Recruiting Notes 4.0 (The Summer of LaVall)

Discussion in 'Butler Recruiting' started by the_speakers_lab, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

Have no idea if we know of this kid!!! Really skinny but freak of an athlete!!! Really wish we would go after this kid!! ASAP!!

2. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $473
    Dude is a 5 star ranked 6th in the class of 2021, I'm sure the staff knows of him.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,881
    Pretty quiet out in these streets today...any rumory goodness is welcomed.

4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $850
    In 3 years, we are going to have 5 guys on the court, at the same time, that can put the ball on the floor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,990
    This is a friendly reminder for those of you who are new the board.

^^ THIS GUY POSTS NONSENSE ^^

He will refuse to give praise to what will now very likely be Butler’s best recruiting class ever (on paper) and will continue to post nihilistic commentary about the future of Butler basketball.

Rinse and repeat.

But feel free to prove me wrong Title and admit that you’ve been wrong about the staff’s recruiting chops.

2xDawg, #60 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  6. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $3,172
    He is Butler's version of Seth Davis. Whatever he says, bet the opposite. You will be in good shape almost every time.
    Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

NateDog and PSUButlerFan like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,604
    No question LJ is accomplishing putting his brand on this team. That alone is significant, but only half the job. Developing a team is the other half, but one has to like the direction this is heading.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    He's getting more talent in here...and if Tate is anywhere near what I think he will be, he and Battle will be a deadly offensive combo in a couple years. Tate should be like Baldwin-come in and be a factor right away.

We need a ready big IMO to finish this thing off. Coles is that guy.

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,721
    Hard to develop a team in any sport or business without sufficient talent.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Army Dawg!!! likes this.
  10. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,611
    Out of curiosity for the people who were upset/wanting LJ gone, does this recruiting cycle earn him the chance to coach them? Does he still need to hit some mark/level over the season? Future is looking bright and it feels great to hit on some priority recruits. Let's keep it rollin

Sent from my SM-G935P using Butler Hoops mobile app

MBA2003 likes this.
  11. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $288
    I have never been in the fire LJ camp. I will admit, toward the end of last season I had my moments though. I have always thought he needed time to get his team into place. I feel that even more now. Michigan may have never offered him a contract but they were sniffing around for sure, so that should say something about what people think of him around college basketball. He is showing he can recruit, now I think we have to give him a couple years to put it together on the floor. I think if KB is KB, Tucker is just a bit better than last year, Battle is what KB was as a freshman, and Sean can shoot the 3 ball we are looking at a tournament team. That doesn't even take into consideration what AT, Nze, Smits, David, and Golden can contribute. Man I am getting excited about this team!!!! Less than 100 days!!!!

MBA2003 and BU Fan in Illinois like this.
  12. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $969
    I've never doubted his ability to recruit but I will fully admit I have questioned his ability as an X's and O's coach. He has more than earned his weight in gold from a recruiting standpoint in my eyes, but I actually think tinkering with the staff to have at least one strong X's and O's guy would really benefit a guy like LJ. He's finally getting to the point where he's coaching up "his guys", so I think he has definitely bought himself another couple of years, especially with guys like Battle, Tate, Harris, etc...on the horizon and some of the younger kids currently on the roster.

SpartanDawgs and willisbrown like this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    I think it's like almost anything else, it's bought some time and patience for now, but if they throw up on the court and show anything like last year, those voices will come back and even louder. He needs to show an improved team this season. Even if that doesn't reflect in the record. There needs to be more of a Butler Basketball look and feel, a better effort and more competitive team so to speak. That was mostly missing last year.

With a certain me first chump out of the way and a much more talented front court, plus another year of learning under his belt...we should see improvement. This is year 4 total for him, year 3 at Butler, it's time to start showing something.

14. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $390
    IMO, the balance should almost always swing to trying to assemble the most talent (with character/personalities that fit in with the culture) over positional balance. If you have a couple ball handlers and at a couple bigs that can rebound & defend the paint, the rest of the roster "position-wise" doesn't matter a whole lot. Get the best players possible and tinker with lineups to fit everyone in.

MBA2003 and BU Fan in Illinois like this.
  15. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,209
    This is the idea that comes up a ton in the NFL Draft -- BPA versus need. I think in hoops, especially as it becomes "positionless" you need to take players that can do a few things very, very well regardless of their size/position. That's how you get players who play "point forward" for example. I think the point I want to stress is less about talent and more about scheme fit and talent.

I'm a big fan of the Colts and Ballard, and he stresses all the time about the culture they've built in Indy. They'll take a marginally less talented player who loves to work over the inverse.

16. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    Dayvion McKnight committed to Western Kentucky.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,881
    That's a good get and good fit for him. I think we'll see him turn some heads if WKU can punch a ticket while he's there.

18. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,444
    In case anyone is looking for a breakdown of Butler's current targets and their respective recruitments, I decided to write a piece today attempting to break that all down. This piece takes a look at the three early commits as well as these primary targets: Mike Miles, Matt Cross, Scooby Johnson, Eugene Brown, and JaKobe Coles.

I did not include any words on Toneari Lane because I have not seen complete confirmation regarding his top seven. If I am able to find confirmation on that recruitment, then I will add words immediately to make sure that the article is as all-encompassing as I can put together.

I also gave some of my thoughts on the outlook for the class. If I made any errors, I blame being tired :p - just let me know

Additionally, I am planning an interview with Myles Tate for next week (he's busy this week) so I will have a new article on the program's most recent commit coming soon as well!

2020 (but not so 20/20) Target Breakdown Article:

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/08/butler-basketball-recruiting-analyzing-targets-finish-2020-class/

jarik, ButlerFan89, BoyGeoff and 13 others like this.
  19. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $539
  20. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $154
    EXCELLENT Article - Thanks for the updates.