Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,535
    Very sorry to hear this. Take out orders couldn’t help it stay afloat?

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,462
    Sadly this could happen with up to 40% of small business.

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,969
    I know nothing about running a restaurant or bar besides what I’ve seen on bar rescue, so this may be a stupid question, but is it better to run a restaurant in this environment with a 50% capacity cap than stay closed? I’d guess it would depend on the rent expenses but I really don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. seadawg

Money:
    $6,462
    Unless they would happen to own the property, I would imagine the margin between loss and profit are relatively thin.

5. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,098
    They were for awhile, but got to the point where he quit doing that, because it wasn’t bringing enough in to justify staying open. The good news is, unlike many others, he is in good shape financially, and will be fine.

#60 and PSUButlerFan like this.
  6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    Yeah certainly owning gives you more flexible but I’d also expect owning the land is exceedingly rare. I just don’t know how the variable/fixed expenses break down for restaurants.

7. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,098
    I’m sure it depends on the restaurant, but in his case it would not have been better. He was filled to capacity on weekends, and usually over 50% during the week.

8. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,090
    Not sure I can anything terribly meaningful to this discussion, but here in the Jensen Beach/Ft. Pierce area restautants are free to open but can only use 25% of their interior capacity, but they can add seating to the outside areas and just have to keep 6 - 8 feet of separation. Since the weather here is usually nice, the outside eating areas have expanded, and business to me looks to be pretty decent for them. Of course that doesn't work where the weather sucks...

Insane Dawg likes this.
  9. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    I think some restaurants are staying open despite short term losses in anticipation of being able to weather the storm. Plus they are continuing/building goodwill with the customer bases who hopefully will reciprocate by supporting them when they can dine in once again. I’m sure the margins vary wildly for whatever that threshold is to remain open.

Insane Dawg and knobcreekfan like this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    Unfortunately, the bigger problem with supporting them when things are back open is that, with so many people out of work, disposable income with drop somewhat significantly. Those places won’t be as filled, even if we’re all allowed to sit together again. It’s really tough on people.

knobcreekfan and BUcheer like this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    There are some suburbs-or not bc they’re too far-or chicago that are shutting down city streets to allow for expansion of outdoor seating into the street. I think that’s a good start and something that should be explored more widely. Non arterial streets are pretty non essential for getting around here even downtown.

(Ps I’m joking about the too far part don’t worry ppl)

ButlerNut likes this.
  12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,878
    You touched on an appropriate government response that makes so much sense in allowing more outdoor dining. Perfect example of how government can get out of the way (permit temporary zoning) and make it easier for restaurants to do business. Hope we see this in Central Indiana pronto.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    For sure. There are obviously other measures needed to make this make sense, namely extensive sanitation and wipe downs, but so many people desire outdoor dining in the summer under normal circumstances, it could actually make for an experience some people reflect on with a sense of nostalgia once things go back to normal.

Denverdawg, knobcreekfan and bobbu64 like this.
  14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $764
    I saw where Indiana was allowing carryout liquor sales for on-premise locations. I am not sure how helpful that has been, but nice move by IN to at least try to help. Maybe downtown and along Mass Ave it might work for folks that want a cocktail and carry back to their apartments/condo.

BUcheer likes this.
  15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,679
    I don't expect to dine-in again until November at the earliest. Obviously restaurants will be open sooner, whether that's a good idea or not. But due to the risk factors of people in my household, I won't be taking any unnecessary risks. We are doing take-out about once a week to try to support some of our local restaurants, plus it's nice to get a break from making supper every night. Next time I go to a bar? It just might be 2021.

We used to go out to eat as a family probably once a week and my wife and I would each grab lunch with colleagues, clients, etc. three or four times a week.

I don't think I'm alone in my outlook and that's going to have a huge effect on a narrow margin business if even say 10 percent of customers don't come back for six months or more.

On a similar note: We've already cancelled our summer vacation and I'm looking real hard at the fall trip we usually take up to the Shenadoah Valley to visit family, friends and see the fall colors. I'm trying to figure out if we can maybe make that work with some changes to our normal routine there.

Tentozen likes this.
  16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    Yeah I doubt I’ll be going to a bar until there are basically zero cases or there’s a vaccine. I can drink the same alcohol at home, and if I can see my friends and family again at some point before that, I’ll have plenty to not miss it too much. I’ll be out of my twenties by then. What a gut punch.

2xDawg likes this.
  17. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $12,535
    I had to call 4 Chinese places tonight to find one that was open. I’m trying to support local restaurants, but many are temporarily closed. Blah.

Luckily there are about 8-9 Chinese restaurants that all pretty much serve the same food within a 5-min drive of my apartment.

18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,757
    Eating Chinese at midnight? LOL

The many options for food is a benefit of living in the urban area where you are. Where I am, there aren't 5 Chinese restaurants in a 20 mile radius.

Damn, now I want Chinese food!

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $3,969
    I have 5 within .6 miles ha. Chicago has some awesome korean bbq and wing places which are a bit of an unexpected gem.

20. seadawg

Money:
    $6,462
    The China Buffet, The New China Buffet, The Super New China Buffet, and all exist but remain closed for now.

PSUButlerFan likes this.