Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,145
    And Title should open his wallet and give the program a blank check that can be used to pull the program out of the dumpster he thinks it's in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,029
    Like you've never given any wrong info...SMH

At least Willis uses the correct you're and your, it hurts my eyes and brain every time you type something because I'm cringing at what I might have to try and comprehend. That can't be a Butler degree at work. It just can't be.

pjohnsto2003 and dawgs2014 like this.
  3. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Pick n Roll Dawgs Active Member

Money:
    $379
    Actually I haven’t ever. Just predictions of what I think or my takes is all I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2019
  4. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,029
    Like a true kid these days...give no information and hurl insults with no shred of intelligence. This is why coaching theses days is so hard and why guys like Beilein and Stevens jump to the NBA. Entitled brats with very little parenting guidance, discipline and respect.

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,442
    LMAO. This is tremendous.

So this type of thing flies (which I'm fine with, personally) but Enforcer gets banned for something microscopic? Weird. But, carry on.

UDDawg likes this.
  6. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656
    See, the thing is, I’ve never seen anyone treat LaVall like Jesus. Not trashing our coach entering his 3rd season and treating him like Jesus aren’t the same thing. I think most recognize LaVall has a lot to prove but personally im not gonna give up on a guy after two years. Especially when the previous coach left the cupboard pretty bare talent wise. You do realize Holtmann recruited all the players you trash on a daily basis, right?

MBA2003, Alcohol101 and UDDawg like this.
  7. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,442
    I just get bothered that almost everyone was preaching how great it was to pocket a scholarship and not go hard after transfers when we know we need the talent, and the argument was "save it for 2020" in most cases and just the almighty belief that 2020 is going to be the best class ever...and it may well be. But there's no proof of that, yet. Then, when our coach starts looking and showing interest in secondaries, it's all well and good and this is a great plan and we can stash him and train him and blah blah. Drives me crazy. It's as though people that are concerned (like me) with how the roster will fill out after many defections (after this season) are some how in the wrong. 2020 is not the class to be bringing in a huge project. It's the year to bring in impact talent. Our classes are never really out of this world ranked highly, but if there was ever a time to buck that, it's this class.

But yes, for all Holtmann managed to do on the sidelines...he was an AWFUL HS recruiter. He did ok with transfers.

8. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,029
    WE hear only what the media tells us. If we don't cultivate relationships early we lose. We aren't Villanova that can target 4 or 5 people and get them. So it's our staff's job to reach out and connect with as many kids and families as we can to establish relationships. you never know which kid is going to grow or figure things out. Look at Mark Smith two years ago. Jaxson Hayes last year. Ja Morant, Dylan Windler. Gordon Hayward... As someone who has coached D1, my best recruit was a 2 star kid who had zero D1 offers except my own and just finished up his collegiate career as a two time All-American. He was a late bloomer, saw the potential and took a chance. If you set your sights on just a handful of kids and you aren't at an elite school who pulls every kid you want, you have to always keep your eyes open. That's how you stay employed and succeed. Nobody here, including the the staff thinks a 2 star kid at this early in the recruiting season is suddenly being prioritized. It's a kid whose Dad went to Butler and at 6'9 can shoot the 3, who still has a whole year and change to develop who maybe takes a giant leap. You don't want to keep the relationship ongoing???? I think you need to stay off social media recruiting and just trust the coaching staff knows a little more at recruiting than twitter and instagram.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  9. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,442
    I am not one of the prospect following types nor am I on instagram, thank god. And I surely do not go into followers and followings. But if it's brought up and it's concerning, I'll have an opinion. I'm only on twitter social media wise, and I follow bball writers and a couple former butler players. I think the only current one I follow is Tuck. I def don't follow high school kids. No thanks. But if it is brought to discussion, from a social media site to this board, I'll comment. Or if I see something from a writer that is relevant to the program, I'll bring it up. Good bad or indifferent.

10. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $196
    We definitely needed / need a senior transfer. I thought at guard that could shoot it and where we need depth just in case. Even a defense only guy or rebounder. I don’t see how this deters 2020 recruiting. The spot is still there. Thought we should have gone hard after any grad transfer with some skill set that could contribute this year. Anybody sitting a year, different story. Would have to be a solid + player for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

willisbrown likes this.
  11. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Money:
    $379
    Relationships take awhile to build. Why are you panicking? Someone posted on one of the threads like 20% of 2020s are committed we have 1 of them who’s highly rated and was overlooked by butler fans IMO. Plenty of time

12. Pick n Roll Dawgs

Money:
    $379
    cornette33 likes this.
  13. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,950
    I played in the state finals one year in Ironwood, Michigan. That's a looooooooong drive from Detroit. We got smoked in the semi-finals by a team from Iron Mountain. It wasn't pretty.

MBA2003 likes this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,200
    I know you're the King of Hyperbole, but I can't let this statement slide, yet again.

First, I was the one who raised the idea of pocketing a scholarship and my view was absolutely in the minority around here.

Second, the point I was making was not a scholarship should be pocketed or that the staff should not aggressively pursue transfers. It was that with two open scholarships, I thought the staff could be and should be careful about who they brought in. If that meant that one of the scholarships got left open, so be it.

Some of you were acting like it would be an indictment of the coaches if one didn't get used - that is until Smits committed and folks attention shifted elsewhere.

Pick n Roll Dawgs likes this.
  15. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,442
    Trust me, you weren't the only one. I'm not sure I get where you are getting that you were in the minority...I was getting all kinds of grief (and really not from you) about wanting to aggressively pursue a guard transfer. I was hit with plenty of pocketing takes and that 2020 is the goal. I promise it exists.

Either way, I got plenty of flak for my opinion there. And I stand by using it was/still is the right course of action. Not just assuming 2020 is going to be amazing. And, who knows...maybe they go hard after Barcello?

16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,118
    Willis, we've talked privately about this, and you know we disagree on a lot of stuff, but I think it's just frustrating to folks that you (admittedly) say you live for drama and then also say you're taking flak. Right? If you're gonna live for drama, then you can't be mad that people call you out a lot.

Maybe you're not mad, but I think that's the central tension here.

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,455

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,347
  19. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,442
    I cannot handle a dude with that name on this team. I just...I just can't do it.

MBA2003 and jkcdawgs like this.
  20. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,215
    Anyone going to Carmel, HSE, or Westfield this weekend for the recruiting event? (I think it's Westfield?) @Jared Grubbs @Lukas Harkins