Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,525
    Oh Holy Night

willisbrown likes this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,711
    Yeah good call there. That's one my mom always cries in church. That and Silent Night...turns into an eye fountain. Mamoo too...southern women are strange.

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,484
    BUcheer and willisbrown like this.
  4. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,711
    Speaking of music Taylor Swift dropped her sister album to folklore last night...money as is everything she does.

Do not judge me.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,920
    I'd suggest the 2020 GOP Christmas album on YouTube.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  6. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,421
    I've gotta roll with Please Come Home for Christmas by the Eagles.

But I've got a nostalgic soft spot for my former TKE neighbors and Dominic the Donkey

7. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,279
    She’s been working with a band that I really like- The National.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

pjohnsto2003 and willisbrown like this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,711
    I honestly think this has been her best work. She had wonderful songs before but these last two drops have been pretty incredible. The National has been a huge help to that. It's not nearly as "poppy" as some of her other stuff. They've been making pure music.

Tentozen likes this.
  9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,247
    I've slowly come around on her. Pop has never been my thing, especially not pop country, but she's got a hell of a lot of musical chops. And I'm impressed with the way she gives back.

There's a whole section of the Country Music Hall of Fame that she endowed and that's dedicated to teaching music to Nashville kids. She reminds me of Dolly in a lot of ways (even though I like a lot more of Dolly's music).

Tentozen, BNiche, znelson15 and 2 others like this.
  10. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,357
    You’re welcome. Dominic The Donkey is a staple in our house.

Hinkle and ConnersvilleBulldog like this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,850
  12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,540
    Same here, it's my daughter's favorite. There will always be a part of me that wants to blast Dominick out of my window and force all of my neighbors to have to listen to it on repeat.

pjohnsto2003, NCJon and Hinkle like this.
  13. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,150
    In the famous words of Michael Scott - God, no! No! Oh Please No!
    It was 24/7 for 14 days before Christmas break.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,666
    Love her or hate her or her music, every should agree she’s an all-time music making machine. Who has cranked out more hits in a 10ish year period since John and Paul 60 years ago? Props to her.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,357
    Garth Brooks?

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,690

I think *hating* her is just ignorance, which is not atypical. Her first 7 years was very much pop country. I loved it, but it’s not everyone’s vibe. Her pop era was also excellent, but I didn’t love Reputation and Lover was good but not clearly better than what else is out there.

Her last two, while not my “favorite” to listen to, have been just lyrical masterpieces. The poetry and imagery of her work has always been an area of strength; the 2020 edition is amongst the best of our time.

I’ve never seen someone who is able to articulate emotions and experiences as masterfully as she does.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,666
    He dominated his genre, that's for sure. From the late 80s to 2000, he had around 30 singles chart on the Country top 100. But only two of them reached the Billboard Top 100 (I'm going off of Wikipedia, full disclosure; I assume it's probably accurate, though). From the late 00s to now, Swift has had 28 top 10 singles - and not top 10 of a single genre's charts, but of the Billboard top 100. She's got 73 top 40 singles . This is bested only by Elvis, Drake, and Lil Wayne (I'm having trouble processing Lil Wayne's volume - I had no idea).

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  18. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,540
    Agreed. She really is an amazing songwriter. And she writes all of her own stuff.

The amount of thought that goes into every single piece of her music (and even the way she self promotes it) is pretty amazing. She hides easter eggs in everything, from her tweets, release dates, album art and lyrics. You have to respect an artist who puts meaning into everything they do. There are literally reddit pages that analyze every little detail of her lyrics, tweets, etc. like they're the Zapruder film. My wife is a huge TSwift fan, so I've learned a lot about the topic that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

UDDawg likes this.
  19. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356
    Sometimes these count "featuring," which help Drake & Lil Wayne quite a bit.

Pop radio has become more about the hits, and not breaking new singles, so it is dramatically skewed to the last 20 years for airplay.

That being said, Taylor Swift is a generational talent. She can write, sing, and play. Unique, and even more unique on the pop charts. Don't sleep on Justin Bieber either. He does it all as well, even if it's not your favorite genre.

Hinkle likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,666
    Ok, that makes a lot more sense. That’s got to be it.

So, Elvis...Taylor Swift.