Providence Friars (5-2, 1-0) vs. Butler Bulldogs (1-3, 0-1), Wednesday, 12/23, 6:00 PM EST (CBSSN)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ButlerNut, Dec 22, 2020.

1. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $858
    Clang, Clang, Clang went the Providence Trolley!
    Great to see Golden and Nze banging inside again. The 4 Freshmen are playing above any expectations I had for this year. Some speed bumps ahead but this team works hard! Well done Dawgs!
    Only criticism is with the legal team of Golden, Bolden and Nze going 4/12 from the "Free Throw" line. Fatigue? Lack of focus? I'm suing!
    Meanwhile Tate and Coles went 9/11 (thank you freshman!)
    Merry Christmas! Let's get em again in Providence!

ISUgradBUTLERfan and tyrin101 like this.
  2. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $712
    Well said Willis. Merry Christmas.

3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,531
    - That was a very good bounce-back win.
    - This freshmen class is special
    - How about that full court pass from Tate?!
    - It’s spelled Wilmoth... not Wilmouth. And he’s exceeded my expectations for where he’d be this season.
    - Golden and Nze are returning the form
    - It’s nice to finally beat Providence
    - Our FT shooting is going to drive me crazy

4. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,928
    Last night was as good as I’ve felt about Butler basketball since Kamar’s game winner @ X last March.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $910
    There is no irrelevant. This was an important win for these young guys.

Shimmy, godogs91, Sidd Finch and 3 others like this.
  6. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $910
    These kids are fantastic. Tate was phenomenal, last night.

willisbrown likes this.
  7. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Well-Known Member

Money:
    $400
    One really good thing about the freshmen getting meaningful PT and playing well is we can assume they’re reasonably happy in the program. With five talented guys coming in, you worry at least one is going to sit and start thinking transfer.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  8. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,150
    With the way things are playing out I think it would be more like a transfer was not a freshman. However I don’t see the same body language out of say Mulloy as we did with Brunk and Battle

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,689
    There is a power in winning. All of these dudes are used to it. And once it's taken from you (you add losing plus the virus issues plus the injuries) it's going to be hard to respond and at best case interesting to see how someone like Tate, a four time champion in HS, bounces back night by night. You could see the "want" but we didn't see the "can"...last night the "can" happened. Watch out when AT returns. Now these puppies know how to win.

troggy likes this.
  10. GodawgsXsucks

GodawgsXsucks Member

Money:
    $147
    I kinda like the fact that we play providence again in our next game. Especially after winning the first matchup makes game planning a lot easier and everything is fresh in memory. I like our chances next Wednesday

11. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $910
    This board will be a bevy of negativity again, the minute anything goes wrong next Wednesday.

bwesson15, #60, 2xDawg and 3 others like this.
  12. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,917
    Wasn't able to get the takeaways done in my limited time last night+this morning amidst the holiday craziness (lots of zoom calls lmao). Most of the piece is done but those darn freshmen had me writing so many words about their play! Will have it up tonight at some point and due to the lateness of my posting, it will be free to read right away. Thank you all for your patience with me lately and the kind words on my work.

Good win and happy holidays.

ButlerAlumDad716, 2xDawg and troggy like this.
  13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,917
    REVERSE REVERSE!

Shoutout to my fiance for letting me take 10 extra minutes before leaving for her family to mostly finish the piece. I still have to add my Hark's Bark at the end (which will be done later tonight) and I didn't edit it at all (whoops) but here is the majority of the piece published and free to read.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/45399750

14. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,150
    Yeah I was behind by about twenty minutes watching real time. But was following live updates score and the message board and you would’ve thought we were down 20 based on the board

Tentozen, DawgPoundMac and 2xDawg like this.
  15. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $910
    A couple of things:

After leading by one at the half, Butler never trailed in the 2nd half. In fact, I think that Providence only tied the game on one occasion.

Butler had at least four lay-ups in the 2nd half as a result of cuts to the basket. The Tate feed to Harris on the baseline cut early in the half was beautiful. I also really enjoyed the Hastings pass to Wilmoth.

In the last two games, the freshmen are 16/18 from the line. Everyone else is 10/22.

Sidd Finch, PSUButlerFan, #60 and 2 others like this.
  16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,689
    Something I've noticed...Tate and Harris have zero fear. They will take that rock to the hoop no matter who is there. Now, with that comes some head scratching and curious decision making but, I'd rather they be relentless than afraid. Those two seemingly don't give an F...and I love it.

2xDawg, znelson15 and troggy like this.
  17. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,681
    The cutting was excellent. I noticed that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

joliebeth23 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $769
    Tate I question more times than I do Harris. I remember at least one steal against IU where he went up against Trayce Jackson-Davis and one other IU player and then he had another one last night against Providence that I just chuckled and shook my head.

Having said that, Tate was really comfortable in the offense last night and while I expect bumps along the way, I'm grateful to have 2 guys who are comfortable running the point or playing the off-guard. If the defense can come along (part of last night was Providence missing shots), then my confidence in the future will just go that much higher. I love Harris' willingness to be physical on both offense and defense, though he obviously needs to learn to reign it in to avoid foul trouble.

Coles was a stud last night honestly for just hitting his free throws. Outside of him and Tate going 9-11, the rest of the team was 4-12 from the line, which is just absurdly bad. He still reminds me a bit of Chrabascz, though I think he's more physical.

Wilmoth continues to impress me with his defensive versatility. Still needs more strength if he's going to be expected to be on the block at all, but I am more than fine with him guarding on the perimeter. He's got the highest ceiling of the bunch, IMO, and his floor is already far higher than what I was expecting. Just hope he continues to develop.

This doesn't even include Scooby, who probably had the highest expectations before his injury. Hope he recovers well, because having 4, let alone 5 guys who appear to be as ready as this group does is not the norm at Butler.

19. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,518
    My only concern is that Providence won't be surprised by the zone with Wilmoth on top.

Tentozen likes this.
  20. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,728
    Contrary to many, I feel that we survived being in the zone as it was done out of necessity due to the foul trouble of, primarily, Tate and Harris. Had they both fouled out, we would have been in trouble!

The ball got to the Big East logo beneath the foul line at will. Thankfully, we kept scoring and Providence just dumbly went away from exploiting us and shot poorly from the outside.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and 2xDawg like this.