion did not logically prove that conclusion. Therefore, the assertion was a leap in logic.

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,727

Suck it.

Dunhamfor3 likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    You still haven’t addressed the fact that Georgia put out a chart to mislead people into thinking cases were declining.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    Yeah, I’ll concede this. He’s right. Just because Trump is whining that Fox isn’t helping him... and even if he said “Fox is helping me”, it doesn’t actually mean that Fox is biased to helping. That’s fair.

That said, you only have to watch Fox for all of two minutes to see the biased content they put out or the lack of coverage on negative Trump things, etc., to see that they are incredibly illegitimate as a news network. It’s what Roger Ailes wanted.

So while Albick is right here, we’re sort of splitting hairs, and the fact that Trump even thinks they are supposed to be helping him comes from a place of other Republicans who no doubt have been helped by their lies, misleading stories, and biased coverage.

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,727
    How do you know what you saw wasn't manufactured? It fit your agenda, so, cnn says it's so and people run with it. Maybe it was, maybe not. Maybe it was a mistake? Hell I don't care but what I do know is my state is getting better and we're firing away. Maybe us dumb red necks will be ok?

Keep wearing your mask though.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    Assuming the number of cases are actually falling (I don’t know), what do you attribute it to, Willis?

Do you think It is because re-opening hasn’t increased contacts because people are acting responsibly and still mostly distancing despite the “reopening”? Do you think the weather is playing a big roll? Is the mass consciousness of hand washing/masks/sanitizer doing it? Have many more people already gotten immunity in GA than other places? Do you think the case numbers from April were just wrong?

I’m not being facetious. I’m really curious what you think is the cause (again, assuming the premise is true, which, given it’s a tweet from the biggest tool on the planet, I’m suspicious as a reaction, but I don’t feel like digging right now).

Tentozen and PSUButlerFan like this.
  12. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,963
    I mean, Kemp apologize and said they shouldn’t have released it because it was misleading. So there’s not really any maybes here.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,963
    Also, it’s sad that the idea of wearing or not wearing a mask is political. Don’t know what else to say. It’s sad, man. Health care workers want folks to wear them, they’re slowing spread, and the majority of the public supports it.

It’s an easy thing you can do that saves lives. I hope you wear a mask too, Willis. For your safety and the safety of people around you.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/21/21266413/coronavirus-face-masks-trump-cdc-n95

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BUcheer likes this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $8,727
    The weather here has actually been cooler than normal. So not that. The golf courses have been full all day every day. The gyms are rolling and restaurants are working at 50-75%. Parks are open...I mean I don't know. I'm no smart scientist type. But the numbers are what they are. Kemp reopened the state and the numbers have not spiked. Shrug. I've played golf a ton and gone to dinner aplenty. It just is...my guess is the thing is simply running its course and running out of steam down here. Bama is the same. MS looking a little better. As far as ATL, almost all restaurants are open at at least 50% and people are just doing normal. Lot of people still in masks at the grocery or drug store, but, all else is nornal. Dinner parties, cook outs and bar hopping. It just is.

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    It. Was. Literally. From. The. Georgia. State. Website. You. ****ing. Moron.

16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    So about Alabama... You must have to try to be this dense and thick-headed... if it wasn’t so dangerous to others, I’d actually be fascinated to understand how someone could turn out like you.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/mont...recent-spike-in-coronavirus-patients/32619038

Tentozen likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,989
    But again, if all that’s the case, why do you think it’s happening? I assume you don’t think it is magic, right?

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

estar20dawg likes this.
  18. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,968
    Let me offer a different situation. George Washington’s father walks outside and finds a cherry tree chopped down, and his son George holding an axe. He accuses his son George of cutting it down. Now, did he have any proof that George cut it down? No. Does George holding the axe over the cut down tree have any bearing on whether or not he actually used that axe to cut down the tree? No. But what he did have is a set of circumstances that led him to correctly assume, despite lack of probable evidence, that his son chopped down that tree. That was not at all a logical leap by his father, but by your standards it would be.

Fox is an illegitimate news source is present tense, therefore inherently specifies that it is talking about right now.

I really don’t understand why that should be a challenge for you, nor I understand the relevance of the history of the channel.

You are correct that Trump having an assumption of a behavior does not have any definite bearing on whether they actually act in that way. The make a logical conclusion, however, you do not need the evidence to be definitive. In fact, definitive evidence is *not* a logical conclusion at all, but instead a factual conclusion.

In order to dispute the reasonableness of the logical conclusion, a more likely explanation as to why Trump has that expectation has to exist, or there has to be no connection between the assumption and the cause for said assumption. We have neither a more likely explanation, nor any probable cause to dispute that the expectation of future behavior is predicated on past behavior as the network embraces its right leaning biases.

Your thesis, that the assumption does not impact the behavior, while true, does not possess any substance that effectively disputes the claim.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  19. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,045
    Remember willis, be sure and take a pause after each sentence! Those periods are there for a reason!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgsMD likes this.
  20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,968
    Anyone who doesn’t wear a mask so that they can name a political statement has the reasoning skills of a toddler.