Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    Are you kidding me?? This is f’ing awesome! Promote away, dude.

I was going to say reading your first post… we needed to stop reading at “I was at my booth at Comic Con” and you were definitely going to have to explain.

Do you do this full time? Or do you work as an artist/illustrator? Really cool stuff.

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,505

Thank you for the kind sentiments, OL! I'm not shy about my work. But I don't like to rude in on others & blatantly self-promote. That's not my nature.

Yes, I ride the financial roller coaster called “freelancer.” I've worked professionally as an illustrator since the mid-90s. (Butler didn't/doesn't have a degree in illustrating, so I'm mainly self-taught.)

Most of my work is as a concept designer, storyboard artist, comics illustrator & graphics designer. I'm also a part-time instructor at Otis College of Art & Design & at Brentwood Art Center.

I've also done a bunch of managerial work in the entertainment industry—on a day-&-date syndicated show & in WB's management trainee program, for example.

Though illustrators like me are consistently waiting for the next text-phone call-email, it can be a really rewarding field. (This is mainly true when clients aren't @$$es.)

3. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768
    So jealous of people who have a creative brain. I don’t have a creative cell in my body, far too analytical.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Igdawg

Igdawg Member

Money:
    $33
    Not sure if this is posted elsewhere, but former Bulldogs beat writer for the star Zak Keefer is releasing a podcast about Andrew Luck's retirement and the situation surrounding it. Not sure about others, but I loved Zak's coverage of the dogs and thought some may be interested during the off-season lull.

#60 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,505

I truly appreciate your comment, bruh. TRULY!

But I'd like to offer one correction: I first said the following to fatherless boys that have been part of my church's Rites Of Passages mentoring program (almost 25 years in existence). I've continued to say it to my formal classes' students.

EVERYONE can be an artist. To me, being an artist is taking your interest/talent & pushing it to the Nth degree. I wish that my mind was better vis-á-vis math & geometry. Being better at these would've made some artistic aspects easier.

I envy artists in math & sciences. Because (unless you currently have millions to become an astro-tourist) only artists of these disciplines--who also discipline their physiques--can become astronauts. After identifying the "it" that you (an in general "you") have & pushing it upward from various angles, you become an artist in that discipline.

This is why I highly appreciate & have confidence in my own skills. But I WILL NOT claim that "creative folks" are the only people in society capable of being artists. We can all ascend to artistry.

6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,474
    Well, I mean she certainly wasn’t hard to look at but I was more shocked to see the Bulldog in the wild down here.

7. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $3,474
    True. And who know she might be a server at Memories. Very close.

willisbrown likes this.
  8. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $3,474
    Very cool. I’ll have to check them out.

Given my industry most of the people I know who were there were on the TV/Film side of things, but man I’ve been dying to get out there for a Con.

Thanks for sharing your work. Massively talented, sir. I couldn’t ever get stick figures to turn out right.

seadawg, 2xDawg and #60 like this.
  9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    No, I’m not comfortable saying that, even. I think it’s good for me personally. I don’t know what I believe to be bad, or good, or the way I do it to have a net positive value on society.

It does have a net positive impact on my life, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    Is getting covid twice in a week a world record? Gotta be, right?

11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,183
    It might indeed be an unfortunate and uncontrollable record, but IMO still not nearly as impressive as the 30,500+ false or misleading claims (lies) Trump spoke during his 4 years in office that have been fully documented by that evil The Washington Post. Not cool joking about a potential deadly illness inflicted on anyone, not even some low-life like Trump.

NCJon, Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,935
    In all probability this is a result of Biden taking Paxlovid as a therapeutic. Testing positive again without symptoms can happen, with varying rates of 5 to 40% thus far. Accurate data is not currently known.

#60 likes this.
  13. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,019
    OK, I figure this is the group to ask; I’m with my grandkids swimming, one of them jumps of the diving board and I say “nice Can Opener”. I’m immediately met with “that was a jackknife”. What gives?

NCJon and 2xDawg like this.
  14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,215
    My doctor told me I could test positive for as long as 3 months.

15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    The kids these days. No respect for their elders, no cap.

BulldogsFTW and DawgsMD like this.
  16. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768
    I made my 15 year old niece a non alcoholic bomb pop and she said it was “bussin’.” I swear for two days I thought she said “busted.”

NCJon likes this.
  17. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $951
    Strong get off my lawn vibes in the last few comments

NCJon likes this.
  18. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $562
    Some of you sound old enough to have used lunch trays to sled down the hill by the football stadium.

19. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $941
    A good friend broke his back doing exactly this when the wall was at the bottom of the hill.

20. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $3,474
    I feel seen. Been there, done that.

NCJon likes this.