Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,381
    It is a Burly, 2017 Cab. I looked it up and places that sell it are doing so around 75-80 mostly. So wine guy was off a little. Still, not a bad return.

2. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,875
    I have not had it before, but it is hard to keep up with all the vineyards that continuously pop up -- especially in California. Is your bottle the Simpkins Vineyard or the Special Selection?I read the tasting notes and it sounds good with either.

3. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,381
    Simpkins Vineyards. Cali.

4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,330
    Trying to buy a house is futile right now unless you have 700k cash. It’s insane. I have a friend with a 600k conventional loan and they gave up. West coast techies are flooding Carmel right now according to our realtors’ experience, selling in Silicon Valley, bringing full cash offers up to a million for homes that sold for 350-400k just a couple years ago. We will continue to look, but just a warning out there to anyone looking to move to Carmel. Other suburbs and the far north side (Nora) are not nearly as hot.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,286
    It’s the exact same in Salt Lake City and Reno. And the Chicago suburbs.

100k above asking. Sight unseen. Waive inspections.

Luckily some things in Utah are dropping, but good houses are still 650k-1M.

Your point about SF is correct. A friend of mine bought a 3.5M house that’s literally on the mountain at Deer Valley in under 7 hours from discovery to close (found it at 10am, signed just before 5pm). Paid cash. They have the money, but prob 2M of that was selling their place in the Bay Area.

6. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,381
    You'll see the market slow up a little during the "off" months according to data we're getting/expert information...which, I hope that's true because it helps my buyers (they are more the 250K-400K buyers) and the market here north of ATL is like the markets y'all are describing. Just crazy prices. Same with Highlands, NC...3/3 condos in our neighborhood are going for over a mil...and they are far from the nicest places to buy up there. Just wild.

I think you'll see less buyers come the holidays (buyers like y'all are referencing) and a more "even" playing field for middle bracket buyers. Sales will still be higher than expected (price wise) but I am being told competition will be less. Which for us is great. We are having zero issue getting buyers approved for loans and the down payment grant...they just can't run with the half mil to mil cash buyers. And they don't want to buy in the city. They all want northern burbs to get away from the city and send their kids to good schools.

7. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,330
    It's just down right insane. There is a big home value bubble...not sure what to make of it, so we are playing it careful and making sure anything we offer on will hold at least 90% of its value if that bubble bursts. Otherwise, our current home was built by us and is great - just not the neighborhood we would like. New builds just don't have an identity. If my son was neurotypical, we would have many more options. I'm down to making phone calls to local school corporations to discuss my son's abilities and trying to pair it down to school corps other than Carmel. It's just very unlikely to happen for us there at this point. We're not willing to risk our retirement on overpaying for a home - I'd rather have travel money and give my son all the fun stuff he wants. My wife and I are the same page - don't be home rich and cash poor.

willisbrown likes this.
  8. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $384
    *cough* My family has a house up for sale on the very edge of Indy and Brownsburg/Clermont. *cough*. My mother is very impatient about it selling.

willisbrown likes this.
  9. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,330
    56th & Raceway?

10. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $384
    Indeed

11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    We got incredibly lucky last month and caught wind from my coworker of her friend prepping their house to sell in a neighborhood off Raceway just north of Washington and got in for 220 before it went on the market.

They’re a military family whose husband had been transferred and was already living in the new location, so they (perhaps shortsightedly) didn’t want to take the time for showings and things of that nature. They almost surely would have gotten more than 220 on the open market.

It may turn into our “forever” home, but I’m also already thinking about the profit we could make on it if all goes well.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  12. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $384
    Our "old house", though slightly dated, I still consider nice. The main issue people kept complaining at us about was that the kitchen wasn't large enough. Someone said that the ceiling was too small there, but my 6' 8" cousin had no issues walking around in it for thirty years. Was Myles Turner looking at it?

13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,543
    Some of the numbers you guys are discussing are crazy. House we bought 7 years ago in suburban Cinci for $80k was a bank foreclosure that they put some money in - new drywall, paint, etc. Required some work and not in greatest school district but we’re doing private. Crazy it’s worth 200k with neighborhood comps now. We’d love to upgrade to nicer area closer to my practice but can’t justify the whole sight unseen 100k over what it was bought for 2 years ago pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

butlerguy03 and bumba like this.
  14. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,330
    If it’s in Hendricks County, at least investigate it.

If this is the one in Pike, it’s on my list; commute to Fishers/Carmel is a concern; and I have a call and email out to Pike schools to discuss my son’s options as a special needs kid.

UDDawg likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,436
    Agree, we bought a foreclosure as well for $110k a little over a decade ago and it's estimated at $200k+ now. One of the better (or luckier) decisions I've made that we were unsure of at the time. Also, quick shout out to the retired wealthy couple next door who put in an inground pool due to COVID and drove up everyone's value on our street.

PSUButlerFan, DawgsMD and butlerguy03 like this.
  16. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,386
    My in-laws were trying to talk my daughter in to buying a house this weekend. Their argument was – “Mortgage rates are SOOO LOW!!” My daughter’s reply - “Yeah, but prices are SOOO HIGH!!”

UD – I grew up in the “Old Bradford” house on Bradford Road between what is now AllPoints and Reagan Pkwy. Most everything from Bridgeport Road to 900E and 40 to the railroad tracks were farms owned by 2-3 families and Hobbs Nursery. To say I do not recognize that area is an understatement.

butlerguy03 and UDDawg like this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    Oh, we’re already in! Moved about a month ago.

butlerguy03 likes this.
  18. butlerguy03

Money:
    $2,330
    Knob & UD - we currently live on the west side of Plainfield; but I grew up just north of Bridgeport off Morris. Small world.

My mom still lives there; should’ve sold when United came through and tried to buy up the neighborhood. It’ll never be worth those prices again!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    UDDawg likes this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    We’re in the Bentwood neighborhood, which is quite a unique pocket. Indy address (but Hendricks county, as we were assured), some Plainfield utilities (including resident rate to the aquatics center, and Avon school district.

20. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $542
    Live in a 2,000+ residential community and 11 homes are active on local MLS.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops