Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,126
    If you have HBO, then I would recommend Succession.

2. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Active Member

Money:
    $353
    A couple of Jeff Daniels vehicles from a couple years back come to mind: Godless on Netflix and The Looming Tower on Hulu. Also a big fan of David Simon's post-Wire work, like Treme, Show Me A Hero and The Deuce.

willisbrown likes this.
  3. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,126
    Simon recently made The Plot Against America, which was a very good mini-series as well.

4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,127
    I assume you've seen The Americans, then? It ran 2013-2018 on FX and it's spectacular.

Seen Ozark? It's highly entertaining though not particularly enlightening. Little Fires Everywhere is a very good miniseries, but perhaps not your taste.

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,150
    Actually I knocked out Little Fires everywhere. I liked it ok...kinda weird and a little hard to follow at times, but thought was good. I started on Ozark but only got 3 eps deep then got distracted, that's a good idea to get back into. I liked what I saw so far.

And yes, The Americans is fantastic. I love me some Felicity.

6. Snozzberry

Snozzberry New Member

Money:
    $36
    Agreed. The Americans is amazing. During binge downspells, I always enjoy going back to rewatch Larry Sanders or Curb ('No one is down with diarrhea, ... Diane' - episode from new season is one of my favorites). On Netflix finished, Black #AF a few months ago, and it's hilarious and timely. Also on Netflix is Sense8, which I'm currently watching, which is done by The Wachowskis (Matrix & V for Vendetta) did 2 seasons of television, and I cant stop watching it. Also, if you've never done Battlestar Galactica, it's worth binging if you can find all seasons on a platform. Also solid sci-fi on Prime is The Expanse, highly recommend.
    Also, another current favorite is Killing Eve. Anything with Phoebe Waller Bridge behind it is going to be very good (Fleabag). Further, whoever recommended Succession, I wholeheartedly agree. That show is brilliant. If you liked the Big Short, you will love Succession (Adam McKay and Will Ferrell are producers of both).

7. Shimmy

Shimmy Active Member

Money:
    $181
    Can't remember what all's been said already, but "Better Call Saul" has a legitimate claim to being the best show on television right now. Rhea Seehorn definitely deserves an Emmy for her role. "Hannibal" just got added to Netflix which is one of my all time favorites. It's still shocking that it aired on NBC given its content. I didn't regret watching "Devs" on Hulu, and at only eight episodes it's not a huge time commitment.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle and MadDawg2020 like this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,887
    It's been a while since Deadwood went off air, but it's still one of my all-time favorites and worth going back to. Same with Justified, but you said you've seen all the FX shows.

I just binged on Space Force. It was entertaining. Not amazing. Might be poking a little too much fun at our POTUS for some around here. Oddly enough, a buddy of mine who is an Air Force captain recommended it.

Mrs. Maisel is a great period comedy if you haven't watched it, too.

I find myself binging on British murder mysteries during dry spells - shows like Midsomer Murders.

9. Snozzberry

Snozzberry New Member

Money:
    $36
    Here are a few more, Watchmen is hands down amazing. Not that you have to read the graphic novel, published in mid-80's to understand everything, since the show is a continuation of that world up to the present day, but it's helpful. Plus, the book was one of Time magazines 100 best novels. (Besides reading can also be done during this downtime, who knew :). I cannot make a stronger recommendation than Watchmen. I feel like it's something I will occasionally rewatch like I do The Wire.

I enjoyed Lodge 49 on AMC starring tall lanky son of Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn, cant think of his name. It's a very underrated comedy with drama that's an hour long. Story without ambition and very understated with desperate characters trying to find connection and meaning by being members of a local lodge. Any fans of Thomas Pynchon will probably like the show. Not based on any of his work, but definitely influenced by him with obvious 49 reference. Only 2 seasons.

Lastly, I love Westworld. Each season stands distinct from th others, but it manages to be a natural continuation of a story of dissension into chaos in a highly technological world that's still full of surprises. Plus, season 3 has Beastmode Marshawn Lynch. Gotta love that.

#60 likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,912
    A bit off topic, but she is super sexy on the later seasons of Franklin and Bash.

This is also an excellent choice if you’re looking for a lighthearted summer legal show with lots of hot women and two “bro” lawyers.

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,912
    https://bumble.com/

12. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $893
    My wife is 3-0 on NASCAR Top 10 bets this year. I’m 0-3. Get yourself a woman who likes to bet.

Soccer...well, I won’t embarrass her.

ButlerNut likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,150
    I'm way in the black on nascar and I never watched it in my life until corona. On 7 drivers tomorrow, a few top tens and a few straight up winners. Cannot wait.

Also, I'm on some golfers at the travelers. Give me gambling or give me death.

14. butlerguy03

Money:
    $893
    Wagers definitely keep my mind on things outside of work, especially on stormy days like today in central Indiana. I’m 14-6 so far on Premier League since it came back, but I keep blowing all my wins on Bundesliga.

NASCAR seems to be like major college football. Pick someone with low - numbers from a good team for Top 10 and you have a really good shot. I usually stick with Kyle Busch and Chase Elliott, wife usually stays with Penske drivers, especially Ryan Blaney “because it sounds Irish like me.”

15. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,199
    Don’t know where this belongs but it deserves more than just a random thought.
    The Netflix documentary on Larry Nassar, “Athlete A” is a well produced film telling how The Indianapolis Star busted open the coverup by USA Gymnastics of sexual abuse.
    It is an absolute must watch.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  16. butlerguy03

Money:
    $893
    My wife and I watched it on Saturday. Fantastically done, and as you say, it’s a must watch.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,150
    Scam Newton to the patriots...welp...interesting and intriguing it shall be.

18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,799
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,150
    Haha, Providence got the shaft on that graphic. I kept counting saying "ten...where and who is 11?" Sorry Edward.

ButlerNut likes this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,365

Happy early 4th of July & thank you Veterans for protecting us so we can enjoy beer pong championships.