Providence Friars (5-2, 1-0) vs. Butler Bulldogs (1-3, 0-1), Wednesday, 12/23, 6:00 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Dec 22, 2020.

1. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,480
    Think we're going to get better and better as the season goes on, but will have some boneheaded young guy stuff at times... Future is bright!

joliebeth23, jeff and NCJon like this.
  2. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,414
    But I’d say Harris is right there as well, so it’s a good problem to have

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,909
    Playing zone with MW out front was a nice in game adjustment, especially considering the Friars are not a great perimeter shooting team. That's the most zone BU has used in recent memory. It was the key to the game IMHO. There will be more opportunities to deploy it as the season progresses. Other improvements of note was ball movement on offense and finding the open man. Enjoy the holiday and cheers to all...

SnoopDawg, troggy, huss587 and 2 others like this.
  4. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,414
    Wasn’t able to watch the game as I worked late at the brewery and had to get some last minute Santa surprises

Looks like coles was a beast and wilmoth had his beast game yet ??

He played 22 minutes (lavall loves that defense which I have seen)

Seems like it was a great team effort and win.

Guessing the turnovers where finally lower as well??

Merry Christmas everyone

And merry Christmas to these freshman

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

troggy, 2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,609
    Answers my question after SIU: Can Vall keep them in a fighting mood?

Two random observations: Providence acted like they were in a dunk contest in warmups and the last kid hung on the rim a bit too long for my liking. And Emerson’s too as he was clearly watching. Bad juju.

AT is constantly chattering with the coaches—it’s like he’s on staff. So great to see.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,657
    We’ve had a lot of players with potential coaching talent come through in the last 10-15 years, but he’s the most promising since Nored. I hope he *is* on staff somewhere down the line.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

troggy, huss587, joliebeth23 and 4 others like this.
  7. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,279
    Just finished watching after recording because 2 kids were home for dinner. The future is very promising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,688
    Took it in mostly at the bar...well the second half. I need to go rewatch the whole thing but from what I saw we were active and energized and straight up rolling. The freshmen seemed to be playing well and with confidence. What an absolute huge win. Providence isn't great, but...still a nice W to get under the belts. Now these pups can believe and know they can win in the big east. Christmas is about believing in the spirit...now we have that. Let's take this momentum, get AT back and roll some ish heads.

Great Xmas gift for us all and especially the players. Been a biitch for them but they got a W. Very proud to be a bulldog tonight. Many more to come for these dudes.

9. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    Wrong again!

DawgsMD likes this.
  10. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    Wrong again!!

DawgsMD and PSUButlerFan like this.
  11. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,688
    Don't worry, I don't bet on Butler games unless the fade is secure...like against Nova or at Creighton. I was just giving advice. I thankfully stayed away.

I did hammer Nova though and they looked the part as usual. Roll on them and you'll win more than you lose. Happy hunting and Feliz Navidad.

2xDawg and GodawgsXsucks like this.
  12. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    Actually, Lappas was better than usual.

2xDawg, BoyGeoff and PSUButlerFan like this.
  13. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    Look, when someone says stupid things, that they could answer themself, they don’t get to be upset if they get treated like they said something stupid.

Asking if one our players is essentially displaying gang affiliation is a VERY stupid insinuation.

Blue (the color) is also also associated with some very prominent gangs. Do you think our shooting shirts are associated with gangs?!?!?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  14. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    And if they had Thompson they would be 4&1.

15. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    And Tate and Wilmoth are not far behind.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    Let’s not forget that Aaron Thompson started almost every game and was the primary ball handler for a team that very nearly made the sweet 16 and does have our only Big East tourney win.

Andrew Chrabascz was also excellent. (Though he may fall outside of the time range established by the post)

joliebeth23 and estar20dawg like this.
  17. Tentozen

Money:
    $1,279
    Someone a couple of threads ago said they hated the 3-2 zone, but Wilmoth on top in a 1/2/2 might work, I swear, and it worked tonight for the most part, so step up and take credit.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,688
    It's effective in spurts for sure. Ole Miss does it here and there but never really consistently...just to take a bite out of the other team's rhythm. And when you have a rangy and rather quick forward to run the head of it, it can be really effective. I've been begging Butler to run this here and there for years. Either a 1-2-2 or a 1-3-1 then sag back into a 2-3 or 3-2. Now with Wilmoth we have that type of length+athleticism to F around with teams and give them a wrinkle. It's fun to implement it when you have the bodies to do so.

BoyGeoff and bu1973 like this.
  19. bu1973

bu1973 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $796
    That game was a really nice Christmas present. I asked my wife whether it was possible Providence could shoot as badly in the second half as they did in the first. I guess the answer is a hard, YES. Tate is showing good floor vision. He stripped Providence players four times I think and had some terrific assists. We really need to develop some sets so Bolden can get free. The 3-2 worked against a team that can't shoot but doing it against say Creighton would be suicide, even with Wilmoth at the top. All four freshmen seem fearless, and as ready to contribute as about any Butler freshmen I have seen in the last 15 years. The others that come to mind would rank among Butler's all-time best. They also appear to be the best free throw shooters on the team. If Scooby Johnson is arguably the best in the class, we have a lot to look forward to. 5 years of these guys, tight? Merry Christmas!

Shimmy, huss587, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,688
    Vodka induced post time...buyer beware.

I was watching the game and then the highlight reel that was posted on the twitterzzzzzz and I got to thinking...techinically it's xmas eve. Which means we have 7 or so days left of what is/was 2020. This year has been impossible. On so many of us personally, on many of us professionally, on our families physical and mental health, and certainly on these players and coaches. It's the nightmare that won't end. From that Thursday early afternoon in March when they cancelled the big east tourney up until damn near now it's been one damn long day. And a shiitey one at that. But here we are. We're here. The kids are here. We went through it and they went through it. And it sucked. Big time mule wenis, sucked. But dammit, in about...22 or so hours Santa gonna stop by the crib and leave me some fun stuff. Unless I die in my sleep (I may, I ate a grease bomb dinner) we made it to Christmas.

That means hope. And although I do not believe we will be world beaters this season and there will be many speed bumps...tonight showed us why "hope" is a thing. Those were pups out there growing up and competing at the big east level. They showed flashes of things to lean and believe on as we all start what hopefully is a better, stronger and more positive journey this Christmas and in 2021. The kids are special. Scooby will only add more special to this group. For a night we got a glimpse of what can be. And as we kiss our loved ones (well, I guess not) and tuck our kids in (y'all, not me)...it's a nice little something to dream on as we wrap up what I can almost promise we all feel was one of the worst years we've had to stare down. But we did. And the pups did. And much like everything for many moons, Butler Basketball ain't going anywhere. The future is bright...very, very bright.

My life was turned on its head this past year. Some good, mostly crappy. And I'm sure most of your lives were too. But we take these dudes for granted. 18, 19, 20 year old numb skulls dealing with this. Having what should be the best years of their lives taken from them because of some stupid virus. Imagine the sacrifices they have made to go out there, undermanned I mind you, and put on a show like tonight. It's a special thing. Life bites us, but bulldogs bite back. Damn near brought a tear to my eye watching tonight.

God's blessings to you all as we celebrate these next couple of days. Stay safe, stay strong and remember, we're bulldogs dammit.

WAJC77, shoeevv, bwesson15 and 17 others like this.