Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,885
    It wasn’t an article. It was an OpEd.

ButlerProf, 2xDawg, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,619
    Willis, you must realize that a majority of folks use this type of employment as a means to an end and it does not necessarily mean it is their chosen profession or life long goal.

ButlerProf likes this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,315
    Pretty amazing that College Football and the NFL made it to the finish line without one covid death. Hell I don't think there were any real serious cases (where someone got really, really sick). Granted high level, young-ish athletes with the best medical care probably on the planet, but job well done by both. Got the seasons in, crowned championships and avoided any real big covid mess (of course there were postponements, but nothing just horrible). Got to tip your cap to both in the most physical sports which are played in this country. They knew and took the risks, put in protocols and made it. And for us degenerates, thank God they did.

4. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    Its almost like 90 year olds don't play football

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    Shouldn't you be busy on a Q forum railing about Dominion or something?

2xDawg, PSUButlerFan, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,416
    He was there but they kicked him out for extremism.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2xDawg and PSUButlerFan like this.
  7. seadawg

Money:
    $8,619
    Wrong again. Numerous college and pro have had lingering effects with heart issues. Granted most seem better equipped to deal with the virus. No one has immunity, Von Miller included. 1 college player has died in PA. Golden was seriously ill with this crap. Believe what you want but please keep to the known facts.

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    First, I was talking about deaths and football. So, Golden is irrelevant. If what you're saying is even true.

Secondly, find me 5 cases of football players who are having severe lingering effects...I know many got it in very light forms, but name 5 NFL players that almost died.

Third I was referencing the two sports that got the most attention in the late summer and fall. D1 college football and the NFL. The case you are referencing is a DII school.

I'm sorry for y'all that everything went off without a major hitch in the two biggest sports in this country. Y'all are so obsessed with this thing that you took what was a compliment to these two *leagues* and turned it into "hey dumbass, you're wrong. Anything you or anyone says positive in these times is wrong. COVID FOREVER!!!"

Keep corona-broing it. Go read some Dan Woke-in or Christine Brennan or Peter King horse crap which none, zero, nada...came true.

9. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,255
    When testing is widespread, contact tracing is robust and resources are unlimited, professional sports can happen. Just like how governments in Australia, NZ, Taiwan have given their citizens a level of freedom that is currently unavailable here. In Australia, there have been <1000 covid deaths for the ENTIRE pandemic and none since October. They can party and gather without individual and social consequence.

And while direct participants in sports were mostly fine, they undoubtedly contributed to wider community spread and death due to workers, fans, etc not having the same access to resources.

Please, just get your vaccine when you are able so you can finally positively contribute to helping end the pandemic. In my experience, those that want everything to be open often are the least likely to get the vaccine. Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. seadawg

Money:
    $8,619
    Sorry if your offended but numerous reports and testimonials exist from both medical and sport sources. Willis, you have been a denier from the beginning and now you are bickering over the severity of the effects. The degree of infection from the virus is irrelevant unless one has lingering symptoms, especially in instances that effect the heart muscle or oxygen intake. The medical experts are still learning. Yet, all the while people of all ages continue to perish.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $12,315
    *you're*

And I'm not a denier. I just don't believe in complete shut downs, that kids shouldn't be in school and I believe sports should (and are) being played. Now with the vaccine numbers are dropping and it's time to get back to normal societal day to day business. My parents are vaccinated and everyone I know their age or around it has gotten at least their first and most are lined up for the second in a week-two weeks. When it's my turn, I'll go get one too.

But for 11 months we've been pounded by the loud drum of hysteria saying none of this was possible. Sports would kill if they were played. God forbid we go out and enjoy dinner and my favorite-I can't spend the holidays with my family. End the hysteria and get back to living. That's what the NCAA D1 football and the NFL did, with caution and with very good protocols...and it all came out ok. That's a great thing and my initial point was a huge compliment to them. They pulled off football during a pandemic...pretty damn impressive. Even so...all up and down twitter last night were people crying about the game being a super spreader event. Sigh.

SFlaDawg and seadawg like this.
  12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    In Willis’ defense (maybe?), he’s gotten on some wild conspiracy theories and seems to be more lax about it than many of us here, but he’s not in the same league as Title.

If we had more Willis’ and less Titles, we’d be in a far safer position than we are.

Title is basically Dwight Schrute in terms of believing that this is basically a way to weed out the weak and that we should embrace the virus as a way to demonstrate our immunological strength.

It’s truly deplorable and sociopathic.

2xDawg, PSUButlerFan and seadawg like this.
  13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,416
    Willis, we don’t have any reason to believe any of those warnings were not true, and we have plenty of reason to believe many of them were accurate.

Let’s investigate.

I believe the SEC started playing football the last weekend of September. The first week of October, approximately 10 days after the start of the SEC, we start seeing a massive upswing in new cases. They continue to rise until they reach an all time high on October 26-coincidentally the day I believe the Big Ten starts. They keep going up and continuously setting new highs until the 3-4 days after thanksgiving. After those days however, we resume the upwards trends for guess, how long? Almost exactly two weeks. Cases then fall again a bit until, guess when-4 days after Christmas! They then continue to rise for almost exactly two weeks before starting to fall again.

Certainly you cannot say that correlation equals causation. We don’t *know* that football starting caused cases to surge, but the timelines certainly coincide.

It would seem foolish to say that Thanksgiving and Christmas weren’t catalysts when the numbers track the incubation and recovery times for both almost exactly.

I think you try to be courteous of other peoples health and at least make a token effort to look out for your own as well, and I’m appreciative of that. Saying that we got through those things with no problem, however, is just fictional.

14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    This sounds like it was written by someone who is probably a decent tipper, but hasn't worked a wait service job.

There is tons of empirical data out there that women in wait service jobs on average make less than men in wait service jobs and that black servers make less than white servers on tips. It's also true that the higher paying wait service jobs (fine dining) tend to go to men while the lower paying jobs (diners) go to women.

15. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,532
    Somehow, the contagious Covid virus seems to have mutated and spread from the coronavirus takes to this thread.

16. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    That thread is locked.

PSUButlerFan and ButlerNut like this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,550
    I'd just point out that we don't really know that this is true. The argument against having college/NFL football was never really rooted in the risk to the players. The risk was to spreading it to people who are at-risk. We don't know how much college football/the NFL contributed to community spread and then on to deaths (or at least, I haven't seen any attempt at quantifying that). I'm 99.9% confident it was not zero.

All of that said, it's possible the contribution to spread was low enough that it was worth whatever societal/emotional/economic benefit having the games brought. I'm open to that possibility.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $298
    NYTimes and Washington Post are not “radical far left.” Geez. Definitely not radical. Definitely not far. Left of center, ok. The notion that all bar/restaurant servers simply need to provide good service to get a healthy tip is cute.
    Thx NCJon for your insights on these OpEds.

Tentozen, #60, CMG and 1 other person like this.
  19. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $298
    And, it’s too early to know much about “lingering effects” though there are some cases getting reported.

Tentozen and dawgs2014 like this.
  20. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    Everyone should do a tour of duty in food service. The people I know who did are consistently the best tippers and most understanding when things go wrong with their meal/experience. When I worked food service, I had to report my tips and if below minimum wage, the restaurant had to make up the difference. Granted I wasn’t trying to completely support myself (in college) but did really well for the hours I put in. Plus no one I knew fully reported their earnings—most pocketed a lot of cash. Again, a bunch of college kids or young singles not raising families.

knobcreekfan, NCJon and #60 like this.