Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,270
    I don't like the trend, but it makes some sense to me that these basketball academies can offer more both in the high level of competition in practices and games, and in facilities, strength training, nutrition, etc. than a typical public high school.

Ivey was at an Indiana powerhouse, so that makes it less of a jump up, but it still is one.

We just saw a kid down here who would have swept the state awards and was already committed to a major program announce he was going to a basketball school in Florida for his senior year, but that made a little more sense. His high school wasn't exactly known for hoops.

2. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,490
    Is Mishawaka Marian really a "powerhouse?" That's a serious question since I don't follow high school basketball that closely. I don't recall them being that good historically.

NCJon likes this.
  3. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    Excellent Q and clearly a mistake on my part. I was thinking of the Marion Giants and not Mishawaka Marian.

4. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Marion isn’t what they used to be. Could argue that Marian is the better program over the last 10 or so years. Demetrius Jackson went there too.

Regardless, I think the prep school trend is a joke. You are already committed to a major D1 school. Stick it out with your teammates who you’ve played with for the last 3 years and try to win a title, and do something special for your community. I couldn’t possibly fathom the thought of leaving my high school team going in to my senior year. I respect the hell out of kids who have the opportunity to go to these prep schools, and turn them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NCJon

Money:
    $6,270
    Marion may not be what it once was, but it still has a state title, three regionals and four sectionals in the last decade.

Mishawaka Marion has had some good records, but only two sectionals and one regional in that same time frame.

Regardless, both schools blow the N.C. school I was drawing a comparison to clean out of the water.

6. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Yeah you’re right, I didn’t really consider postseason success, was just looking at past overall records. Marion probably plays a more difficult schedule too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,242
    As a former Marion Giant, thanks for the love!

I attended during the school's run of a dozen or so straight trips to semi-state (prior to class basketball). The town has fallen on hard times. And leadership has sometimes been fractious, sometimes inept. Such a state has eroded enrollment & the pool from which quality athletes may be chosen--this in addition to the many changes to "amateur" basketball often cited at this site. It's sad to observe.

However, having grown up with the current coach, what James has done there has been quite nice. Great to win #8! With community support (& less stupidity from city, community & educational leadership), JB may be able to expand on his recent success & reclaim the school's former luster.

NCJon likes this.
  8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,773
    Indiana offer.

9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    I was waiting to see how long until this was posted. What in the world is Archie doing?

Please LaVall, don't follow suit. Gracias and de nada.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    If you read the above bolded statement we have already offered, along with Iowa, Xavier, and Ohio, to go along with now O$U and IU

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    Sounds like a lot of coaches don’t know what they’re doing.

Tentozen and knobcreekfan like this.
  12. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,706
    I was trying to forget, thanks for making me remember!! :mad::mad:

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,464
  14. ButlerFan96

ButlerFan96 Member

Money:
    $97
    Imagine landing Tate Eugene scooby. Man that would be special along with miles and chuck Harris

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $230
    If we're taking 5, give me brown, scooby, and coles.

Not super stoked about Tate with having Harris in the fold in the same class. People say Tate can play off the ball and be complements, but I like my 2 guard having more size personally. Brown and his lights out shooting, Scooby's versatility, Cole's inside game. One can only dream...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  16. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $279
    Barring Harris, there’s no one there that they’re even most likely. All of them is basically ‘I am going to marry Jessica Alba’ stuff.

You should probably prepare yourself for another recruit like the last one, then a couple transfers in the spring.

bu04 likes this.
  17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    You should probably take up reading lessons because Miles and Harris have already committed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

DawgPoundMac and DawgsMD like this.
  18. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    Yeah, a kid traveling across multiple states for an official visit turning into a commitment has the same probability of anyone marry Jessica Alba. Also showing your age here Blanch, couldn’t have picked a more relevant actress for your terrible analogy?

BHayden, Shimmy, Alcohol101 and 5 others like this.
  19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,527
    It's a slippery slope balancing positional needs or taking the best available players willing to accept a BU offer.

bumba and bu04 like this.
  20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,990
    Well Bea Arthur is dead, so...

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon, willisbrown and pjohnsto2003 like this.