Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,313
    Well at least OSU fans still have Trump to keep them warm on these cold winter nights to come...

2xDawg likes this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $21,251
    W/L is a stupid metric for a college QB with such a talent discrepancy among teams. By this measure Stetson Bennett should be the top pick in the draft.

When on earth have I ever said OSU wasn’t that good? They are the clear class of the Big Ten. I thought Michigan was overrated this year and OSU was better. I was wrong.

I don’t like OSU at all, but doesn’t mean I don’t recognize they are good. You’re seeing something that isn’t there.

And hahahahhahahaha… yeah, sure, Bc NFL GMs NEVER overdraft players or completely miss on QBs. Note: it happens all the time.

Some idiot NFL GM drafting a guy who clearly isn’t ready for the NFL doesn’t mean much. How he actually plays will determine if I’m right or not.

For the record, in the last 10 years, I have seen 4 “can’t-miss” NFL QBs that I knew 100% would be NFL studs.

1. Andrew Luck
    2. Joe Burrow
    3. Blake Bortles
    4. Trevor Lawrence

I am 2/3 with an open Q on Lawrence. Better than most NFL GMs. Wouldn’t have drafted many of the others except maybe Mahomes, Herbert and Darnold (oops on that one). Others I thought could be good but wouldn’t have drafted: Kyler, DeShaun, Goff, Jameis. Mixed bag.

OSU has had zero good QBs in the NFL in 30 years. Stroud doesn’t change that.

3. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $21,251
    CJ Stroud does a few things well:
    - Good, not great arm
    - He’s got great accuracy, but it’s not elite like everyone claims. But if he’s good in the NFL, it’s Bc he has this skill.

Here’s the issue with Stroud:
    - He can’t play in the cold
    - He can’t play in bad weather
    - He can’t play under pressure (to be fair, a lot of QBs struggle here, but the best ones - Manning, Brady, Ben, Mahomes, Rodgers - can)
    - He has ALL DAY to throw every time he drops back. He always has a clean pocket. When 5 5* OL are blocking 4 3* DL at Maryland, you know what will happen. Can’t judge how he will be.
    - Call this Marcus Mariota syndrome, but OSU has elite WRs, and they usually have 3-5+ yards of separation on any DBs they play. Stroud never has to fit the ball into tight windows. Guys are always wide open.
    - Ryan Day has some very clever concepts and route trees, but it’s not an NFL offense. Stroud doesn’t really have to make reads, and they aren’t NFL concepts.
    - He’s inexperienced, compounded by the fact that the offense is a college O. Sure he stared the same number of years as Joe Burrow, but Burrow was making insane NFL throws all over the field at LSU. Yes to NFL WRs, but they were covered by NFL DBs, not Rutgers. Stroud will be starting from Day 1 basically.

Again, he does a couple things well, and since all the college QBs are terrible prospects (Bryce Young is tiny, Will Levis is a joke, the Florida guy is more of a joke) until Quinn Ewers, Caleb Williams, and maybe Drew Allar are ready, he’ll get drafted high, but expect him to flop like Haskins (RIP) or Fields.

4. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $231
    Weird flex. But I guess when you are obsessed with a dude you can make an OSU/Michigan game about him

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,519
  6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,025
    Valid point. I don't love nor hate the man but damn if he isn't ever front n' center.

Speaking of I need to vote...again...this week. Decide between two dudes I can't stand. Awesome.

7. seadawg

Money:
    $10,313
    The guy who knows what a pronoun is deserves some consideration....:confused:

Tentozen likes this.
  8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $21,251
    Hahahaha… like you’re undecided… *eyeroll*

Tentozen, 2xDawg and Hinkle like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,906

Love to see the Lakers lose at home.

10. seadawg

Money:
    $10,313
    Georgia is famous for peanuts, but has Walker been eating packing peanuts ?

jeff and Tentozen like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,025
    Today will be interesting. I see Iran going completely into defensive shell and doing all they can to get a point. But we have to win to advance. Hopefully we can find some openings to get the w.

12. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,366
    I wonder now that the Colts are sucking and the Pacers are starting to win/fun to watch if the state will shift to basketball like they shifted to football post malice at the palace and when Peyton was murdering the NFL.

13. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,158
    I'm just worried the Pacers are getting too good too quickly and wind up back in middle of the pack purgatory because instead of adding a top 5 pick and potential game changer they'll be late lotto/mid-teens now. It sucks but it seems like to win in the NBA now you either have to be a big market that stars want to go to or completely bottom out for a few years and then hit on all of your draft picks.

14. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,742
    I think the Lakers scored 14 points over the last 9+ minutes, very Butler-esque. WELP...

Why GM Lebron hasn't traded for Myles Turner and Buddy Heild continues to shock me?!?!

The Pacers are super fun to watch, but like mentioned above, they need to start losing some games to have a chance at another high draft pick.

15. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $952
    They're def gonna park the bus today. They tried that against England though and we see how that worked. Granted I'm not sure the USMNT will be as flexible in attacking creativity...we'll see. Just need one though.

PSUButlerFan and willisbrown like this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $21,251
    Yep. And the level of ****housery will be epic. Expect a lot of Iran “injuries”. At least stoppage time is finally real.

17. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,285
    Yes, the Pacers were down 17 with about 9 minutes to play.

Let's forget the talk about the Pacers needing to lose. Sure, it'd be great if they could add another high draft pick but high draft picks aren't always homeruns and a lot of the guys they already have are going to get even better. Getting them some playoff experience this year is going to be helpful down the road.

18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,519
    The Pacers struck pay dirt with both Matherin and Nembhart. And to everyone’s surprise they started winning when Myles Turner got healthy and was inserted as the starting 5. Correct me if I’m wrong (and I know someone will), but I believe they have 3 1st round picks next year and plenty of cap space.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. noltar

noltar Well-Known Member

Money:
    $952
    Will be interesting with England/Wales happening at the same time too; even with Wales having slim chances of winning, that potential outcome might push Iran to actually play for the W. We'll see.

20. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,285
    Yes, it looks like they have 3 firsts and 2 seconds, next year. The firsts are likely to be lower half of the round, so they'd have to trade up to get a higher pick.