Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 Active Member

Money:
    $308
    FWIW, Rick Barnes was fired by Texas after loss to Butler.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

seadawg and Hinkle like this.
  2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,204
    Barnes did lead Texas to prominence in his time there. BU was also the higher seeded team in that game. All said, the AD wanted to make a change. Shaka did not fare nearly as well afterward.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    So a werewolf can kill a vampire. I learned something new today…

bumba, Tentozen and seadawg like this.
  5. NCDog

NCDog Member

Money:
    $74
    I live in NC and had to look that place up. Long way from me but does sound nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. DawgWild

DawgWild Active Member

Money:
    $251
    That was the basis for my post that started this Barnes debate!

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,548
    It's extreme far southwest NC...in the blue ridge. Our place is about 4400 feet above sea level. Cool air and lots of black bears. Also amazing golf and some good hiking. Highlands and Cashiers both are great little towns for a quiet weekend with some outstanding restaurants. It's definitely worth a visit. I love spending time up there. It's about 2.5 hours from our place in the north atl burbs. So an easy get.

Tentozen and NCJon like this.
  8. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,123
    Our daughter is moving to Asheville at the end of the month. Going to have to check that area out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

willisbrown likes this.
  9. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    Asheville is outstanding. That sounds great. We are about 1:15 due west of Asheville. I'll say this-if a human likes beer, Asheville is one of the best spots to indulge. Microbrews galore-and good ones. You'll enjoy your visits there. Very cool place.

Oh and the airport there (I mentioned in this thread a couple weeks ago) is one of my favorites.

If you ever do get towards the Cashiers/Highlands area, I'm happy to recommend restaurants and things to do.

joliebeth23 and Tentozen like this.
  10. hortonamos

hortonamos Member

Money:
    $41
    I’m about 2.5 hours south of Asheville. I’ll second that the beer is amazing. There are like 5 or 6 amazing breweries within a short walk of each others, and the two Wicked Weed tasting rooms brew/serve different stuff (all amazing). Asheville is one of my favorite cities for food, too.

willisbrown and Tentozen like this.
  11. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,875
    Might have to suggest this to the wife for our ten year anniversary this upcoming summer. We may or may not bring the kids. Any kid friendly stuff?

hortonamos likes this.
  12. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    Wicked Weed is outstanding. So many good options. And yes visiting the brewery is a must.

hortonamos likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    Just depends on what you want to do. There are tons of hiking trails, lakes, zip lines etc for the kids...but it's more of a shopping/adult atmosphere. But I will say the summer is a great time to go because you can escape the heat. Generally during the summer our highs are in the high 60s/low 70s with lows in the 50s.

I'm sure there's much more for kids in Asheville vs Highlands and Cashiers.

hortonamos and DawgsMD like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,800
    It's alright. Used to be a lot better before Budweiser bought it. Hi-Wire and Highland are my two favorite Asheville breweries at present. I look forward to checking out Dssolvr next time I'm out that way.

FWIW, I loved Catwaba, which has a taproom in Asheville but was actually a Morganton brewery. Their new owners are shutting down most of their North Carolina operations and moving all brewing to New Orleans and I'm not down with that.

15. hortonamos

hortonamos Member

Money:
    $41
    My kid likes the camping and hiking up that way, but like Willis said, I think it's more geared towards shopping/eating/drinking.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    I'm not a huge Gose fan, but Hi Wire has a great one. Highland is all good too. If I recall a couple years ago they had an octoberfest beer for the season and it was fantastic.

17. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    I think IU and MSU broke ESPN's win probability chart... MSU missed a 22 yd FG to win it at the end of the 4th qtr. In overtime, IU missed a 27 yd FG to win it. Truly an epic display of inepititude. There's just something about College kickers and College refs that will take years off your life

18. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,444
    College refs made four insane calls in the last 3 minutes to screw Illinois today to ensure The Game has two undefeated teams and the Big Ten has a shot at two playoff teams. What a complete joke.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,548
    I was rooting for the Illinois upset. Their coach said as much as "when you're here, you're playing the refs too"...not in so many words but that's what he meant. And he's not wrong.

I was also rooting for Illinois so that TN and LSU would be watching and have extra motivation tonight, seeing that I have coin on both.

20. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,800
    There's lots of kid friendly stuff to do in Asheville. If I recall correctly, you have young kids about the same age as mine (5 and 2). There's a decent children's museum, lots of great parks, the NC Arboretum, a good petting zoo, and the Biltmore is surprisingly kid friendly, in addition to all the regular outdoor stuff.