Recruiting Notes 3.0 (The LaVall Era)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Jun 22, 2017.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,527
    This should be expected and until we are notified otherwise, BU should still be in play...

2. HinkleMagic

HinkleMagic Member

Money:
    $77
  3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,133
    Bulldog61 and Hinkle like this.
  4. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $179
    We are 1 recruit away in ‘19 from having one of the best classes in recent memory (obviously IMO). Crazy how quickly tides turn. I’m all in on what LaVall has going on and love the energy surrounding the program.

5. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,629
    So you are saying that the sky isn't falling because Butler didn't sign EVERY player that came on the market? :rolleyes:

huss587, DawgPoundMac and godogs91 like this.
  6. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $179
    Battle was a game changer (at least in my mind) and I got the same feeling with his commitment that I got with Matin’s, and I am getting a good feeling with what I am hearing and seeing from Coach; has a certain authenticity that I think will do him and the program well.

butlernut, BHayden and Daddysmack like this.
  7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,553
    4-5 years ago lots of people talked about the BE transition of recruiting talent BU would need to go through. It was difficult for us to compete for Top 100 guys in year 1 of the BE. Now we're getting higher ranked kids (e.g. Brunk, Tucker, Battle, etc.) and going head-to-head with top schools in recruiting.

I must admit that I'm excited to see what happens this fall. I loved Kelan but he played a lot of hero ball at times. It will be good to see guys like McD, David & Brunk get their opportunity to shine.

seadawg likes this.
  8. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,072
    It's not really "Hero Ball" if the coach sets up the isolation to take advantage of a match-up advantage. It looks like it when it doesn't work, but it's not the same thing. Not my favorite type of play, but it's not the same as just shooting it every time you touch the ball no matter what the match-up is.

I'm excited to see how the new players work out, but I'm also excited to see the improvement of the guys we have on the roster now! I think we once again surprise by overachieving the "experts" projections.

#60 and jal8908 like this.
  9. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $2,961
    Well, we know where at least a few of the "experts" (Title, I'm looking at you) will pick us. If there were a possibility to pick us 11th in a 10-team league, that would be his pick. I, too, am looking forward to Vall's second season at the helm.

10. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    2-10 is pretty open. I’m going to wait a few months before making my picks, but I’m pretty sold on three ideas:

1. Marquette won’t some big jump like people are saying. Their defense will still be a huge problem. Could crack the top half of the conference, but that’s about their ceiling.
    2. Xavier isn’t taking a big step back. Too many good pieces returning and coming in, and Steele is going to do a great job.
    3. Williard hasn’t proven he can win without the 2014 class, but I’m not sure what that means yet. SHU will be the most interesting team to watch this year.

11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,137
    I've never heard Jordan discuss his offensive "approach" in a presser other than saying he wanted to play up tempo (maybe I missed it), but he talked about it to TV reporters who have related it during games. It's that.....free lance the first 8 seconds, work for a good shot the next 8 seconds, and then just beat the shot clock......it's "something (I can't remember), great, and late." Not a fan of it at all. Better to take the easy fast breaks when available....if not, ALWAYS set up and work for the great shot in the half court offense. Duke has that possession philosophy of Good, Better and Best Shot on each possession. Coach K tells them to work the Best shot each possession and not settle just because you might be open when a better shot could be available (which we did so much of...settle...during the season). You are absolutely correct....isolation is not hero ball. Always wondered why we never cleared a side and posted up Kelan at times, back to the bucket, when he was guarded by shorter defenders. He was nearly always facing the bucket on the perimeter. There are times to isolate during games, but making an entire offense of it is not good. As shaky as we were on the defensive end it wouldn't have hurt to shorten the game a little by using the clock and working for those best/great shots. Limiting the possessions of the opponent IS good defense. Now I have no doubt someone will come on here and defend the offense we played because we scored a whole lot of points. The fact that we scored a whole lot of points was a testament to the individual offensive skills of the players, not so much the system. Don't forget, we lost 14 games too. Baldwin was playing point for the first time in his career and in a free lance offense where decisions needed to be made, and I think that caused some issues as well. Flashback.....Kamar dribbling and dribbling and dribbling. Remember? Still, I do hope there is a little more structure to the offense next season....that is, more often than not, working for the best/great shot. Some inside/out through the post or from penetration and some back doors would be nice (we were getting overplayed so often), since they were rarely seen this past season. Big fan of Jordan. Not so much of his first year approach to his offense. He's got some talent on that roster to work with.

dippper61 likes this.
  12. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,629
    Title will pick Butler to finish 5th in the Horizon League for the 2018-2019 season. ;)

13. seadawg

Money:
    $2,527
    I am a fan of structure also, but the college game has evolved over the past 2 decades with the continuing decline of time on the shot clock. It seems nearly all the programs do the same thing offensively. Pick and pop, pick and roll and try to create mismatches through switches. BU attempts to use the dribble drive and dish. to Duke is not a reasonable comparison with BU especially last season, not when they have 2 five star twin towers. Yes BU has some talent to work with but when you are starting from scratch, patience is required. I do not believe we have seen the finished product LJ envisions, nor can we assume he has the personnel to achieve that. Not yet. Do I believe BU can be more efficient? Absolutely! Still, all in all I was pretty satisfied with the first season under LJ and I feel BU has the right coach. Remember he is still relatively inexperienced and we should expect some mistakes to be made. My preference would be to see better ball movement via the pass in the future.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,800
    Offensive sets and patterns are going to become less and less when you keep reducing the time. Agree with seadawg. Most everyone runs a similar offense. Plus the college game is going the way of the NBA with a lot of threes and if not there drive to the basket. The pick and roll or pick and pop is not as effective in college compared to the NBA where the refs ignor the holds by the screeners and moving screens. Once the college refs reduce calling so many fouls on screens scoring will go up.

I think LJ calls his offense eight-great-late. When all you have is thirty seconds it makes sense to break it down to three short intervals.

15. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,465
    Anyone here know if Butler has been in contact with Pierce Thomas of Brownsburg ‘21?

16. seadawg

Money:
    $2,527
    Not sure but I hope so. Purdue has already.

17. BUcheer

Money:
    $4,465
    As has IU. C’mon B-burg peeps—what’s the dope?

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,553
    Yes, Kelan played hero ball many times during his four years. Shot selection was one of several reasons he got benched as a Junior.

19. BUcheer

Money:
    $4,465
    iluvsnow and seadawg like this.
  20. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $928
    Tyrell terry (19 pg that has recently taken off) has 2 recent CBs—both predict him to Stanford. That would be interesting. Obviously a great academic selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

traveling_butler_fan likes this.