Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,036
    The most recent episode of "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" sheds some light on what they are now referring to as "long haulers", or people living with debilitating symptoms months after contracting COVID. Very interesting stuff. I think it is safe to think that there are many more, while not maybe to the level of debilitating, that continue suffering somewhere in between for an extended time as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,856
    I brought 4 hours into it because you were apparently saying servers work 8 hours shifts based on your math—which they don’t. I also know people in food service. What kind of restaurants does your friend run because it matters whether it’s higher end or a chain.

Yes— some waiters come in early to set up. But rarely the same server stays to do the cleanup—most restaurants have 4-5 hour shifts with differing start times. Most servers should have time for another part-time job or school or a lunch shift.

Your fictional waitress is making over $15 per hour. Closer to twice that.

3. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,856
    What’s very unfair?

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,318
    Tipping versus just paying them wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,245
    I was a valet for several years in college and we essentially had same rules as waiters/waitresses. Suffice to say I’m a much better tipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,745
    My partner is a server and will have people write things like "Go Knicks!" in on the line for the tip when it's like a Nets themed night, and she'll have to go back and ask if there was anything wrong with the service and why she didn't get a tip on a $200 meal. Now, usually people feel sufficiently shamed to change it, but diners do stupid **** like that all the time. Making folks basically beg for their wages in super unfair.

7. BUcheer

Money:
    $6,856
    Oh yeah, some people are jerks for sure. Especially if they haven’t walked that walk. I’m a softie for servers and always tip close to 25%—even if the service was subpar. I just get how tough of a job it can be. Having said that—some people are clearly not suited for it.

8. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,106
    Everyone should do a tour of duty in food service as well as once every 2-3 years drive a 26 foot box truck. They would give the trucks a lot wider berth.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,988
    If you’re a server and are so appalled by your wages/hours/effort, work in the back of the house. If you work at a chain, everything is pre-prepped/packaged for you. It’s not hard to wash off produce, follow a chart in front of you, and make salads for around $15/hr. Plus, you don’t have to deal with the a-holes out front.

willisbrown likes this.
  10. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,745
    Short story about how people don't respect service workers, sometimes to their own detriment:

I used to work at a Super Target in Indianapolis. I worked in the warehouse in back and would help unload semis and do inventory from 4am -- 12;30pm. If there was ever a morning rush, sometimes staff from the back would be called to help on the floor. This was pretty rare, though. Usually the team who worked the floor could handle it and the management liked keeping warehouse staff in the back. But holidays like the Fourth of July would stress our bandwidth.

Anyways, one time I was on the floor helping out and I saw a man who kept grabbing at his gut. I noticed him a few times and eventually went up and asked if he was okay. He said his lower abdomen hurt, and I asked him to perform a quick palpation test to see if it was possibly his appendix. I had started training as an EMT in college and had some basic medical knowledge. I suggested that his appendix may be inflamed and if was really bothering him, then he should really seek medical attention immediately. To which he responded, "You work at Target. I'm not taking medical advice from someone who stocks shelves." And I walked away and went back to work doing inventory.

About an hour later there was an ambulance that came to the Target because that same dude collapsed in the parking lot. His appendix probably ruptured. That can kill you if left untreated! That being said, I don't think there would have been time to make a significant difference. But the moral of the story is that sometimes the people who stock shelves or bring you food aren't "beneath you" just because they work minimum wage jobs.

A few years after I worked at Target, I got accepted and went to an Ivy League graduate school, and I still think the folks I worked with at Yats (different story) or Target were much smarter and more interesting people than who I got my MPH with, honestly.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    znelson15, troggy, BoyGeoff and 3 others like this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,852
    I know there was obviously a greater moral to your story, but damnit now I'm hungry for Yats!

DawgsMD, BoyGeoff and UDDawg like this.
  12. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,745
    Greatest job I ever had. I doubt I ever work anywhere better.

Gained a ton of weight though!

13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,180
    No one is beneath you. I hate when ppl act that way.

I made friends with building security at my office on 40th and Park. They make less than I do, but they are good people, and some of them are super smart. I had an interviewee coming in, so I set up a deal with one of the guys to be extra slow to see how this kid reacted. To make sure I got good data, I had my analyst stand in the corner and watch. Sure enough the kid was a condescending prick to building security, and he didn’t get the job. I told him why. Hope he learned his lesson.

I also made friends with the NJ Transit customer service people. When the world was different, I would stop in every day and chat before my train arrived. Finally I got good enough where I would help them out and coach customers on where to go. Especially if they didn’t have a Spanish speaker on staff (my mediocre Spanish is good enough for this). I still talk to one of them on text even though he has left Transit and I haven’t been to my office in almost a year. Some of these ppl are more savvy than a lot of the VCs I work with, and yet we make big salaries and they have to help angry customers find the right track.

Treat everyone well.

znelson15 likes this.
  14. WDLTH

WDLTH Member VIP Member

Money:
    $67
    I had a couple roommates (and Butler grads) that worked at Yats. We ate really well the year we lived together. I also rarely paid when Joe was working. My girlfriend (now wife) and I had a gift card that we couldn't use for a year, because Joe kept saying ours was on him. What a great place and owner.

15. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,745
    Kind of similar, but when Michael Lewis interviewed for a job once, the guy he was interviewing with asked him to help move furniture around. Turns out he did that with every interviewee to see how they handled it. Seems like good shorthand. I know a lot of people who have "red flags" based on how they treat service workers. Like I said, my partner is a server and I worked for a while in both the food industry and something adjacent to customer service. My mom was a pre-K teacher at a Lutheran Church. Seeing how people talk about or treat servers, cashiers, teachers.....tells you a lot about them.

ButlerProf and PSUButlerFan like this.
  16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $6,745
    He's a good dude. I was thinking about saying no to grad school to stay, and Mr. V told me if I didn't go off to Columbia he'd fire me.

17. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Well-Known Member

Money:
    $410
    Waited tables at the men's grill at Highland Country Club while at Butler. Most members were really nice, but if they'd just come off the 18th green after carding a 97 and dropping a boatload of cash, watch out.

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,364
    I'm so going to get gorilla glue and put it in my hair so I can sue them and make some quick cash.

Wouldn't "putting glue in your hair" be user error? Maybe there's more to it. But, we'll see.

ButlerNut likes this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,180
    I’ve always just assumed you sniffed it

troggy likes this.
  20. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,370
    Saw that she said the warning said do not put on face or skin, but nothing about hair, so there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops