Recruiting Notes 3.0 (The LaVall Era)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Jun 22, 2017.

1. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,678
    He is secretly TFP2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,223

3. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $102
    Or, he’s just keeping it real and not reporting with Butler tinted glasses on. His job is to report accurately, not be a Butler Basketball propaganda machine. I think he’s been more than fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,565
    Yeah, I think Woods is actually more on the “acts more like a fan than a beat writer” side of things, which may be why he’s coming across as “negative.” I mean, have you read this board lately...?

2xDawg and NCJon like this.
  5. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Member

Money:
    $87
    He is a Butler dad, too. I went to HS with both of his daughters (one of which went to Butler while I was there). Gives a certifiable excuse to be a "fan".

6. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

7. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I didn’t say he should put tinted glasses on I want more coverage from him and point out the positives sometimes too. I personally just don’t like him at all

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I didn’t say he should put tinted glasses on I want more coverage from him and point out the positives sometimes too. I personally just don’t like him at all

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,850
    Weird angle for him. Dude has authored books to sell to the Butler Basketball propaganda machine. He’s 100% not “just keeping it real.”

dawgs2014 likes this.
  10. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,077
    Butler is awful lucky to have David Woods as a beat writer. He does it as a something he likes to do and gets little help from the "Gannet Star".

2xDawg and IndyDawgs like this.
  11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,108
    I know we're fully into the offseason when complaints about The Star's beat writer roll in.

Woods does a good job. He's fair in his coverage and doesn't pull punches. He's been on the Butler beat (off and on again) long enough that he brings incredibly valuable institutional knowledge.

The implication that he covers Butler just as "something he likes to do" is way off the mark. That's not to say that he doesn't enjoy it, but it's his job.

The Star isn't willing to dedicate a full time reporter to the Butler sports beat, so Woods also covers Olympic sports and helps on other things the sports desk needs. That means when basketball season is over, Butler generally gets put on the back burner, for which The Star - not Woods - is to blame.

IndyDawgs, Shimmy, schoops and 3 others like this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Yeah I think David Woods is extremely professional. He definitely presents angles with a slant sometimes, but it’s never unreasonable and he lets the facts tell the story instead of his opinion.

I think the notion that he’s overly critical is ridiculous. His twitter mentions are full of people complaining he isn’t critical enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

IndyDawgs, Shimmy, nindiana and 4 others like this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,223
    I worked with Woods but in a different department. He's a good guy and significantly more connected than many of you know about. If you want more coverage for BU in the IndyStar, then pay the digital subscription $0.99 per month to keep good sportswriters in a job and click on every single ad that's on a Butler basketball story.

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,452
    David Woods is a treasure . Excellent journalist that covers sports professionally well including Butler.

15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,077
    Lets get this thread back on track.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,041
    What did I miss that he was negative about recently? Also sometimes it’s the headlines that have a critical/negative tone and as far as I know the editors still write those? I still think there’s a pro-IU bias among the Star staff:)

Insane Dawg likes this.
  17. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $101
    I can't think of anyone who would or could do a better job. I agree with Insane Dawg, he is a treasure.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,452
    As there should be an IU bias. Newspapers have to cater to their audience.

19. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491

Have to admit, I starting reading this thread from the latest posting up and then I read yours. My first thought, who the hell can Bob be referring to when he asked who could do a better job? Loaded question these days. Then I saw it was David Woods. Woods is fine. Maybe not a "treasure" (still think he is a little too close to the program to offer criticism when and where it is needed) but he has been a solid advocate for Butler basketball over the years. I do have a whole lot more pressing concerns around the program these days than the job David Woods is performing. I do remember when the all coverage from everywhere, print and electronic, was a whole lot better and more expansive when we were playing Butler basketball and winning.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,223
    If you look at the toolbar on their website, you'll see what drives the clicks. Colts, Pacers, IU, Purdue, Notre Dame and then Butler. Click on every ad on a Butler story and you'll get more content. Look at every picture gallery from every game too. Impressions = profit. Just sayin...