Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,060
    "Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn."

godogs91 likes this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    About 87-88% of Indiana students attend traditional public schools. So, if the win rate of small public schools has been 4/10, that's supporting my point.

3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,060
    Thanks @pjohnsto2003, me and the fam are good. Had some friends and hockey guys that live in trendy East Nasty suffer some horrible damage, but otherwise we made it through. Third tornado to rip through East Nasty, that area is cursed. But yeah, the body count is still rising. Came through in the middle of the night and was a bit of a surprise as the models changed suddenly after most people were in bed.

pjohnsto2003, #60 and godogs91 like this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,492
    But it doesn't support your point because you're using a false equivalency. You can fit the combined enrollments of the 27 smallest traditional public high schools in Carmel. To even make the point you're trying to make you need the percentage of students enrolled in Class A schools - not across all schools.

I didn't feel like going that far into the numbers for you, but I did look up how many schools in Class A are traditional public, charter or private. Of the 102 schools last year - I couldn't find this year's numbers quickly - there were 67 public schools, 10 charters and 26 privates. So private schools represent 25 percent of the class and took 30 percent of the boys titles in the last decade. Charter schools are apparently what you're mad at, since there's only 10 in the class and they took 30 percent of the titles.

And as a kicker: At least one traditional public school has played in 21 of the 22 Class A championship games. The exception was Indianapolis Tindley beating Lafayette Central Catholic in 2017

Anyway, the numbers show that public schools not only can win the class, they do with some frequency - although less than would be expected during the last decade, and more than would be expected in the previous decade.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    Yes, agree proportion of 1A schools is the more relevant mark vs total public students. Thanks for pulling that. Was just trying to approximate. The point remains, though, whether it’s 7/10 or 9/10: they’ve been drastically underrepresented as winner over the last 10 years. (And the only reason I’m citing that particular measure is to refute the point you made). Would expect 7 out of 10 winners, and it’s been only four out of ten. And there SHOULD be, statistically, a public in the finals every year. So what? (FWIW, winners and runners up definitely isn’t the best measure of competitive success. We should be looking at record/Sagarin finish of traditional public vs others. I’d imagine that would only further underscore that if you really think it’s a fair fight between a 1A private an a 1A public, this conversation is pointless.)

Would also be interested in how this looks for 2A.

But setting all that aside, that’s just one argument against classed basketball. As noted previously, there are several others.

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,045
    Every time I go to the mountains I get closer and closer to giving up my NYC life and moving somewhere like that permanently. Problem is I’m too ambitious.

znelson15 likes this.
  7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,175
    Completely fair
    We say out here that it’s the Montana tax, you will always make less to enjoy the outdoors to the max

A reason Montana is not Colorado yet, but you also get way less people in Montana and a lot more public land

Glad you enjoyed, next time come to Missoula and hit up snowbowl and see the town

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle and joliebeth23 like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,295
    I envy you. PSU not so much. Go to NYC every year to see family and struggle going because of NYC. Wish they would move to Montana,

ButlerNut likes this.
  9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    Banked threes shouldn’t count.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

10. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,808
    San Diego State is good but totally beatable if they crossed paths with Butler in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,086
    PSA-bump your clocks and watches forward an hour. Enjoy spring.

12. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $523
  13. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $523
    Who would have thought Snacks would become so highly regarded for his basketball play?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

godogs91 likes this.
  14. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,970
    The 16 seed teams shouldn’t have to play in the play-in games in Dayton. They won their conference tournament just like all of the other automatic qualifiers.

If you’re going to have 68 teams, then make the final 8 at-large teams be the play-in teams.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  15. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $588
    Bump. I don’t get it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

UDDawg likes this.
  16. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,601
    I've been saying this since the first expansion to 66, and then to 68. It's just a way for the committee to ensure the smaller conferences are out early so the big dawgs can eat.

17. joliebeth23

joliebeth23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,585
    I've always thought Kentucky's system would be the best way for Indiana to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

18. Clevedog

Clevedog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $489
    Since this is for random thoughts, can someone post how NCAA tournament tickets are purchased. I am assuming no one buys tickets to the first couple rounds until after the locations and game times are announced next Sunday. Can someone let me know the following:

Are participating schools assigned a section for their fans?
    Can tickets be purchased through their school, or does everyone use ticket brokers?
    Do Alums and fans usually stay at the same hotel as the team?
    Are ticket prices the same price at all locations?

Thanks to anyone who can let me know how this works, I could not find any guidelines on line, Go dawgs

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    (I'm actually serious.) No one ever intentionally banks a three, so it going in is 100% luck, and you shouldn't get three points for missing that badly. You sucked on that shot. Let's not give you points for it. Dead ball, turnover, move along. If it hits the rim first, bounces around, then goes in, it counts.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,690
    Are participating schools assigned a section for their fans? - yes, there's a school section/allotment, but there are also general admission tickets and (obviously) tickets available on the secondary market websites too (e.g., stubhub)
    Can tickets be purchased through their school, or does everyone use ticket brokers? - yes, tickets are sold through the school, but they are generally reserved for those with priority via the season ticket priority points system(at least the good seats are). I don't know how quickly or if they sell them out
    Do Alums and fans usually stay at the same hotel as the team? - some do, but I don't know what portion
    Are ticket prices the same price at all locations? - no idea, but I would imagine so (at least those sold by the NCAA/schools).