Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,619
    Honestly, I have no idea right now. I have no aspirations of going to the college level right now.

I do know there was a big push in the MVC a few years (maybe 10) ago to pay $1,800/game, and that was inclusive of travel and meals. I would think for tournaments (Maui, Bahamas, etc.) the travel and lodging would likely be included in the per game fee.

The last study I saw showed about $2,500 per game for the big conferences. But again, travel, meals and lodging were not included in those amounts.

2. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $1,925
    Not starting to stir things up, but given the low pay for officials I can see where NCAA officials might be concerned about fixing games especially now that sports gambling is legal. I don’t think most would go for it, but there’s always someone willing to bend the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

MSUDawg likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    2000-2500 per game when a lot of officials do 80-90 games is low pay...?...for 5 months of work?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

joliebeth23 likes this.
  4. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $195

I officiate NCAA Swimming and Diving and if I got that kind of coin for doing meets, I could quit my day job

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    jkcdawgs and joliebeth23 like this.
  5. IndieDawg

IndieDawg Active Member

Money:
    $1,925
    Is it the norm to work that many games? Tim Dougherty took money and he made more than these guys do and that’s when sports betting was illegal most places. I’m not opposed to gambling at all. I’m just saying the lure of money is hard for some to resist and the inconsistency in officiating (think block/charge calls) would make it hard to combat.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,118
    Is it really that much for an NCAAB game?

A friend of mine who played at Pitt is a football ref. He gets $2500 per game but has to book his own travel and food. And that’s for 12 weeks per year. Basketball you can easily do 40 games in a year.

If that’s the case, why would anyone ref football instead of basketball.

40 x even 2k is 80k per year. More than most ppl make. That seems high...

Otherwise maybe I should do basketball. I can do way better than those chumps - just look at my reffing during an in-game thread :)

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    Get on Pom and look at the ref ratings (if you’re a subscriber). Lots of refs do far more than 40 games (a few even did 100+ last year). And I don’t know a ton about the pay per game, just saying that if it’s 2000-2500 per game and you can do 60-90 games and you’re working 3 hours a day from Nov-March, that’s a fantastic gig. And you could find plenty of ways to pull in some more $$ from April-October if you so chose.

I’m certainly not disputing that people aren’t getting into it at the lower levels because getting $60 to be berated for a couple hours may not be worth it to most.

8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $11,118
    So you can make $200k per year as a part-time college basketball ref? That just doesn’t seem right. No way.

Either it’s the best kept secret in basketball, that number is wrong, or there’s about to be hundreds of ppl getting into NCAA reffing.

That’s life-changing money for most ppl outside of the major cities.

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...s-right-call/2012/03/23/gIQAGMifWS_story.html

From the Washington Post and this is 8 years old. Reports major conferences paying $2500-3k per game.

Based on the posts above and this, sounds like mid major leagues are pushing 2k/game today and high majors are likely 3k+ now.

It’s big business and they’re a really important part of it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $583
    I think the $200k/year is gross revenue. Travel costs likely $600-$800 per game. Still netting $100,000+ for five months of work. Still doesn’t seem right.

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    I’m not sure it’s nearly that much in average expenses per game...a lot of them seem to mostly stick to their region, which would mean a lot of drivable games and which would bring the average way down.

Broad Ripple Bo Borowski, Pom’s top rated official (based on quality of teams officiated), travels cross country now and again, but the bulk of his games are in Indiana and surrounding/Midwest states. He also did 7 games in the NYC metro in a week stretch in November.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    BUcheer likes this.
  12. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $583
    I agree the travel is probably on high side. Which gets back to PSU’s point - seems revenue is too high. If someone could make $120+ for 5 months work with NCAAM and supplement with some football and/or baseball and make it to $150-$175, there is about to be a huge influx of refs.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  13. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $11,118
    That’s amazing. Just can’t imagine there aren’t more ppl in working class jobs who aren’t all in on being a ref.

And not sure why anyone would do college football when college basketball makes you so much more. I could easily drive around Philly, NJ, upstate NY, and do games like Rider or Sienna or LaSalle or whatever. I don’t care to and don’t need the money, but wow. I know a ton of ppl here who need it and should consider this. Still seems crazy.

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,263
    Don’t you have to do a ton of middle school and high school games before you can be considered for college games? I mean don’t you have to prove Yourself?

15. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,534
    Yes, this is part of why more people don't go into it. I have a friend from my hometown who now refs a lot of D1 college games. However, he started out years ago (we're talking 10 to 15 years ago) doing elementary and middle school games, then eventually got into JV and varsity high school games, then small college games, etc. You have to be willing to go through the grind of getting a lot of experience first for not a lot of money before you can start working your way into college officiating.

estar20dawg and Hinkle like this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $11,118
    Not at all the case ^

My buddy who played at Pitt, in his first year, Did Baylor vs. some 1aa school. Granted the rest of his games were DII, but his second year he was lower level D1 and has been there or bigger games since (been doing it about 5 years).

17. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,534
    You realize both situations can be equally true, right? I would bet it was probably easier for your friend to break in because he played college basketball. My friend did not. A lot of it requires getting your name out there to athletic directors and conference staff.

theenforcer13 and Hinkle like this.
  18. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $11,118
    Maybe in basketball. I don’t know.

Im talking about Football. They need people.

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    The pay isn’t anything new (though obviously it’s gone up gradually over time). So I don’t think there’s an incoming influx or it’d have already happened.

I think it’s easy to underestimate the road to getting to that level. If you start reffing now, you’re not going to be calling fouls in Hinkle or Mackey for a very long time, and maybe never. As much sh*t as everyone gives refs, and as bad as they can be sometimes, it’s hard to be even as good as high major refs are.

the_speakers_lab and troggy like this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    Yeah, I don’t know anything about the football officiating road, but it’s possible the need is even more dire there, and because there are so few games, it’d make sense that nobody is going into it and thus they’re even more desperate. I also think that with more officials officiating the game in football than basketball and each having a specifically defined role, the skill level required probably isn’t as tough to reach. But I’m speculating.