Re-rank your big east power rankings

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by willisbrown, Dec 17, 2019.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,744
    So the non con is almost over, there have been weird results and injuries, as we head into the big east, what are your rankings? I'll start with my genius opinion (that can never be argued because it's 100% right):

1. Nova
    2. Butler
    3. Xavier
    4. Marquette
    5. DePaul
    6. Creighton
    7. Gtown
    8. Seton Hall (they move up with good news on Powell, but for now he's out indefinitely)
    9. St Johns
    10. Providence

2. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,460
    1. Butler
    2. Nova
    3. Xavier
    4. DePaul
    5. Marquette
    6. Seton Hall
    7. Creighton
    8. Georgetown
    9. St. John's
    10. Providence

RPEye likes this.
  3. noltar

noltar Active Member

Money:
    $558
    All I ask is that just this one time we sweep Providence into the sewer where they should be. I have an irrational extra dislike when Butler drops games to them for some reason.

I'm also very confused at how Gtown ends up doing in conference. They have seemingly played better but feel like the conf grind will wear them down quickly.

joliebeth23, Tentozen and readyletsgo like this.
  4. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $399
    1. Villanova - it's hard to dethrone the champ yet
    2. Butler
    3. Xavier
    4. Marquette
    5. Georgetown
    6. Seton Hall - would jump to 4 or 5 with a healthy Powell, if he's out 10 games, move them below DePaul.
    7. DePaul - still not sold on 'em
    8. Creighton - woof
    9. St. John's - woof
    10. Providence - woof

The bottom 3 are probably the worst the bottom has been since realignment. I think we are starting to see trending tiers develop in the league.

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,183
    couldn't disagree more on Creighton. They are very, very good offensively and if they had any height would be a threat to win the league. They will be awfully tough to beat at home this year and fully expect them to be in the conversation for a bid at the end of the year.

BU Fan in Illinois likes this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Active Member

Money:
    $399
    I'll be completely honest and tell you I haven't watched Creighton this year very much, just what I sort of have seen by box score, etc. They may be in the conversation at the end of the year, but any team will be in that 6-7-8 range in the Big East. They do have a tough home environment, but I'm still not impressed. I'm sure this will end up a cold take.

7. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,432
    1. Butler
    2. NOVA
    3. Georgetown
    4. DePaul
    5. Xavier
    6. Creighton
    7. Hall
    8 Marquette
    9. Providence
    10 St. John’s
    I really think Marquette is overrated and we might see a coaching change here soon. Also Seton Hall when healthy is top 4. X would have been higher but they just lost to wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,744
    Well, you'll get your chance tonight. I haven't seen a ton of them either other than when they ran Nebraska into hell and back. I am very intrigued by this Oklahoma match up tonight. Gonna learn aplenty about our friends in Omaha.

9. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,536
    I hope Butler is able to end up something like 12-6 in conference play. I think that is realistic, but I could see them going slightly above or below that. It's hard to guess who will be at the top other than Nova, given that preseason expectations were way off for most Big East teams.

10. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $791
    The win at Ole Miss, and hanging in at Baylor has me optimistic that they can finally rack up some road wins, and finish with 13 wins or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

11. jvoigt

jvoigt Active Member

Money:
    $118
    12-6 is what Kenpom predicts (for Butler). I'll go with that.

Butler (12-6)
    Nova
    Xavier
    Marquette
    Seton Hall
    Georgetown
    DePaul
    Creighton
    Providence
    St. Johns

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  12. Shimmy

Shimmy Member

Money:
    $89
    Guest posting for Title here. Actual records / performance are irrelevant, so order is based on most recent recruiting class rankings (excluding 2020, of course, because Butler knocked it out of the park). Also, UConn is ahead of Butler even though they're not even in the Big East yet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tark43, Sidd Finch, schoops and 8 others like this.
  13. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    1. Butler
    2. Villanova
    3. Marquette
    4. Georgetown
    5. Xavier
    6. DePaul
    7. Creighton
    8. Seton Hall
    9. St. John's
    10. Providence

My power rankings for the state:

1. Butler
    2. Indiana
    3. Purdue
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Indiana State
    6. Valparaiso
    7. Ball State
    8. Evansville
    9. Purdue-Fort Wayne
    10. IUPUI

14. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,385
    Question: So with the surprisingly strong play we’ve seen from Butler so far what are the new expectations heading into BE play? Before the season began I think most would have been pleased with a top 5 finish. Would you be disappointed with a 4th or 5th place BE finish now?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

cornette33 likes this.
  15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,246
    Disappointed? No. Hoping for top 3? Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $380
    I would be highly disappointed if we finished behind Providence or St. John’s. I would be slightly disappointed if we finished behind Seton Hall or Creighton. I would be a little surprised if we finished behind Cincinnati Catholic or Georgetown. I really go back and forth a lot on Georgetown. I was ready to put them in the basement but now they seem bipolar.

17. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    My personal take on Georgetown is that they will be a major factor - McClung is playing out of his mind, and I think GT is a top 3 finisher - been wrong before, but I;m sold on that team at this point.

18. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $148
    I think the BE is impossible to rank. Seton Hall would be at the top, but with the injuries, now they could finish as low as 7. I can't really see Nova below 3rd. As well as we've been playing, I still think the entire league is going to hover around .500 in conference. I'll be pretty happy if we finish in the top 4 even though we look like the best team right now. I just hope we beat X twice.

seadawg likes this.
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $6,744
    Yeah I feel like they've really rallied after dumping/losing the 3 players. They are playing very well. BUT...I want to say they have 7 or 8 scholarship players now. That ain't gonna last throughout the grind that is the big east I don't believe. Stranger things have happened but I think they come out of the gates strong, but eventually wear out and end up 5th or 6th, maybe 7th. Only because of the depth.

seadawg likes this.
  20. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    You are probably right - but there are precedents for 7 player rosters pulling togther and making big waves - adversity sometimes makes for heroic efforts.