Random Thoughts

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, May 25, 2019.

1. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,607
    School snow days will become more common with e-learning.

seadawg likes this.
  2. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,242
    Is it a snow day if kids have e-learning?

ButlerProf likes this.
  3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,285
    Except they aren't snow days. I work with teachers in many districts. The e-learning is great in that the school year isn't lengthened. But students miss out on the "fun" of seeing/hearing their school canceled and knowing they can goof off and play all day in the snow.

Double edged sword.

But I do agree that schools will be much less hesitant to declare an e-learning day moving forward. Which leads to safety for students, as no one is risking the cold or weather or getting trapped on a bus, etc.

4. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,607
    The problem with e-learning and being less hesitant to call "snow days" is that when your company (like mine, physician offices) has to close because you have no staffing, it grinds certain parts of the economy to a halt. Similar to the pandemic. Getting kids in school is the biggest key to the economy. I had 22 call-offs of 56 associates today. Most were because of e-learning in Hamilton and Hendricks Counties. We moved to all virtual appointments because you can't run medical offices with less than one person per provider, at least not with our numbers. Thankfully, moving all virtual today allowed some of those 22 to get back on the schedule, but its been well monitored - the quality definitely goes down with WFH.

5. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,285
    I don't disagree with anything you are saying. And I don't want to turn this into a "schools have to be open to people can work, i.e. schools are daycares" post.

Schools are a vital part of any thriving economy/community. Schools employ people and they allow parents to contribute to society while knowing their children are safe and getting the quality education that will allow them to be self-sufficient in the future. E-Learning does provide unique challenges when the remainder of a community stays open. But, is it different on the parent than a snow day? If the school called it a "snow day" and not an e-learning day, your employees would be faced with the same issue. Their children would be at home and not in the school. Meaning that a parent would need to make supervision arrangements (assuming that your employees are calling off because they couldn't leave their children unattended at home). The original position I was taking still stands. The kids are at home whether it is an e-learning day or a snow day. Except the kids don't get the thrill of having a day off to play in the snow. They do get the thrill of their school year ending on time, however. But most aren't looking that far down the road.

The whole point I was making is that the "snow day" that we all remember is likely gone for good.

6. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,266
    Ha. Play a stupid game; win a stupid prize.

DawgsMD likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,969
    The current price of Bitcoin is the dumbest market economy phenomenon since tulip mania.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    Didn’t you hear about the $GME short squeeze and subsequent buy side limitations 3 weeks ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,969
    Bitcoin as an “investment” is way, way dumber.

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,242
    What if I told you it’s guaranteed to hit 500k? Don’t sleep on Crypto....

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,969
    You can think crypto is a big part of the future while also thinking the value of any one coin is essentially zero. Blackberries signaled the impending impact of smartphone technology. Didn’t mean you should buy a smartphone - the product of that technology - as an investment.

Doesn’t mean it won’t keep going up for who knows how long though. All it takes is a big enough cult.

12. butlerguy03

Money:
    $1,607
    It's like a baseball card, it's only worth what someone will pay, no matter how much Beckett says its worth. I once paid $10 for a rookie card that I probably couldn't give away.

troggy and 2xDawg like this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,994
    If you put hot sauce in the fridge, is it still hot sauce?

willisbrown and DawgsMD like this.
  14. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $15,266
    100000000000% disagree.

It’s a store of value. Digital gold.

The fact that tons of major corporations are buying it or adopting it should be a signal to you about its staying power.

The entire crypto industry is the future of the global money system.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,969
    Digital gold if gold’s supply was infinite and could be created with code.

And their doing so is a signal that crypto tech has utility as a medium of exchange. It does. That doesn’t mean the products of that tech are inherently valuable, especially when the supply of those products is theoretically infinite.

It’s like going back in time and saying “man, software is a going to be a big deal. Every company is starting to use it. I’m going to go buy the latest version of Windows.” No. You invest in that technology by buying shares of an entity that successfully monetizes that technology.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $15,266
    This just shows you don’t know what you’re talking about. There will only ever be 21M Bitcoin. The supply is 100% limited. Understanding this scarcity is one reason why prices are going up.

Also, if you think anyone can just write a line of code, you have to understand how mining works (proof of work), proof of stake, and how the network works with various nodes and hashing power and how the core devs fork the code. Bitcoin is open source. Anyone can download the code base. Doesn’t mean your random changes will get adopted by the network.

You could make a case with Ethereum or maybe one of the more scammy altcoins like Ripple (XRP), but you’re dead wrong on Bitcoin.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,969
    No sh*t. The supply of Bitcoin is not the relevant measure of supply. Implying it is is suggests you don’t know what “scarce” means at least insofar as it relates to pricing it. What function does Bitcoin provide that no cryptocurrency can or could provide now or may in the future?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,771
    *Grabs popcorn*

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,517
    Right the finite nature of Bitcoin is one reason why some places are letting you buy at a discount if paying with btc.

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $6,517
    Gold doesnt have any inherent functions different from coal.

We *could* back currency with coal, or scandium, and it would have the exact same rationale of why it works, and then coal would be a “safe” investment.

What you’re saying isn’t “wrong” but given that gold is a storer of value for mostly arbitrary reasons, it shows that being able to answer your last question isn’t a prerequisite to be what PSU described.