Recruiting Notes 3.0 (The LaVall Era)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,836
    Next year won't be a loss year no matter who is added. I see McD, Baddley and AT improving a lot along with David. Those four plus KB and PJ is a good core. Hopefully Tucker is who everyone thinks he is and is KM's heir. I don't expect much out of Markesee in his first year and JGB may have a roll. That leaves the big question mark of Fowler and Brunk. I wish we could pick up a big as a transfer that can rebound and get after it on the defensive end. A freshman guard to develop as a replacement for PJ and KB is a necessity for 2019 and forward.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,252
    I would define next year as a loss if we don't make the tournament. The pieces we currently have lined up for next year are well positioned to make the tournament but I certainly don't think it is a given. This far out the range of outcomes for next year is extremely high and rests on player improvement, contribution from freshman (and JT), and potential outgoing/incoming transfers. Overall, I like our roster construction, especially if we can add an athletic 4/5.

That said, I do like our chances of making the tournament this year and next. If that bears out, that would be huge for recruiting and get us through this tough transition period.

dippper61 likes this.
  3. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,215
    Can i just point out that Butler currently is not even halfway through the BEast conference play, very likely to make Tourney, with a lot of talent.

This thread sounds like some are writing off this season and looking forward to next. And it gets more action than other threads. I know its a slow week, but enjoy this iteration of BU Basketball

Sent from my SM-G900V using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan and DawgsMD like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,717
    There will be a fair amount of turnover in the BE next year so I do feel BU could remain competitive and in the top portion of the conference. Certainly not a given simply because of the unknowns. Barring key injuries it would be a disappointment to not make the dance but not end of the world. So far BU has survived this year and that is what will probably have the greatest effect on expectations and recruiting. At this point BU only has one open scholarship following 2019.

5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $912
    A guard that can score and defend will be great, but this team could really be good next year with an upgrade at the 5.

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,836
    Good point. The BE will be losing a fair amount of talent- Xavier and Seton Hall particularly. Even though Nova will lose some really good players Jay Wright will reload. Creighton loses a bunch. The BE actually could take a step back among the power conferences. If we can find a five and a four that can kick butt we could be fighting for second in the BE.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,156
    I'm loving this season and don't think it's going to be a loss at all. We are more likley than not to make the tournament, and anything can happen there.

I'm only looking forward to the next season hoping it can be nearly as fun as this one and the three previous ones.

I will add that I think everyone is underestimating the loss of Martin.

cornette33 and ButlerNut like this.
  8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,306
    Tark43, bumba, BoyGeoff and 1 other person like this.
  9. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,252
    yeah, I agree here (I think it's our biggest hole). It seems to me that we have a bunch of wings but that they are more in the mold of traditional 2 or 3 positions (PJ, KB, HB = 2s ; JT, MH, CD, SM = 3s) than the 4. Moreover, our big guys next year (JB, NF) are traditional 5s. It might be possible to play some of the 3s at the 4 position but not ideal. If we could get a 6'8''-6'10'' guy that can rebound and defend inside, we will be a dangerous team-- especially if this is a transfer that has already proven to contribute.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  10. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,252
    I forgot JGB whose position is difficult to pin down. I though he was recruited a la Rosie Jones but unsure how LaVall sees him in his system. He certainly has the size to play the 4 but unsure about his abilities thus far. Hopefully he has a good summer because his ball handling ability couple with his size would give our lineup a lot of versatility.

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,717
    I think both of BU's seniors will be sorely missed. TW could end up being BU's all-time leading % shooter and he is the foundation of the defense. Finding a wide body to block out on the interior will be the real need. BU's SOP has and will continue to remain, having the guards hit the defensive glass. I don't see that changing in the near future, regardless if the staff wants to speed the game up. I do think most of us are hoping JB can fill part of that role.

12. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $480
    You just described a 5. The biggest thing here is Brunk. He is a a big question mark. But I like what I see when he is in there. He could possibly play the 4 as well? Twin towers? We've seen it in practice a couple of times. Also I think Hastings could play the 4 a little. Either way. I will be happy with a 5 or a 4. As long as they're stronger, maybe quicker than Folwer & Brunk...

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,836
    I'd agree with that if the two fives we have played at high major level. Actually if they did then the need for a four would lessen.

14. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,306
    Yeah, but neither of them can guard on the perimeter. I understand the desire to play them at the same time, but in the era of stretch 4s, I don’t think it’ll be very effective. Similarly, I think this team really needs a PF who can stretch the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,252
    Yea, I agree with your last point---we need an athletic big because NF and JB will be the two least athletic players on our roster. Whether we call him a 4 or 5 is beside the point--the best would be someone who could play either position: as a small ball 5 without NF/JB on the floor or as a four alongside NF/JB.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  16. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,252
    I think the problem with the roster next year is that as currently constructed we must have either JB or NF on the floor at all times. We will struggle with teams that have 5 out offenses (Creighton) and that have more athletic bigs.

seadawg likes this.
  17. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    We have to get a grad transfer big. Brunk will essentially still be a freshman next year 3 seasons into his career, and then you have Fowler. Doesn't inspire much confidence in the front line.

It's all the more odd considering we never appeared to reach out to Boudreaux, who is the exact sort of scoring 4 we need.

18. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $4,306
    I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to do a JC big. LaVall follows Carlos Dotson, and Omar follows a guy out in WY. I think that’s another route they’re pursuing. But the idea is the same: a more physically mature, game-ready big.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  19. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $29
    Though i agree a strong transfer 4 is what we need the most, I think we could see a line up of KB, HB, CD, JT and McD on the court as away to give NF and JB a breather or when they are playing poorly. Though we do not have that traditional big, CD has a 6'10 wing span. This line up could create a match up issue on the offensive end and all 5 of them can shoot three (though CD needs to prove himself).

20. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,182
    Who is writing off the current season? This is a recruiting thread, No? Seems logical the focus of this thread would be upcoming seasons and not the current year, which is fully discussed in other threads.

Just a weird reaction to recruiting conversation that has been pretty slow, outside of Tucker, as of late.

cornette33 likes this.