Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,795
    Would be interested in hearing what you think. I really like my directv package. It would be preposterously expensive if it weren’t subsidized by my hoa, but given that it is-I have everything I could imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $945
    Have no idea what your set up is down there....but we said goodbye to cable, satellite years ago. We have AT&T fiber. Lucky to live in a 'hood that is wired for fiber. We get 1KMB service....and its been wonderful. I know AT&T has proven to be less than ideal for many...but I think the fiber makes all the difference on reliability and performance. For TV I have had youtubetv since almost their launch. Wouldn't go any other way. 65 bucks a month gets over 100 channels and includes every sports net that matters. Unlimited storage of your selected content in the cloud for 9 months. Record all Dawg games....automatically. I have found I keep my blood pressure in check by not watching the games live. Check the score the next day....if they win....I watch...if not....well....what's the good? Streaming is the cheap....most reliable way to go for TV/Internet service...if you're in a fiber wired community.

2xDawg, willisbrown and UDDawg like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,163
    Here's to hoping....did youtubetv figure out their beef with Disney? I heard some aggravation when the four letter went out for a few days.

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,420
    Yeah they did, I think it only ended up lasting about a day. I appreciated the 1-bill decrease back to $49, though, just for the trouble.

I too have been on YTTV since back when it was only like $35 a month. So it's been a little hard to swallow the price increases, but I agree it's a terrific service. Way better than Sling, which is what we started out with when we first cut the cord.

5. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,934
    Yeah, I didn't care for the AT&T now service that evolved into DirecTV streaming...YTTV has an impressive sports lineup...only missing the Bally/FoxSports channels...

6. willisbrown

Money:
    $14,163
    I'm gonna give the directv stream/att internet a go for awhile and see if I like it. Can always cancel (no contract). But I'm up and running and the channels on the stream are the same as the original directv so I'm right at home.

7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,795
    Do you get the 4k channels with the streaming package? I’ve had dtv 4k package for 4 years and they actually have quite a bit of 4k sports content, especially from fox and nbc.

8. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $945
    Depends on what you call a lot. YTTV adds ten bucks if you want the 4k feature. FOX has some occasional sport content as a 4k option. NBC sports is, or has called it quits....so the myriad of EPL games of which one or two a weekend had a 4k option. I think those switch to USA now...but not sure if they will offer a 4k choice or not. I would say in general the YTTV 4k option is not worth the extra $10. With no contracts...if when the BE tourney and or the various conference tourneys begin...and the big dance and there are 4k options...you can always subscribe for a month at a time.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,795
    I just went and looked at the guide and counted 7 games this weekend in 4k. 1 hockey, 1 nfl, 2 nba and 3 college basketball (including butler).

10. willisbrown

Money:
    $14,163
    Dude, you're speaking a language I don't understand but I got whatever the premium package+internet and I can tell you so far, the picture is insanely clear and the internet faster than xfinity.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,795
    Dtv =DIRECTV.

4k is a resolution that is better than hd. You’ll know it bc tvs will be advertised as 4k uhd tvs.

DIRECTV has specific 4k channels that only show content in 4k. Was wondering if you got those.

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $14,163
    Not sure and I should have asked but I'll be looking for it.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,795
    It’s channels 104-107 for me fwiw

willisbrown likes this.
  14. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,934
    That sounds about right for YTTV, they also have 4K on demand content and some content is natively in 4K ala What You Do in the Shadows TV show..but yeah to answer the other person's query, not sure if it's worth $10 a month more. But, the Summer Olympics and upcoming Winter games had a bunch of 4K content. Like too much to consume content. And as my wife quipped, they really shouldn't televise synchronized diving in 4K. She was right, there were a couple of well-hung dudes that didn't leave anything to the imagination.

15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,924
    Speaking of Olympics…

I went to the Freestyle World Cup yesterday and today. Today I witnessed live one of the scariest things I have ever seen… Here’s the video…

American moguls skier George McQuinn

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1992673859858

I have seen dudes send it off a jump and crash and get knocked out. I have never seen a dude knocked out as he went off the jump. From my vantage point below, you can’t see the approach to the jump… you just see them fly. So to see a limp, lifeless body fly off the jump was absolutely shocking and horrifying. I was about 20 yards away from where he came to a stop.

After about 20 minutes, he was stretchered off about 2 ft away from me, and thank God he was talking (and even cracked a joke lol). I asked Ski Patrol and they said he was moving his arms and legs.

Oof.

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,924
    On the plus side I got to meet one of my favorite athletes of all time. Took a pic with him and spent a few minutes talking with him. Canadian moguls skier Mikaël Kingsbury. The best that ever lived and one of the most dominant athletes on the planet in any sport.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $14,163
    There's just not one bet I love this weekend. Maybe the NE-Buffalo under with the weather being awful (possibly)? I want to take the bengals but, it's the bengals.

A lot of play on SF at Dallas.

18. Crash

Crash Well-Known Member

Money:
    $646
    Give the kid credit, he did finish the run...

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $14,163
    The one weekend I have the opportunity to travel back to God's country (monday off and no bball for the chica's daughter) it's going to rain/sleet/snow (really, in the damn south) most of the time I'm there. Sigh.

As long as all goes to plan though...I get to witness a top 5 team in Auburn tonight at the Pavilion. Looking forward to that. Tix weren't cheap but...they include courtside club passes, which means unlimited food (they cater in from various restaurants in Oxford) and cold suds/wine. Have a good weekend everyone

2xDawg, #60, BoyGeoff and 4 others like this.
  20. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,163
    willisbrown likes this.